> Safe houses in SR4
Edward
post Mar 20 2006, 06:57 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

Safe houses in SR4

Looking at SR4 lifestyle rules it specifically states that you can only have one lifestyle and safe houses just count as extra expenses. But I can’t find a reference to what they would cost.

Edward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 20 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

p. 304-305

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Mar 20 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Aye, but at 500Y per day they must be talking about renting someone's secure and private Safehouse, not the Upkeep of maintaning a hidden building somewhere otherwise no team could afford the Monthly bill of 15,000Y for even a single Team Safehouse, which I find very hard to believe.

Personally if I were running a game I think I'd charge something like ~half of normal Lifestyle Cost for just a semi-private building plus any extras that the Team might want, such as Security Systems, Weapons, food, ect...

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Mar 20 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

I just let players buy as many lifestyles as they want. What's the harm?

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 20 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I usually price safehouses between 50 and 500 nuyen depending on what services are provided. A one room economy apartment in the barrens with nothing but a bed, stove, and toilet would cost less than renting a house equipped with a full rigger sensor suite, wifi inhibiting paint/wallpaper/construction matierals, with a trained paracritter guard and bound spirits :D

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 20 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

personally, i think the designers were smoking crack when they came up with the 1 lifestyle per character rule.

honestly, what is so horribly gamebreaking about having multiple lifestyles? what is so hideously wrong with the runners *gasp* actually having a place that they use for hiding when things go bad? are they just idiots, and don't have enough brains to know that, sooner or later, they're gonna need to hide from someone?

frankly, mandatory stupidity (not having a safehouse owned and ready at all times) simply should not cost the characters anything (let alone 500 :nuyen: a day). that's called punishing the players for what you forced them to do. gee, that sounds like a great idea. while we're at it, why not make a rule that you have to take your knife (only) to a gunfight, and as a special rule just to make you feel extra welcome, first aid only works on knife wounds. gee, that sounds like a great rule too.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Mar 20 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

I would totally allow multiple lifestyles, I see absolutely nothing gamebreaking about multiple lifestyles. In fact, I regard them as almost mandatory. However, I certainly charge them for the lifestyles.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 20 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Geekkake)
I would totally allow multiple lifestyles, I see absolutely nothing gamebreaking about multiple lifestyles. In fact, I regard them as almost mandatory. However, I certainly charge them for the lifestyles.

oh, absolutely charge them for the lifestyles. that's the limiting factor of course... i figured that was kind of assumed. you know, right up there with "yes you can buy ex-ex rounds only. no, you're not getting them free with the purchase of your gun." (in fact, so far as i can tell, SR does not, at least in 3rd or 4th, give you a loaded gun right off the bat... you have to buy bullets separately. which certainly makes sense.)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 21 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #9

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

If a character has multiple lifestyles, which one do you use to determine starting cash?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 21 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

whichever one is active.

personally, i would probably give a small discount on the other lifestyles (maybe even a big discount), like at least 10%, maybe as high as 25% (i don't think 50% unless i heard some pretty persuasive arguements... the real estate is the costly part, IMO, anyways).

so, whichever one is active, they pay full price for, and that is what their starting cash is based on. that's how i'd handle it, anyways.

if they paid full price for all of them, i'd give them the highest.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Mar 21 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

I'd charge full price for all, and give them cash based on the highest

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 21 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

i'd give the discount mainly to represent that they're not paying for food, power, water, etc while not actively living there.

but of course, YMMV.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 21 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #13

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

I wouldn't give a discount, but that's just because in SR3, lots of people would buy a permanent squatter lifestyle as a bolt-hole. While it's a lot pricier to do that now, it still gives someone quite an advantage to have a permanent lifestyle that's unlikely to be touched.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post May 6 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,116

Coming to this conversation a little late, but was about to start a thread and decided to search first. Voila, I'm not the only one with a major case of the ass regarding safehouses in SR4. Some background..

SR3 page 46
It is possible for a character to purchase more than one lifestyle at a time, and may even be smart to do so. The additional lifestyles would represent the investment the character has made into creating and sustaining safehouses, private storage spaces and so on.

SR4 page 84
Characters can only purchase one lifestyle at a time, though they may pre-purchase it for months in advance if they like. Lifestyles only account for the character's regular daily living expenses and accommodations -- additional investments such as safehouses, private storage, garages, workshops, etc. must be bought and paid for separately.

SR4 page 261
Characters may only buy one lifestyle. This lifestyle truly reflects the runner's standard living circumstances. Additional living amenities such as hotel stays, workshops, safehouses, and so on are handled as separate costs.

SR4 page 304
Safehouse 500¥ per day

So, it's clear that the designers of both SR3 and SR4 agree on the terrible importance of safehouses and the presumption that runners/runner teams will have them. It's also clear that in SR4 they simply ask you to pay for the safehouse out of pocket as opposed to being part of a separate lifestyle, which makes sense to me especially given the argument in a post above about not really living there and consuming electricity, food, etc.

What ISN'T clear, however, is why page 304 lists safehouses -- something that everyone is assumed to have -- at 500¥ a bloody day.

If it is a typo (which I'm willing to wage) and was supposed to be 50¥ per day instead, then that would bring the safehouse cost to 1500¥/month (500¥ shy of a Low Lifestyle) and that seems perfectly reasonable.

So, instead of altering the rules to allow multiple lifestyles, is it not simpler to assume the cost was in error?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 6 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Those are service costs... if you check into a guarded underground hotel (called safehouse) to hide - presumably that includes food (and clothing).

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post May 6 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Those are service costs... if you check into a guarded underground hotel (called safehouse) to hide - presumably that includes food (and clothing).

But this suggests, then, that there is a fundamental omission of costs for personal safehouses... an aspect of the game that (as quoted on page references above) is integral to running.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 6 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #17

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Indeed, that's up to the GM.

Some sample character presented in the book have the knowledge skill where to find such safehouses for rental, though.

+Quote Post
fool
post May 6 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

does the skill let you find a "safe house" or simply a safe place to lay low for a while like the character example who is hiding out from a gang and needs to make a weappon and some light (armorer skill example I think)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 6 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

What's the difference?

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post May 7 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

I don't know about you, but if I was on the lam and trusted no one then the last place I'd want to hide out is a place that specializes in hosting people who are on the lam and want a place to hide out. =) What an opportunity to get royally screwed. I mean, the proprietor KNOWS that whoever is there is wanted. Reputation alone prevents them from turning the wanted party in. Yikes! And hell, even if the proprietor isn't dirty (or desperate) there's always the hired help who just might be.

This "hotel" thing sounds like a really, really, bad idea. =)

As such, I don't think that's what the 500¥ item in the list is for.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 7 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

I seriously doubt you're checking into a hotel. Instead it represents you calling up your fixer and him setting you up with some fresh digs for a while.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 7 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #22

Hoppelhäschen 5000

If you see it from an info-leak-PoV, calling your fixer is even worse than simply showing up at some hotel. ;)

+Quote Post
Big D
post May 7 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

I could see $500/day as emergency expenses for short-duration unprepared hiding--you'll spend a lot more finding a bolthole at the last minute, covering your tracks, making it all look legit, and running recon and planning for your next move than normal. The price should include costs for fast but extensive preparation--if you decide to risk just checking into a motel under a fake SIN and hoping that the owners don't twig to anything or sell you out, normal motel costs will work.

However, that only makes sense for unprepared hiding. That should only come into play if the prepared safehouses have all been burned (traitor in the team, somebody got captured and is an interrogation risk, deployed on short notice to a city with no prepared safehouses or time to get them, etc.).

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 7 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

To throw my opinion into the ring as well, I'd say that a 500¥-per-night safehouse is safe. You're paying for the security, so it makes sense that it would be, indeed, a safe house. And it doesn't have to be some sort of hotel that caters to shadowrunners (that would be almost as silly as a mall that caters to shadowrunners ...). It could be the family of a distant cousin one night, and an abandoned store on gang turf another night, and a hotel suite the next night; it just averages around 500¥ for food and lodging for each one, so it's easiest to just call it 500¥ and dispense with the niggling details.

It makes sense that a safehouse would be separate from one's lifestyle. I mean, keeping a separate lifestyle as a "safehouse" rather defeats the purpose. The useful thing about a safehouse is that you've never been there before, and you'll never go back; it might not even ever be used as a safehouse again.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 7 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

If you see it from an info-leak-PoV, calling your fixer is even worse than simply showing up at some hotel. ;)

Only if you have a low loyalty rating for him.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.