IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancer/Magic Question, Why can't technomancers be magicians?
Moebius
post Feb 20 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,284

I've been playing SR since second edition. Though I have visited this forum on a semi regular basis for quite some time now this is my first posting here.
First of all I apologize if this topic was discussed before but after searching for some time and only getting completely different topics I just gave up.

There's one thing about SR4 that I really don't get:
Why are technomancy and magic mutually exclusive?

1) If technomancy is not magical by nature, there shouldn't be any connection between the two (and so we should get mundanes, awakened, technos and people who are both). On the other hand, if technomancy is a form of magic, why aren't there some form of hybrids at least (like mystical adepts)?

2) As far as game balance is concerned this is not an issue either. Mages have always been karma sinks, technomancers seem to be even more. That means that a character that combines both will NEVER have enough karma to do even half of the things he wants.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to play such a character (and if I did I'd play a mage/hacker instead or just drop the corresponding rule in my games). I just don't like simply being told that I may not do something without being given an at least somewhat plausible reason.

So I'm very curious if someone knows the reason for this rule or at least could come up with some ideas, because I couldn't.

Btw, I know that this was already an issue in SR3 but with the different character generation system it was at least more understandable...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 20 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

<shrug> It's a mystery. Maybe the same synapses necessary to cast spells are used by technomancers. Maybe technomancers are an evolutionary development of the non-magicians in the metahuman genepool. Maybe an angel implodes everytime a magician uses a complex form.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 20 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I think that the rules were intended for "game balance", but are not needed, due to the double karma sink problem that you mentioned.

As far as coming up with a plausible explanation, technomancers and mages are both people who can do what they do because their brains are wired a certain unusual way. Maybe the one weird set of synapses precludes the other weird set of synapses being possible. In other words, if you are wired for magic, it short-circuits the ability to be a technomancer, and vice versa.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 20 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

I think that in a very fundamental way, technomancers' souls are on the Net. Which means tht metaphysically speaking, they aren't people, or really living, in the normal sense. Which means that they are as far from casting magic as one could possibly get.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 20 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Beacuse fire elementals can not be water elementals also. Some things are just too different.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 20 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Riggers cannot BE drones... only control them. *sigh*

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Feb 20 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

One of SR's central themes through all editions has been the fact that Magic and Technology are in opposition to each other. Someone who "lives" in the technological world is at the opposite end of the spectrum from someone in the Magical world.

It's like someone being a Facist and a Communist. :)

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 21 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (BlackHat)
Riggers cannot BE drones... only control them. *sigh*

I´d imagin Lord DEUS had planty of rigger-drones in his devine Network. But the ways of the AI are not to be known by humble SINners :P

+Quote Post
Frackula
post Feb 21 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,279

Resonance cancels out Magic and Astral because of its quantum flapdoodle wave frequency.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Feb 21 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Well, magic workd on paradigns. The way you do magic has a lot to do with How you think about the world. I personally think that the paradign technomancers have precludes them from ever thinking is a way conducive to magic. The two skill sets require radically differing ways of thinking, that are mutually exclusive.

+Quote Post
Moebius
post Feb 21 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #11

Target

Thanks for your ideas.

QUOTE (mdynna)
One of SR's central themes through all editions has been the fact that Magic and Technology are in opposition to each other.  Someone who "lives" in the technological world is at the opposite end of the spectrum from someone in the Magical world.

Sure, but it's not done that drastically anywhere else as to just forbid something entirely. Awakened characters with cyber/bio have a far greater impact on game balance and are merely loosing some of their mojo in this case (with initiation they can even counter that).

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Well, magic workd on paradigns. The way you do magic has a lot to do with How you think about the world. I personally think that the paradign technomancers have precludes them from ever thinking is a way conducive to magic. The two skill sets require radically differing ways of thinking, that are mutually exclusive.

In that case I'd imagine that Chaos Mages or similar technophiles could have the right mindset.
Besides, nothing prevents mages from becoming hackers (who work with a similar skill set) and imho hackers are a lot less 'mystical' than technomancers.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Feb 21 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

It is a mystery!

;)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 21 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #13

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (mdynna @ Feb 20 2006, 05:07 PM)
One of SR's central themes through all editions has been the fact that Magic and Technology are in opposition to each other. Someone who "lives" in the technological world is at the opposite end of the spectrum from someone in the Magical world.

It's like someone being a Facist and a Communist. :)

HAHAHAHA

Oh, man. No, seriously.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 21 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

You could always say the Technomancer Gene and the Magus Factor live at the same Chromosomal Address* (*term I just made up, I'm sure Frank will be along eventually with more correct terminology) but are different genetic sequences, hence if you have one gene you can't have the other.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 21 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

its locus

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 21 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Moebius @ Feb 20 2006, 04:01 PM)

To answer that -- or even discuss it adequately -- we'd need to know more about:

A) The true nature of Shadowrun magic,
B) The true nature of Shadowrun AIs,
C) What a technomancer really is.

Unfortunately we ain't got much of that data yet. Likely we'll never have enough, so that leaves the answer firmly in the realm of "GM whim."

+Quote Post
Moebius
post Feb 21 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #17

Target

Ok, the following is mostly SR3 related since nobody knows if or how those facts will make it into SR4:

- an awakened person could become an otaku if transformed by an AI (NPC only)
- an otaku could become (partially) awakened due to SURGE

So it can't be completely based on genetics.

QUOTE (Azralon)
Unfortunately we ain't got much of that data yet. Likely we'll never have enough, so that leaves the answer firmly in the realm of "GM whim."

I'm afraid that is propably right. Obviously it can't be helped though...

+Quote Post
The Horror
post Feb 21 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 7,251

Because mages and Technomancers are the same thing, only nobody has figured it out yet. Matrix, astral, magic, technology, all the same thing seen through different filters. ???

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 21 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Moebius @ Feb 20 2006, 03:01 PM)
There's one thing about SR4 that I really don't get:

We have the information to answer this.

Munching out is bad, 'mmkay?

What we currently lack, as Azralon outlined, is the full IC explaination. The only IC information we have are hand waving tidbits such as Technomancer body chemistry being somehow very different.

Magic and Technology aren't opposites in Shadowrun. They clash and conflict at times, but Shadowrun is still where Man meets Magic and Machine. They all hang and party at the same place and influence each other.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 22 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

in-game, not enough is known about technomancers (or mages/adepts, for that matter) to say why their abilities are never expressed in the same person--or, honestly, whether or not they ever express in the same person.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 22 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #21

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

To be fair, Brahne, SR is also lacking a completely coherent IC explanation for cyberware or magic or tech in general or, well, anything.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 22 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #22

Guests

Except NERPS ;)

+Quote Post
neko128
post Feb 22 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

My reply would be... For the same reason Samuel Verner got a headache while decking. A Technomancer's mind is wired differently than a norm's; a Magician's mind is wired differently than a norm's. The differences in wiring are just... Non-compatible.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 22 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (SL James @ Feb 21 2006, 08:20 PM)
To be fair, Brahne, SR is also lacking a completely coherent IC explanation for cyberware or magic or tech in general or, well, anything.

I find it helps to rank the different aspects on the Crack Pipe Scale. How that works is you estimate, or empirically determine if that is your thing, how many pulls on a crack pipe you need for the aspect to make perfectly logical sense to you.

Examples
Economics of shadowrunning - One pull
Basic Cyberware - Two pulls
Technomancers - Looks like we are going to need a bigger bag of rocks.
Anything about California - ...and a heroin rig.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Feb 22 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

QUOTE (Moebius)
Ok, the following is mostly SR3 related since nobody knows if or how those facts will make it into SR4:

- an awakened person could become an otaku if transformed by an AI (NPC only)
- an otaku could become (partially) awakened due to SURGE

So it can't be completely based on genetics.

QUOTE (Azralon)

I'm afraid that is propably right. Obviously it can't be helped though...

My theory sorta goes along with the mystery of the technomancer revolution:

Otaku could (apparently) acquire limited magical potential, and mages could be turned by AI's. My guess is that with the age of wireles,s the constant bombardment of the net on those with otaku potential made it mutate/evolve. This evolution came from an excess amount of net access, which of course, made the Otaku goodness grow, etc, etc.

Being that, Otaku's were baby techomancers, and never got enough of a dose to become immune to the influence of magic. Being that Otaku's burned out as they got older (or so I recall) that probably goes with the theory of a baby techno.

But, when you make it bud like that, it becomes a full power of its own, and it doesn't like sharing with magic. My guess is that it involves the extremes of magic Vs. Technology, as also suggested.

Mages have that inborn power and the astral plane constantly fueling them, Technomancers have the wireless net and their own brain mechanics for the technomancy.

Once you go one way or another, you're too 'corrupt' for the other to find a place.

Or so my theory goes anyways.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.