Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wired Reflexes- are they worth it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mongoose
I can see the low price of wired 1 and 2 maybe apealing to some folks, but what's the point of wired 3 in the new edition? Its only marginally less expensive than the bioware that has the same effect, but the bioware has a hugely lower essence cost. Wired 3 has avaialability 20, vs 18 for level 3 synaptic accelerators, so neither is avaialble to starting characters. Bioware would be easier to conceal from scans and such.

To recap, the bioware is just as effective (moreso if you consider the space it leaves for other implants / magic), eaiser on the body, AND easier to buy, AND easier to get past security.

So, does anybody have a use for wired 3 these days? The only one I can see is maybe if you want to have an "old school" samurai who got wired a long time ago, before the "new generation" of bioware came along. Which is cool, but that's a HUGE premium (in essence, and cash if you try to get it anywhere near as essence friendly as the bioware) to pay for a flavor piece.
Teulisch
consider this- bioware reflexes 3 will always be 1.5 essence.

but if i get deltaware (50%), and have more bioware than cyberware (easy to do), then that 5 essence becomes 1.25e. so there are some cases where it is a good thing, but they are few and far between.

the other consideration, is you can turn wired reflexes OFF.
ronin3338
Might make a difference later if they add back the Stress factor for bioware. indifferent.gif

Seriously though, I never gave any of my sam's Wired-3. It was never essence friendly, and I didn't like the thought of them being all jittery. 'sides, I got better uses for all that essence loss.
FrankTrollman
consider this- bioware reflexes 3 will always be 1.5 essence.

...unless you get the Boosted Reflexes Delta Grade. In SR4, Wired Reflexes are crappy old tech. There is no reason for anyone to buy Wired 3 under any circumstances, they are craptastic and expensive. Everything in Shadowrun got cheaper except some of the old iconic gear like Wired Reflexes and Dermal Plating - those things just got thrown on the scrap heap.

-Frank
Mongoose
Tuelish- eh? Why is having more bioware going to reduce the essence cost of your cyber? I'm not entirely familiar with the rules yet. If having loads of bioware drops the essence cost of basic wired 3 to 2.5, I can maybe see it being worth it... nah, 1.5 for 40g more is still better.

ronin3338- I did play a sr2 (with bits of 3) character with wired 3, and he was pretty effecitve, in part because he also had some cheap (but effective) bioware to make him even faster, and a bit tougher- besides just being dang hard to hit.
But I'm not saying I want to play such a character in SR4. My point was, wired 3 used to be disticntive and offered some useful edge you couldn't otherwise get. I'm not saying it was the best use of thier essence, but now its both not avaialable to starting characters, and the things that match it are cheaper and have fewer drawbacks. So why's it still in the book?
IMO, turning wired refles off isn't much of an advantage compared to synaptic accelerators, because there doesn't seem to be any drawback to having the bioware active all the time. {Nor is there any drawback to magical reflex enhancement, but that's a seperate issue...}
hyzmarca
You can get Essence the cost of Synaptic Boosters 3 down to .3 essence with Deltaware and more cyber than bio. This costs Two Million and Four Hundred Thousand Nuyen for the deltagrading. With Beta you can get it down to .5 essence and Nine Hundred and Sixty Thousand Nuyen.

The thing about Wired Reflexes is that it is nuyen cheap but essence expensive. It costs less than half of what Boosted 3 costs at any grade.
emo samurai
In 2XS, the proto-synaptic accellerator technology could be turned off. I'm sure the actual synaptic accelerators could be, too.
nick012000
That stuff wasn't "proto synaptic accelerators". It was Kamazazi in a BTL chip.
neko128
QUOTE (Mongoose)
Tuelish- eh? Why is having more bioware going to reduce the essence cost of your cyber? I'm not entirely familiar with the rules yet. If having loads of bioware drops the essence cost of basic wired 3 to 2.5, I can maybe see it being worth it... nah, 1.5 for 40g more is still better.

When totalling essence loss, you add up cyberware and bioware separately, and then halve the lower one.

So if you have 4 essence worth of cyberware and 3 essence worth of bioware, your actual essence loss is 4 + (3/2) or 5.5, not 7; while if you have 1 essence worth of cyberware and 2 essence worth of bioware, your actual essence loss is (1/2) + 2, or 2.5.

This is mentioned in the sidebar on page 301 of the rulebook.
Teulisch
notice the wording on page 306.

'with the exception of cultured bioware'- it an exception to the standard alpha/beta/delta. how exactly is unclear at this time.
hyzmarca
Cutting the cost of basic Wired 3 down to 2.5 requires 5.1 points of bioware. Unless you have a good cybermancer it ain't gonna fly.

Cynic project
QUOTE (Teulisch)
notice the wording on page 306.

'with the exception of cultured bioware'- it an exception to the standard alpha/beta/delta. how exactly is unclear at this time.

Page 306? Are you talking about the part where it describes the properties of bows or some other part?

Perhaps you're thinking of page 303. Even then it doesn't actually say that Cultured 'ware can't come in Alpha or Beta - all it says is that cultured bioware isn't standard.
hyzmarca
Actually, what it says is that the pricies given for cultured bioware aren't for the standard grade. What that means is really up in the air. I say that it means that the cultured bioware prices listed are for Delta Grade.
Rotbart van Dainig
Ah, the undead horse rears it's beaten head.
To make it simple: that reverse implication is wrong - cultured bioware can be graded like any other ware:

QUOTE (Subject: Re: Shadowrun Website Question)
Hiya,

in SR4, it possible to purchase bioware in alpha/beta/delta grades.
Does this include cultured bioware?

Yes, to all of the above.

:: Rob Boyle ::

Shadowrun Developer for FanPro LLC

info@shadowrunrpg.com ~ www.shadowrunrpg.com
emo samurai
My god... 3 initiative passes for .75 essence, .375 if you have a cyberarm.
Grinder
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
...unless you get the Boosted Reflexes Delta Grade.

Hell, Delta Grade still is only impnated in one of the few delta clinics - hard to get access to one.

And having 2 millions nuyen.gif at hand is even more unlikely, looking at the usual pay scale of SR4.
Grinder
QUOTE (emo samurai)
My god... 3 initiative passes for .75 essence, .375 if you have a cyberarm.

Sorry, i don't get it...
Rotbart van Dainig
He means extra IPs. wink.gif

Keep in mind that Deltaware may be costy in SR4, but isn't restricted by higher Availability... and there are more than a dozen Delta Clinics in 2064 already.
Grinder
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

I know, but i still can't follow his math.
Rotbart van Dainig
Uh, where?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 26 2006, 06:25 PM)

I know, but i still can't follow his math.

Synaptic Boosters III - Delta. That'[s half of 1.5 Essence (.75 Essence). If you have at least .8 Essence worth of Cyberware you'll pay half of that (.375 Essence). What's not to understand?

-Frank
Grinder
Guess it was too easy for me biggrin.gif or i'm just too stupid after a long day. Anyway, thanks for explaining it smile.gif
Crusher Bob
Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex? Sure it lets you cram ~8 esence of stuff into you.

At delta grade, this will come close to letting you carm all the cyberwear and bioware in the main book into your body.

Cray74
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex?

Because it's fucking awesome. That alone justifies it. smile.gif
neko128
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Is there a point to the 'half essence rule', other than to make things more complex? Sure it lets you cram ~8 esence of stuff into you.

At delta grade, this will come close to letting you carm all the cyberwear and bioware in the main book into your body.

Well, since deltaware halves essence costs, given an unlimited budget you should be able to cram something like 16 essence worth of crap into yourself (4 essence cyberware + 3.9 essence bioware is 5.95 essence used, but delta-waring lets you double that...)

I think the source of the rule is simply that in earlier editions, Bioware didn't USE essence - it had random other effects (Body Index for 2nd, for example). This is a way to bring it into a unified system without overly crippling it.
Azralon
QUOTE (neko128 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:12 AM)
Well, since deltaware halves essence costs, given an unlimited budget you should be able to cram something like 16 essence worth of crap into yourself (4 essence cyberware + 3.9 essence bioware is 5.95 essence used, but delta-waring lets you double that...)

Aye, and I love countering the old "mages are too powerful since they don't have a hard cap" argument with that. Mages are powerful for other reasons, mind you, but the "uncapped" pipe dream just doesn't start to become a reality until hundreds and hundreds of karma later.

Meanwhile, a samurai is effectively capped at "16 Essence" worth of stuff, which is more or less just as unattainable as, say, a 16 Magic rating.
Waltermandias
And having 2 millions nuyen.gif at hand is even more unlikely, looking at the usual pay scale of SR4.

Damn straight. Moreover, the day any of my characters have 2 million nuyen in the bank is the day that character retires to a life of sippin' mai-tais on some beach in a nation with lax extradition laws.
neko128
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (neko128 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:12 AM)

Aye, and I love countering the old "mages are too powerful since they don't have a hard cap" argument with that. Mages are powerful for other reasons, mind you, but the "uncapped" pipe dream just doesn't start to become a reality until hundreds and hundreds of karma later.

Meanwhile, a samurai is effectively capped at "16 Essence" worth of stuff, which is more or less just as unattainable as, say, a 16 Magic rating.

Lets see. Initiation (not counting groups and ordeals and such, which I assume will be included again in Street Magic) is 10+3xgrade, and increases your max magic by 1. Raising magic is 3xnew level. Assuming you start at grade 0 and magic six, the amount of karma to initiate enough to raise your magic to 16 is a grand total of 610 karma... And more if your magic starts below max.

That, vs. untold millions of nuyen for 16 essence worth of deltaware.

I wish I had either of those. nyahnyah.gif
emo samurai
Do you think those ordeals and groups will decrease the amount of karma needed to initiate and increase magic, or just initiate?
neko128
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Do you think those ordeals and groups will decrease the amount of karma needed to initiate and increase magic, or just initiate?

I'm assuming the rules will cover both, but not be the same set of rules.

What I mean is, I'm assuming that the rules will allow ordeals (oath, quest, meditation, thesis, etcetera) to decrease initiation cost, but will also allow geasa to reduce magic increase cost (domain, verbal, somatic, fetish, etcetera).

This is the first edition where increasing grade doesn't automatically increase magic, though, so I guess we'll see.
Azralon
QUOTE (neko128)
Assuming you start at grade 0 and magic six, the amount of karma to initiate enough to raise your magic to 16 is a grand total of 610 karma... And more if your magic starts below max.

That, vs. untold millions of nuyen for 16 essence worth of deltaware.

I wish I had either of those. nyahnyah.gif

No kidding.

Unfortunately for the karma-based lifeforms, there's a lot better chance for a runner team to make off with an incredibly huge payday (hijack a few Banshees, kidnap a billionaire, steal a superexpensive prototype, or what have you) than there is to suddenly get a massive karmic windfall.

I mean, if the GM slips up and/or the players are clever enough, the PCs might suddenly find themselves incredibly wealthy. But at no time will a (sane) GM ever say "Wow, good job. 500 karma."
FrankTrollman
I'm hoping that ordeals come back and that groups do something other than lower Karma costs. I've seen players generate a shadowrunner group which for lack of a better name was called "The No Homers Club (we're allowed to have one)". The Karmic benefits were just too good to pass up and it got more than a little silly.

Groups should do something else. Anything else. I'd like hem to be treated more as a contact.

-Frank
James McMurray
I don't know. I might at some point say "good job, have 500 karma." I can see two situations where it might happen (the first more likely than the second).

1) I'm about to seriously ramp up the power level of the campaign. They've been running the shadows for a few years now, learning more and more about the 6th world. Then on a run gone bad they unleash a beastie from Hell (in a world where Hell = Earthdawn). It wuold require something big ingame, and a huge amount of work, but I might do it one day, especially if I were feeling Babylon-5ian and wanted to start up the Shadow War, but without the Vorlons around.

2) Copious sexual favors from comely female players. The only woman I've gamed with in years is my wife (and her less frequently now that the kids are around and she's gone back to finish her degree), so it's pretty doubtful that'll happen (not that she isn't comely, we just don't buy and sell sexual favors from one another).

--

I agree that groups should either not lower karma costs, or have much harder rules than in previous editions. A mage and an adept in the team means you're looking at an initiation group.
evilgenius
Hey all. First post here, just picked up SR4.

I noticed that the Synaptic Booster 3 has an easier availability than Wired 3. I would think that 20 year old tech (wired reflexes) would be easier to come by than the latest bioware that has to be "tailor made" specifically for an individual.

My solution? All cultured bioware has an tougher availability. Thus, for my game I have houseruled that all cultured bioware starts with +50% availability.

Therefore:
Synaptic Booster 1 is availability 9
Synaptic Booster 2 is availability 18
Synaptic Booster 3 is availability 27

Outrageously difficult to come by? Yes, for the higher levels, but the lower levels are still reasonable. However, you'll need to get a LOT of hits over a LONG time to get Synaptic Booster 3 tailored and made for you. It's the sort of search that will take place over the course of an entire campaign, which for me, cultured bioware should be.

As a side note, I also increased the availability difficulty for Betaware (+50%) and Deltaware (+100%). Just 'cause.
Butterblume
If think it is designed this way, so you can get synaptic boosters 2 at chargen. If you just make the availability for cultured bioware harder, a lot of other good stuff can't be bought at chargen either.

I would suggest, just make synaptic boosters 3 harder to get wink.gif.
Voran
Though it seems a little off too. By the 2070s, bioware isn't the as much the 'new unknown' as it was when it rolled out in 2052. I guess I'm a little surprised cyber hasn't gone to the 'ghost in the shell' kinda levels of more ready full body prosthetic swaps and the like.
hobgoblin
one word: magic...

a full body swap would require something like cybermancy to pull of, and would leave the person with negative essence (at best)...
Jaid
or you could just use alphaware. you know, being a slightly cheaper solution than cybermancy.

2 cyberarms, 2 cyberlegs, cybertorso, and cyberskull iirc add up to 6.5 essence. alphaware drops that to 5.2 essence. the only current ingame limitation on that is that healing magic works less well on you, iirc (though older books indicate you start losing touch with the world and such).

it's still kinda expensive though.

not to mention currently a horrible, horrible option, since it means you can only ever take cyberware that has a capacity, and can never again take anything that uses essence.

(of course, most GMs seem to be allowing implantations and even bioware into the torso and skull areas, which strictly speaking is not allowed by the rules, but IMO makes about a million times more sense).
hobgoblin
(of course, most GMs seem to be allowing implantations and even bioware into the torso and skull areas, which strictly speaking is not allowed by the rules, but IMO makes about a million times more sense).

page refrence? older SR versions have defined skull and torso to be more like cans then full replacements. they still contain the vital organs and some other stuff.

edit:

never mind, i found it. strange bit of wording tho. would it not be simpler to state that bioware that affect physical attributes have no effect on a cyberlimb? atleast that way you can still add stuff to your gray matter even tho its inside a cyberskull nyahnyah.gif

another option would be to state that a person with full cyberlimb replacement uses the avarage of the cyberlimb stats for all tests involving physical tests.

stating that all cyberlimbs cant take bioware, and only cyberware with a capasity listing is just silly. atleast unless you read the following statment about the torso and skull as a kind of exeption from that line...
Jaid
like i said, the interpretation that you can put essence-consuming cyberware as well as bioware into the torso and skull is probably not only one of the most common modifications, but also a very logical one. that does not change the fact that, strictly speaking, it is a modification to the rules (which i fully support. there's a reason i still enjoy PnP over CRPGs)

in fact, i can't even justify it from a balance perspective, as the cost of getting all cybered up with alphaware cyber-replacements is so horribly expensive. if i'm not mistaken, it would cost around 180,000 nuyen.gif to buy 2 obvious alphaware cyberarms, 2 obvious alphaware cyberlegs, 1 obvious alphaware cybertorso, and 1 obvious alphaware cyberskull. plus the stat boosts (which are actually quite cheap... once you've bought the limb itself, that is), and any accessories. not to mention the cyberskull is too high availability to even have at chargen using normal rules.
hobgoblin
hmm, im left wondering what the point of a cyberlimb body stat...

that is unless i use the avarage of the natural body stat and the limb stats (makes it kinda dangerus to get a unenhanced limb) when doing body rolls for stuff like damage resistance (from outside sources, toxins is a diffrent story).

hmm, if i go fully cyberd, can i no longer take a internal simrig? it does not have a capasity listing nyahnyah.gif

edit:

if anything, the cyberlimbs are just as messed up as they was in SR3. just discoverd that the text covering cyberlimb enhancments allready talks about bioware and cyberware having no effect so what, if any, is the point of that bit of text about bioware and cyberlimbs?

im starting to think that its a badly messed up bit thats realy supposed to explain the capacity ratings. it would be so much simpler to say that any cyberware with a capacity rating can be installed into a cyberlimb without a essence cost, and that bioware cant have a capacity rating...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012