IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skill Ratings: Modified vs. Bonus, Are you sure you know the difference?
mdynna
post Feb 22 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,145

I picked up on something that was clarified in the lastest errata (v 1.3) and I wanted to make sure everyone else was aware of it as well.

In SR4 there is (now) a clear distinction between a modification to a skill rating and a bonus to a skill rating. The errata re-wrote 2 very key paragraphs on pg. 63 and pg. 109 that talk about the difference. The most important point is that an implant, power, or ability that modifies a skill rating has a limit: the modified skill rating cannot exceed the BASE rating by more than 1.5, rounded DOWN.

That means that for your Gunslinger Adept to have a modified Pistols skill of 9, he/she must have a the base skill at 6. This distinction also makes other ablities, like Kinestics, way more powerful as they provide bonus dice and thus, can "improve" something an unlimited amount.

I just wanted to make sure everyone else saw what I saw.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 22 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

I've seen it and I dont like it. Especially the part where they say that you add the rating (reflexrecorder . . .) when advancing your skills.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 23 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

I havn't seen a lot of skill rating modifiers. Is there anything besides Reflex Recorders (which I find ok to hinder learning, actually; makes sense, that those artificial reflexes can get in the way and thus make things a bit more difficult)?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 23 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

The Adept Power of course.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 23 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #5

jacked in

- deleted, because it was false -

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 23 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Ah, yes this means that Mr. Scary, the not-fully optimized starting social adept can only roll 23 dice when telling you that you "REALLY WANT TO GIVE HIM ALL OF YOUR MONEY" (Cha 7 (elf) + Con 6 + specialization (2) + improved ability (3) + Kinestics (5)) :love:

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 23 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 23 2006, 05:26 AM)
But those work differently. The Improved Ability dice can be no higher than the Base Skill Rating (but are not limited to 50% of that Rating, like the so called modifications). They specifically do not change the Skill Rating even.

They increase the skill level, you cant go higher than 9 (10 with special) with his.

Read errata 1.3 for more info.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 23 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #8

jacked in

Ahh... Improved Ability has been errata'ed as well. My bad. :)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 23 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Thanee)
Ahh... Improved Ability has been errata'ed as well. My bad. :)

Bye
Thanee

The errata was mostly just removing the part that was confusing, the extra limit that never came into effect.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 23 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (mdynna)
In SR4 there is (now) a clear distinction between a modification to a skill rating and a bonus to a skill rating.

For the record there is actually no such thing as a "bonus to skill rating" in SR4. There are modified skills and bonus/dice pool modifiers. The former are capped, the latter aren't.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 24 2006, 06:58 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Crusher Bob is right about how ugly it can get with the adept power of kinesics, which is only limited by the Magic Attribute, and which can also stack with improved ability in social skills. In a campaign where the GM doesn't sharply delineate what can, and can not, be done with social skills... the social adept is the ultimate munchkin.

+Quote Post
The Horror
post Feb 24 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,251

Does this rule also apply to attributes? Ie. If an attribute is at rating 4, is the modified maximum a rating 6?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 24 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

AFAIK, stats are only limited to the augmented max (Max x 1.5) so it's possible to have a natural reaction of one and use reaction enchancers, etc to get your reaction all the way up to 9. This works best for reaction, as there is plenty of stuff out there that will modify it.

A proposed house rule that makes more sense is to make the augmented max of a stat the current stat +3. It removes some rounding issued and means that you can't have the reaction 1 (9) guy anymore.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Feb 24 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (The Horror)
Does this rule also apply to attributes? Ie. If an attribute is at rating 4, is the modified maximum a rating 6?

No. Attributes aren't subject to this.
Only skills have the (base stat *1.5) limitation.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 24 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #15

jacked in

Would the Synthacardium be counted as bonus dice? I think so, but I'm not entirely sure. :)

i.e. could you have Athletics 1 and Synthacardium-3 for 4 dice + AGI/STR?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Feb 24 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 24 2006, 01:45 PM)
Would the Synthacardium be counted as bonus dice? I think so, but I'm not entirely sure. :)

i.e. could you have Athletics 1 and Synthacardium-3 for 4 dice + AGI/STR?

Bye
Thanee

It's pretty cleary labeled as "bonus" and "dice pool modifier". So it's not limited, it just adds up.
And yes, it would work as you describe.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Feb 24 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I just thought of something I'm not clear about. Can you get Improved Ability for a skill that you have as part of a Skill Group? The rules seem clear that you can get Bonus Dice to a skill inside of a Group but I'm not sure about modifying a skill inside of a group.

If you can, what improvement cost would you pay?

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 24 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #18

Running Target

why shouldnt you ?
After you applied improvements the groupd is considered split up.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 24 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 22 2006, 07:33 PM)
I've seen it and I dont like it. Especially the part where they say that you add the rating (reflexrecorder . . .)  when advancing your skills.

Think of it as raising your skill with money instead of karma.

If I have a natural 5 in Unarmed and I'm really looking forward to getting a 6, then I have two routes. I can either spend 12 karma, or 10k nuyen and .1 Essence.

Obviously it's not going to be as good of a tradeoff if you have a natural 2 in the skill and had a choice between 6 karma or 10k nuyen + .1 Essence.

In some cases (depending on your available resources and long-term goals), that'll be more desirable. In some, not. In any case it's good to have options to choose from.

What it does do in the case of "long-view" adepts is make them seriously think about raising their skill up to a 6 (or 7 with Aptitude) and only then start getting levels in Improved Ability. The end result can be the same as if they started with Improved Ability, but the karma costs will be noticeably different.

That might seem inequitable (read: unfair), but it's a matter of if you want immediate performance gains or if you're okay with a slower but more efficient advancement.

+Quote Post
Frackula
post Feb 24 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 8,279

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Ah, yes this means that Mr. Scary, the not-fully optimized starting social adept can only roll 23 dice when telling you that you "REALLY WANT TO GIVE HIM ALL OF YOUR MONEY" (Cha 7 (elf) + Con 6 + specialization (2) + improved ability (3) + Kinestics (5)) :love:

Specialize in seduction and you have a gigolo adept. Oh, and put him on his Home Ground for 2 more dice.

"I have a license for that assault rifle, officer. And to prove it to you I will sex you up!"

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 24 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #21

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Allright that's twenty-five dice, twenty-five, do I hear twenty-six, anybody build twenty-six? Twenty-six dice for a social task from a starting character, I've got twenty-five, from the home-ground-gigolo, going once....going twice......

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 24 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Frackula @ Feb 24 2006, 12:54 PM)
Specialize in seduction and you have a gigolo adept. Oh, and put him on his Home Ground for 2 more dice.

"I have a license for that assault rifle, officer. And to prove it to you I will sex you up!"

So, uh, exactly where is his Home Ground? Or is that something that I shouldn't ask? :|

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 24 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 24 2006, 01:57 PM)
Allright that's twenty-five dice, twenty-five, do I hear twenty-six, anybody build twenty-six?  Twenty-six dice for a social task from a starting character, I've got twenty-five, from the home-ground-gigolo, going once....going twice......

Exceptional Attribute: Charisma. Go ahead and buy up the 9 Cha in chargen as your one capped attribute.

If there were room for both Aptitude: Con and Home Ground, I'd get 'em both, but HG is the better buy for our purposes.

Oh, and go ahead and get Magic capped so you can burn a point of it for pheromones.

+Quote Post
Frackula
post Feb 24 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #24

Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Frackula @ Feb 24 2006, 12:54 PM)

So, uh, exactly where is his Home Ground? Or is that something that I shouldn't ask? :|

Whatever it is, it involves lots of red lights and loud noises.

+Quote Post
Frackula
post Feb 24 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 24 2006, 12:57 PM)
Allright that's twenty-five dice, twenty-five, do I hear twenty-six, anybody build twenty-six?  Twenty-six dice for a social task from a starting character, I've got twenty-five, from the home-ground-gigolo, going once....going twice......

Con (seduction +2): 6 (Improved Con +2) (+2 Trickster Mentor Spirit)(+2 Home Ground)(+2 First Impression)(+1 kinesics)(8 cha, 5 + 3 pheromones) = 25 dice, 27 if burning minimum starting Edge

And Mr. Gigolo is a Mystic Adept with a Spellcasting ability of 5 (also Magic 5, Ess 5.2). He has Control Emotions, so that's a maximum of -5 dice to an opposing social test!

Oh, and he wears Trid Phantasm clothing with nothing underneath.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.