Reply to this topicStart new topic
> starting characters and gear
Willis
post Mar 26 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,387

what restrictions do you all make on the availability of gear to new characters. I figured I'd make anything available as long as they can afford it, but if they lose it they have to go through the big hassle of restrictions and such to replace it. am I doing this wrong?

Willis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 26 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

"Right or wrong" isn't really a relevant question for a house rule. Obviously it's "wrong" in that it deviates from canon rules, but the relevant question is whether or not it is "right" for your game.

As far as game balance goes, letting people ignore 12 availability limit at char-gen will increase the power level of starting characters. They will be able to have heavy weaponry, APDS ammo, rockets, and full armor. The biggest change will be for street sammies and awakened characters. The sammies will be able to get a few extra goodies like wired reflexes: 3 and pain editors, but their biggest advantage will be getting things like muscle toner at level: 4 - with how important Attributes are in SR4, that is a big deal. Awakened characters will also have more power, since a force: 6 spellcasting or weapon focus is an equally huge edge.

There is nothing wrong with a higher-powered campaign - but you might want to reconsider this house rule if you don't want a higher-powered campaign.

+Quote Post
Willis
post Mar 26 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Target

where can I find the official rule?

Willis

+Quote Post
Willis
post Mar 26 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Target

nm, found the ruling. the rating of six only refers to rating on cyberware and such, correct? that doesn't mean no weapon with a dv over 6 or anything like that?

Willis

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 26 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Rating != DV

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 26 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #6

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Yeah, Rating is only when an item specifically has a Rating.

A Maglock Passkey has a Rating. A Ruger Super-Warhawk does not.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 27 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I would recommend lifting the availability limit on anything a character can buy legally.

I had a problem with my character that I wanted some high end imaging contact lenses but they came above the availability 12. However as I have a sin (both legitimist and fake that will hold up) the moment the game starts I can pick them up for the sticker price without needing to roll availability because they are perfectly legal.

Edward

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Mar 27 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Perfectly legal, perhaps, but perhaps not commonly available.

:ic: "I'll have to special order that. . . ."

Unless I'm misremembering, in which case nevermind.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.