IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> real-life comlink?, without the sim module and AR tho...
hobgoblin
post Mar 15 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060...60315-6391.html

its a wristwearable computer :wobble:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 15 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

It's still in theory.

And, if anything, it's probably nothing more than a glorified cell phone. Calc, text, calling, calender, basic games and maybe music. Nothing to get all worked up over.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 16 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

err, they plan is to use a full version of windows xp. as in the same kind that they use in tablet pc's (and that microsoft made another variant of for the origami platform)...

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Mar 16 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

In the next couple of years, your going to start to see alot of mobile devices doing things you didn't expect them too. You carry one device and its a cell phone, a organizer, a ipod, a computer, a TV, and all that that entails...

The commlink really is just around the corner.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 16 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

In a few years, yes, it will probably be all that and a bag of chips ™.

Right now? Glorified cell phone. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen wrist-mounted cellphones yet. They're all over futuristic movies. Why hasn't some Corporate Shmuck come up with the design yet?

+Quote Post
Azathfeld
post Mar 16 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,313

Mmm, my iPAQ would fit on my wrist if I chose to wear it that way. 624 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM, WiFi and Bluetooth. I use it to run spreadsheet programs and read the errata when I run Shadowrun, which adds to the atmosphere. I watch videos on it, play music, and I have all of my gaming PDFs stored on a flash memory card. It's literally 600+ times as powerful as the first computer I owned.

It's only not wrist mounted because that's actually a damnably awkward way to access something.

The commlink is barely ahead of today's technology, if at all. In five years we'll laugh at the way tech works in "2070" the same way that SR1's technology is laughably out of date now.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 16 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Tech is always behind the times. This is why I find SR4 to be too "pretty" and "cookie-cutter".

We're already seeing purely wireless cities come into being. Google is working on one, and several other internet companies are doing so as well.

Ten years from now, 4th Ed will be ancient in terms of tech. The only thing we'll still be in want of is 'ware. Most of that probably won't come around due to the testing behind it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.