Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starting characters and gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Willis
what restrictions do you all make on the availability of gear to new characters. I figured I'd make anything available as long as they can afford it, but if they lose it they have to go through the big hassle of restrictions and such to replace it. am I doing this wrong?

Willis
Glyph
"Right or wrong" isn't really a relevant question for a house rule. Obviously it's "wrong" in that it deviates from canon rules, but the relevant question is whether or not it is "right" for your game.

As far as game balance goes, letting people ignore 12 availability limit at char-gen will increase the power level of starting characters. They will be able to have heavy weaponry, APDS ammo, rockets, and full armor. The biggest change will be for street sammies and awakened characters. The sammies will be able to get a few extra goodies like wired reflexes: 3 and pain editors, but their biggest advantage will be getting things like muscle toner at level: 4 - with how important Attributes are in SR4, that is a big deal. Awakened characters will also have more power, since a force: 6 spellcasting or weapon focus is an equally huge edge.

There is nothing wrong with a higher-powered campaign - but you might want to reconsider this house rule if you don't want a higher-powered campaign.
Willis
where can I find the official rule?

Willis
Willis
nm, found the ruling. the rating of six only refers to rating on cyberware and such, correct? that doesn't mean no weapon with a dv over 6 or anything like that?

Willis
Rotbart van Dainig
Rating != DV
Thanee
Yeah, Rating is only when an item specifically has a Rating.

A Maglock Passkey has a Rating. A Ruger Super-Warhawk does not.

Bye
Thanee
Edward
I would recommend lifting the availability limit on anything a character can buy legally.

I had a problem with my character that I wanted some high end imaging contact lenses but they came above the availability 12. However as I have a sin (both legitimist and fake that will hold up) the moment the game starts I can pick them up for the sticker price without needing to roll availability because they are perfectly legal.

Edward
Da9iel
Perfectly legal, perhaps, but perhaps not commonly available.

ic.gif "I'll have to special order that. . . ."

Unless I'm misremembering, in which case nevermind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012