Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Software tools, Are they Required?
Aku
post Feb 23 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

As the sub title suggests, does programming require tools? I know in Sr3, i think you just needed a computer system to do it...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Feb 23 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

Since programming isn't a build/repair test I'd say No.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 23 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

it isnt?

QUOTE (p.240)

Coding your own programs
...Programming software is handled like other build tasks as noted under using technical skills to build and repair p. 125

+Quote Post
Westiex
post Feb 23 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,715

I'd suggest checking out the relavent section - its in Matrix, P76.

But you basically need

A) Time. Lots of it, depending on the program that you're coding.
B) A good computer (programming) skill
C) A computer with enough memory - preferably double the amout required for the program free.

Added bonuses

A) Knowledge skills in the relvent programming field - these reduce the TN for the programming test, allowing more successes, thus less time.
B) Programming suite, of a level equal to your programming skill - this will roughly halve the time and may give complimentary dice.
C) Access to a mainframe.
D) Time

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 23 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Minimally, yes, I think it would require a commlink or computer of some sort... probably with a good enough system to run the program you eventually intend to create.

You can't just create a program using a coconut and some string.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 23 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

@Westiex

There is no Matrix book in SR4.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Feb 23 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I totally see the need for a Software Kit. Basically I see that as the SR equivalent of MS Visual Studio. Without the Software Kit you're basically programming in Notepad. Ask any professional programmer you know and they'll tell you that coding in an IDE like Visual Studio certainly makes things easier/faster than doing it in Notepad. So, an SR *could* program without the tools, but I could certainly justify the penalty given in the B/R modifiers table.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Feb 23 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

And what kind of program would a software facility be? :-)

I think, in the Unwired book, we're likely to see the "Programming Suite" program return to SR4 - which was basically this same concept, except that it had ratings (which tools do not, really).

For the time being, saying a player needs a :nuyen: 500 software tool (suite) to program without penalty seems fine to me.

Course, if your shadowrunners have months to sit around writing programs, you sort of need to kick them in the rear and give them some missions to do.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Feb 23 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (BlackHat)
And what kind of program would a software facility be? :-)

A small army of eager fan-boy co-op students willing to help you write your program!

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 23 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 23 2006, 09:46 AM)
@Westiex

There is no Matrix book in SR4.

His point, I think, is that he is addressing what has been considered required tools for the job in the past. Basically a computer, but a beefier one that normal. A literal translation would lead to just requiring a Response 2 commlink, assuming they aren't running one or more Agents or other programs to help out, since any single program can fit an a Response 1 commlink.

@BlackHat Tools do have a rating after a fashion. On page 125.
Tools and/or Parts Are:
Inadequate –2
Unavailable –4 or not allowed
Superior +1 or more

Potentially different levels of Superior is roughly equivalent to multiple ratings.

Combining all this I'd like come to:

Commlink Response 2 only = -2
Commlink Response 3 and Programming Agent = +Agent Rating

Working on a Mainframe (large node) +1 (superior working conditions)

Access to Design documents for this program type +2 (AR assumed), requires Browse running so Commlink 4

Of course even with all these bonuses a Team is still likely about the only way to build anything but the most trival program in what I would call a reasonable, meaning playable, amount of time.

+Quote Post
bladepoet
post Feb 23 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,271

Ummm,

sorry to disappoint, but I program for a living and I use a simple text editor, as do many people I know.

It is quite common to do so on Linux/UNIX systems and derivates.

It depends on what you are coding, in what language etc.

There are however various other tools, like Revision Systems, Debuggers, Compilers etc etc.

Also, there are enough free tools about which are in no way inferior to commercial, proprietery products.

As such, I am unsure you require anything other than the hardware (as operating systems seem to be implied in those costs in SR)

Thank you

bladepoet

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 23 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (bladepoet @ Feb 23 2006, 10:57 AM)
Ummm,

sorry to disappoint, but I program for a living and I use a simple text editor, as do many people I know.

It is quite common to do so on Linux/UNIX systems and derivates.

It depends on what you are coding, in what language etc.

There are however various other tools, like Revision Systems, Debuggers, Compilers etc etc.

Also, there are enough free tools about which are in no way inferior to commercial, proprietery products.

As such, I am unsure you require anything other than the hardware (as operating systems seem to be implied in those costs in SR)

Thank you

bladepoet

Free tool does not mean non-existant tool. :)

Past canon is that there is only 1 programming language in SR, Hololisp. It can be assumed that a very basic development environment in the form of being able to manipulate and order icons around.

I suggest not trying too hard to equate SR computing to RL. I find general computing in SR is about a 3 or 4 Pull on the Crack Pipe Scale, and in places 5 or 6 Pulls. For example decking via satelite link.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Feb 23 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Thanks Brahm, that was basically my point. I certainly don't want to wade into another thread that tries to reconcile SR and RL computing. (No one even THINK the word "encryption" please)

+Quote Post
Westiex
post Feb 23 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,715

Past canon is that there is only 1 programming language in SR, Hololisp. It can be assumed that a very basic development environment in the form of being able to manipulate and order icons around.

Negative on that. SR(3) Matrix book offers several different languages, applicable only if you take into account the 'bug' rules. (P81)

And, ah. No, I didn't mean that thats what was established, I just didn't see the SR4 subforum bit.

+Quote Post
tete
post Feb 23 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

Obviously there is some tool, either included with the OS or Freeware. It may not give you any extra dice though. I would rule an advanced IDE would give you dice on some types of programs(big complicated ones), because although you could write it all in a text editior the bigger the program the harder it is for your brain to keep track of and thus why the IDEs exist.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Feb 23 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Ha-ha! Renraku Teng.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 23 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it's easily possible that programming in SR is impossible without specialized tools. today, sure, you can just open up any text editor and start typing in code--but SR code is not text-based, it's VR-based. see, what happens is, you take code objects and assemble them like legos. the code objects themselves come from LA LA LA NOT THINKING ABOUT IT.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Feb 23 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

One the same topic, is there any rumours/indications there will be rules on expert systems that can be made/bought to make the programs??

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.