Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wired Reflexes- are they worth it?
Mongoose
post Mar 26 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I can see the low price of wired 1 and 2 maybe apealing to some folks, but what's the point of wired 3 in the new edition? Its only marginally less expensive than the bioware that has the same effect, but the bioware has a hugely lower essence cost. Wired 3 has avaialability 20, vs 18 for level 3 synaptic accelerators, so neither is avaialble to starting characters. Bioware would be easier to conceal from scans and such.

To recap, the bioware is just as effective (moreso if you consider the space it leaves for other implants / magic), eaiser on the body, AND easier to buy, AND easier to get past security.

So, does anybody have a use for wired 3 these days? The only one I can see is maybe if you want to have an "old school" samurai who got wired a long time ago, before the "new generation" of bioware came along. Which is cool, but that's a HUGE premium (in essence, and cash if you try to get it anywhere near as essence friendly as the bioware) to pay for a flavor piece.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Mar 26 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

consider this- bioware reflexes 3 will always be 1.5 essence.

but if i get deltaware (50%), and have more bioware than cyberware (easy to do), then that 5 essence becomes 1.25e. so there are some cases where it is a good thing, but they are few and far between.

the other consideration, is you can turn wired reflexes OFF.

+Quote Post
ronin3338
post Mar 26 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,307

Might make a difference later if they add back the Stress factor for bioware. :-|

Seriously though, I never gave any of my sam's Wired-3. It was never essence friendly, and I didn't like the thought of them being all jittery. 'sides, I got better uses for all that essence loss.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Mar 26 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

consider this- bioware reflexes 3 will always be 1.5 essence.

...unless you get the Boosted Reflexes Delta Grade. In SR4, Wired Reflexes are crappy old tech. There is no reason for anyone to buy Wired 3 under any circumstances, they are craptastic and expensive. Everything in Shadowrun got cheaper except some of the old iconic gear like Wired Reflexes and Dermal Plating - those things just got thrown on the scrap heap.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Mar 26 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Tuelish- eh? Why is having more bioware going to reduce the essence cost of your cyber? I'm not entirely familiar with the rules yet. If having loads of bioware drops the essence cost of basic wired 3 to 2.5, I can maybe see it being worth it... nah, 1.5 for 40g more is still better.

ronin3338- I did play a sr2 (with bits of 3) character with wired 3, and he was pretty effecitve, in part because he also had some cheap (but effective) bioware to make him even faster, and a bit tougher- besides just being dang hard to hit.
But I'm not saying I want to play such a character in SR4. My point was, wired 3 used to be disticntive and offered some useful edge you couldn't otherwise get. I'm not saying it was the best use of thier essence, but now its both not avaialable to starting characters, and the things that match it are cheaper and have fewer drawbacks. So why's it still in the book?
IMO, turning wired refles off isn't much of an advantage compared to synaptic accelerators, because there doesn't seem to be any drawback to having the bioware active all the time. {Nor is there any drawback to magical reflex enhancement, but that's a seperate issue...}

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 26 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You can get Essence the cost of Synaptic Boosters 3 down to .3 essence with Deltaware and more cyber than bio. This costs Two Million and Four Hundred Thousand Nuyen for the deltagrading. With Beta you can get it down to .5 essence and Nine Hundred and Sixty Thousand Nuyen.

The thing about Wired Reflexes is that it is nuyen cheap but essence expensive. It costs less than half of what Boosted 3 costs at any grade.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 26 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

In 2XS, the proto-synaptic accellerator technology could be turned off. I'm sure the actual synaptic accelerators could be, too.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Mar 26 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

That stuff wasn't "proto synaptic accelerators". It was Kamazazi in a BTL chip.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Mar 26 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Mongoose)
Tuelish- eh? Why is having more bioware going to reduce the essence cost of your cyber? I'm not entirely familiar with the rules yet. If having loads of bioware drops the essence cost of basic wired 3 to 2.5, I can maybe see it being worth it... nah, 1.5 for 40g more is still better.

When totalling essence loss, you add up cyberware and bioware separately, and then halve the lower one.

So if you have 4 essence worth of cyberware and 3 essence worth of bioware, your actual essence loss is 4 + (3/2) or 5.5, not 7; while if you have 1 essence worth of cyberware and 2 essence worth of bioware, your actual essence loss is (1/2) + 2, or 2.5.

This is mentioned in the sidebar on page 301 of the rulebook.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Mar 26 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

notice the wording on page 306.

'with the exception of cultured bioware'- it an exception to the standard alpha/beta/delta. how exactly is unclear at this time.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 26 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Cutting the cost of basic Wired 3 down to 2.5 requires 5.1 points of bioware. Unless you have a good cybermancer it ain't gonna fly.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Mar 26 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Teulisch)
notice the wording on page 306.

'with the exception of cultured bioware'- it an exception to the standard alpha/beta/delta. how exactly is unclear at this time.

Page 306? Are you talking about the part where it describes the properties of bows or some other part?

Perhaps you're thinking of page 303. Even then it doesn't actually say that Cultured 'ware can't come in Alpha or Beta - all it says is that cultured bioware isn't standard.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 26 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Actually, what it says is that the pricies given for cultured bioware aren't for the standard grade. What that means is really up in the air. I say that it means that the cultured bioware prices listed are for Delta Grade.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 26 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #14

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Ah, the undead horse rears it's beaten head.
To make it simple: that reverse implication is wrong - cultured bioware can be graded like any other ware:

QUOTE (Subject: Re: Shadowrun Website Question)
Hiya,

in SR4, it possible to purchase bioware in alpha/beta/delta grades.
Does this include cultured bioware?

Yes, to all of the above.

:: Rob Boyle ::

Shadowrun Developer for FanPro LLC

info@shadowrunrpg.com ~ www.shadowrunrpg.com

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 26 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

My god... 3 initiative passes for .75 essence, .375 if you have a cyberarm.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 26 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #16

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
...unless you get the Boosted Reflexes Delta Grade.

Hell, Delta Grade still is only impnated in one of the few delta clinics - hard to get access to one.

And having 2 millions :nuyen: at hand is even more unlikely, looking at the usual pay scale of SR4.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 26 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (emo samurai)
My god... 3 initiative passes for .75 essence, .375 if you have a cyberarm.

Sorry, i don't get it...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 26 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #18

Hoppelhäschen 5000

He means extra IPs. ;)

Keep in mind that Deltaware may be costy in SR4, but isn't restricted by higher Availability... and there are more than a dozen Delta Clinics in 2064 already.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 26 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
He means extra IPs. ;)

I know, but i still can't follow his math.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 26 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #20

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Uh, where?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Mar 26 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 26 2006, 06:25 PM)
He means extra IPs. ;)

I know, but i still can't follow his math.

Synaptic Boosters III - Delta. That'[s half of 1.5 Essence (.75 Essence). If you have at least .8 Essence worth of Cyberware you'll pay half of that (.375 Essence). What's not to understand?

-Frank

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 26 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #22

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Guess it was too easy for me :D or i'm just too stupid after a long day. Anyway, thanks for explaining it :)

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 27 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex? Sure it lets you cram ~8 esence of stuff into you.

At delta grade, this will come close to letting you carm all the cyberwear and bioware in the main book into your body.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 27 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex?

Because it's fucking awesome. That alone justifies it. :)

+Quote Post
neko128
post Mar 27 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex? Sure it lets you cram ~8 esence of stuff into you.

At delta grade, this will come close to letting you carm all the cyberwear and bioware in the main book into your body.

Well, since deltaware halves essence costs, given an unlimited budget you should be able to cram something like 16 essence worth of crap into yourself (4 essence cyberware + 3.9 essence bioware is 5.95 essence used, but delta-waring lets you double that...)

I think the source of the rule is simply that in earlier editions, Bioware didn't USE essence - it had random other effects (Body Index for 2nd, for example). This is a way to bring it into a unified system without overly crippling it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.