Reply to this topicStart new topic
> newbie
five-sola
post Feb 17 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,273

I have never played Shadowrun in any of its versions, though I have always been fascinated with it and the environment it simulates (big fan of Gibson's books :D )
. I have a small gaming group that I run other games in D20, old Marvel, nWOD stuff, . I am wondering if 4.0 is an "easy" enough game to pick up and run without much familiarity. I realize there will be a huge learning curve and re-reading the core book a few times to get a good grasp of where the info is located and how the game mechanics work out. Would anyone recomend jumping in on 4.0 or going back and finding 3.x in other places?

I ask here because I've read mixed reviews. Many think the rules have been organized better and streamlined and then others think it has ruined the game and made it not as playable. Since I play nWOD I realize some peoples reaction is to the new but I want to find out if it is more than that.

thanks for the info
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 17 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Jump into SR4. That's my two cents at least.

Oh, and welcome to Dumpshock. Abandon all hope ye who enter here. :)

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Feb 17 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #3

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Look. The people who say SR4 made the game less playable hates nWOD and d20. Shadowrun is still not as easy to understand as those systems, even with the fourth edition. But at least it's a bit closer now. It's a perfect time to start up with Shadowrun. Get the new edition and every upcomming book (that you want). You'll be in the loop from the start.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 17 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

I agree, SR4 is a good place to start fo a newbie.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 17 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

[double post]

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 17 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #6

Runner

As people have noted the vast majority of the negative reviews have come from old timers and many of them think the system has been oversimplified and/or the developments in the game world break with the atmosphere of previous editions - ie. old time players. I've yet to see a negative review from a newcomer to the game, quite to the contrary in fact. For its faults most people agree that SR4 is the most friendly edition and has the easiest learning curve for new players.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 17 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (mintcar @ Feb 17 2006, 11:04 AM)
Look. The people who say SR4 made the game less playable hates nWOD and d20. Shadowrun is still not as easy to understand as those systems, even with the fourth edition. But at least it's a bit closer now. It's a perfect time to start up with Shadowrun. Get the new edition and every upcomming book (that you want). You'll be in the loop from the start.

Not less playable. Less intelligent (or more specifically, treats players like idiots).

And I hate oWoD, too. The whole line sucks.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 17 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Criminy. Let's not turn this thread into another "tastes great, less filling" debate, okay?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 17 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

The only major, major objection I had making the change from SR3 to SR4 was going from "Skill + Pool" to "Stat + Skill." I just don't like the fact that a not-too-agile but highly skilled pistol shooter (Agil 2, Skill 5) is often just as effective as a stupidly agile but barely trained pistol shooter (Agil 6, Skill 1)... really doesn't sit well with me as a GM.

Asides from that, I do like the smoothness of the system, and a lot of the changes they made rolling into 4th ed from 3rd ed were for the better. Every version of the game had it's things that were broken, this one is no different... but it's easier to play. One of my players is completely new to Shadowrun (he had his second run last night), and he's learning very quickly, despite the added complication of playing a shaman his first time out.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 17 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #10

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Iīve played since SR2, and SR4 is definitly best. Those who donīt like SR4 had for the most part an, lets say "mathematical" attitude towards SR. If your group is into numbers crunching, SR3 would be better. Else, pick SR4.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #11

Runner

The guys in my game who crunched numbers in SR3 still do it in SR4... the numbers are just simpler (and the curves smoother).

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Feb 17 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,213

QUOTE (Shrike30)
The only major, major objection I had making the change from SR3 to SR4 was going from "Skill + Pool" to "Stat + Skill." I just don't like the fact that a not-too-agile but highly skilled pistol shooter (Agil 2, Skill 5) is often just as effective as a stupidly agile but barely trained pistol shooter (Agil 6, Skill 1)... really doesn't sit well with me as a GM.

Asides from that, I do like the smoothness of the system, and a lot of the changes they made rolling into 4th ed from 3rd ed were for the better. Every version of the game had it's things that were broken, this one is no different... but it's easier to play. One of my players is completely new to Shadowrun (he had his second run last night), and he's learning very quickly, despite the added complication of playing a shaman his first time out.

I can see where you are coming from but I know people who just are naturals at doing certain thing without training. The can shoot a gun for the first time at hit the bulleye whereas it takes most people years to develop to ablility. I game term a think that is why only six is allowed at chargen.

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Feb 17 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,018

Hey Synner, Im an oldtimer, and I love SR4. Tastes just like Chicken

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 17 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #14

Runner

I understand "natural aptitude" at things... but having a natural aptitude at every single thing that uses Agility (or the stat of your choice) has always seemed a little ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Feb 17 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #15

Target

Do you think the dice pools in sr3 solved that or do you think something else could be done?

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Feb 17 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #16

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

I think the new edition of Shadowrun is a good game on its own, and I think right now is a great time to be getting into it. I hope you take the time to form your own opinion of the game, and welcome to dumpshock!

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 17 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #17

Runner

QUOTE (Dv84good)
Do you think the dice pools in sr3 solved that or do you think something else could be done?

The closest thing to this in SR3 was the Combat Pool, with it's extrapolated value based on 3 stats I can't remember any more. Yeah, it was basically extra dice available to the character directly from his stats, but it was expressly limited to only being able to use as much Combat Pool on any given test as you had levels of the skill involved.

I've bumped the idea of a house rule around that would limit players to only being able to use as many "stat" dice on a test as they had "skill" dice in it, but the amount of bitching I'd have to put up with really makes that not worthwhile.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 17 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #18

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 17 2006, 02:54 PM)
Iīve played since SR2, and SR4 is definitly best. Those who donīt like SR4 had for the most part an, lets say "mathematical" attitude towards SR. If your group is into numbers crunching, SR3 would be better. Else, pick SR4.

Bullshit.

I value RP above everything else (even when it's stymied by crap canon setting), but I prefer SR3 because it does make more mathematical sense whereas SR4 is more like "...and then a miracle happens."

But, hey, the setting is presented in an even less consistent and sensical manner in SR4 than in any other edition of SR, so I have plenty RP reasons for not wanting to have anything to do with SR4. But since I'd have an easier time making my own game than fixing this, I'm just going to have to RP around the crap so long as I play with people who are canon-whores.

QUOTE (Azralon)
Criminy.  Let's not turn this thread into another "tastes great, less filling" debate, okay?

Well, if people are going to make generalizations about a group in which I am a part of (especially when they're wrong) then I feel pretty justified in responding to and correcting their crap.

+Quote Post
Dv84good
post Feb 17 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I've bumped the idea of a house rule around that would limit players to only being able to use as many "stat" dice on a test as they had "skill" dice in it, but the amount of bitching I'd have to put up with really makes that not worthwhile.

To bad that is a pretty good idea.

+Quote Post
DigitalSoul
post Feb 18 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 8,095

Well you can always just go with the suggested rules alterations for more gritty games with having the total success on a test limited to skill rank and defaulting to 1. I'd say that puts a damper the miracles and pick-up pros.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 18 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #21

Runner

Hm... that's really not a bad idea, *and* it's in the book. Works out a little smoother for the "natural aptitude" types, too... they're *more likely* to fill out their "max possible" successes than someone who's not apt, but the more skilled guy can succeed better, overall.

Also would reduce some of the brokenness that stems from physad "boost skill" dice.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 18 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Also would reduce some of the brokenness that stems from physad "boost skill" dice.

Also note that as of the latest errata these are capped...

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Feb 18 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

Yeah I'm almost done all of the SR4 book and i must say it does look alot easier, and knowing SR1-3 also makes it so much easier to understand also.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 18 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

I am an oltimer from SR2, too. ANd I like SR4.
Thats why Im doing all this houseruling stuff: Because its work that can be done in a finite ammount of time. Not like SR3 where one would have to reinvent the whole system.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Feb 18 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #25

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Azralon)
Criminy. Let's not turn this thread into another "tastes great, less filling" debate, okay?

I direct your attention toward:

QUOTE (five-sola)
Would anyone recomend jumping in on 4.0 or going back and finding 3.x in other places?

Would you care to explain how it's possible that it not?

Other than collecting up the opinions of others and deciding which set you like better (based on color, scent, pattern, and texture, I suppose), the only way to actually gather enough facts* to form your own opinion would be to read and play both. Asking "3 or 4" is only going to start an edition debate.

Also:

QUOTE (Ryu)
If your group is into numbers crunching, SR3 would be better. Else, pick SR4.

Patently silly.

*The term "facts" is used loosely in this case, of course, to describe personal opinions based on actually having experience with the subject at hand. This is opposed to the use of "opinion" in this post, which is to be read as "hot air, but the hot air that the individual posting it believes".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.