Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bone augmentations
Rooks
post Mar 28 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,355

Quick question, does bone density/bone lacing physical damage rating round up or down in strength is an odd number

ie I have a strength of 5 with bone density 4 damage code is str/2+3 P so does that mean 6p or 5p
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Mar 28 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Round STR as usual and then add the modifier. Unfortunatly, I do not know which is usual.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 28 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I agree with hyzmarca.

Same as any other melee weapon.

Now what was it for other melee weapons.

Edward

+Quote Post
Signal
post Mar 28 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,778

You round up. 6P in your example.

+Quote Post
evilgenius
post Mar 28 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,409

Here's a related question;

Nowhere in the Bone Lacing description or in the Bone Density Augmentation description does it say you can't do both.

I mean, Dermal Plate and Orthorskin both say they're not compatible. Same with Wired reflexes and other modes of Reaction increase, same with Muscle Replacement and Muscle Aug / toner.

I mean, it makes sense to me that you can increase the density of the bones, but then also lace these newly densisified bones with a nice titanium coating.

That raises the question: What is the unarmed damage if you have both? Do you add the damage resistance dice multiple times?

just questions......

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 28 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Hmmm, that's a scary thought. Titanium superdense bones? Wow. Figure you might add half of the 2nd treatment to the bones in damage... So (don't have my book), if each adds 3 points to your punch damage, having both would only add 4 or 5 at max, though likely full armor bonuses. (You can only hit so hard, but if you make the item inpenetrable, it'll stop anything kinda thinking)

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Mar 28 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

actually only titanium lacing grants +1 impact +1 ballistic bonus not to mention the weight of the character is going to be tremendously huge like quadtruple weight, then again if your a human you'd weight the same as maybe a troll but if your a troll, maaaaan you'd kill a man just by accidently sitting on him not to mention the insanely high body stat for resistance

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 28 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

Under old rules, Titanium lacing used to add (iirc) 15 kg to the player weight. Plastic and kevlar were 5 kilos, Aluminum was 10, and I think Ceramic was either 10 or 15. "Quadruple" your weight? Not so much. Bone lacing doesn't even entirely replace the bones, it just builds a "lacing" of the material used into and around them to make them tougher. Think of reinforced concrete... you're not looking at a wall of rebar, just a concrete wall that's got a lacing of rebar inside of it.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 28 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

This does bring up another important question though. Bone lacing puts a protective sheath over your bones, to make them more durable. Bones break. Ceramic breaks. Kevlar probably just deforms. Aluminum and titanium bend. So what happens when you get hit with sufficient force to bend a laced bone? Obviously the bone inside splinters, but how do you address it? That could very easily form life-threatening clots, particularly if you have platelet factories. All manner of excruciating pain, not to mention the needed surgery just to fix the problem...

Has this ever come up and how was it handled?

+Quote Post
Waltermandias
post Mar 28 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Lenexa, Kansas (Yes Kansas, we ain't all hicks y'all.)
Member No.: 8,291

@Jhaiisiin That's never come up in our games, but I imagine that if someone is getting the kind of force needed to bend their titanium laced arm, they have bigger problems to worry about. :dead:

@Evilgenius: Weird, my friends and I were talking about this just earlier today. We saw no reason why they couldn't be combined, however we did decide, in the interests of game balance, to say that the damage bonus stacks, but only to a maximum bonus of +3. Thus you could have plastic lacing and two levels of bone density and get a +2 to damage, but if you got titanium lacing and 4 levels of density you cap out at +3.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 28 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #11

Runner

My interpretation of this ware is really that it's a *lacing*... it provides enough structual integrity to make the bones less "brittle", but there's not so much material that an injury that's going to destroy the bone will leave these big strips of metal bent into funny shapes. Think of a screen door... metal screens are relatively tough, but if you kick them, the screening tears apart. Bone lacing is like screening around (and in) the bone, laid there by nanites. It makes the bone stronger, but it's going to tear apart along the same seams that the bone snaps.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 29 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (evilgenius)
That raises the question: What is the unarmed damage if you have both? Do you add the damage resistance dice multiple times?

I'd say yes to both. That'd be one beastly punch...

Good luck trying to get through a body scan without drawing some attention, though :)

+Quote Post
evilgenius
post Mar 29 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 8,409

QUOTE (Rooks @ Mar 28 2006, 12:27 PM)
actually only titanium lacing grants +1 impact +1 ballistic bonus not to mention the weight of the character is going to be tremendously huge like quadtruple weight, then again if your a human you'd weight the same as maybe a troll but if your a troll, maaaaan you'd kill a man just by accidently sitting on him not to mention the insanely high body stat for resistance

OK, so let's see if I get this...

With bone density augmentation 4, you get +4 body for purposes of damage resistance tests. You also get (Str/2)+3 physical damage with an unarmed strike.

With titanium bone lacing, you get +3 body for purposes of damage resistance tests, +1 Ballistic, +1 Impact, and (Str/2)+3 physical damage with an unarmed strike.

IF both are compatible (and read as written there is no reason why not) then, you get

+7 body for damage resistance tests, +1 Ballistic, +1 Impact.

Now, here's another question. The Maximum Augmented Value for an attribute: Does all +7 apply for "body for damage resistance tests"? I mean, it's not "+7 body".

I mean, if you have a Body of 2, could you roll 9 dice for a resistance test, since you're not actually increasing your Body Attribute Score (it says "for damage resistance tests", which implies your attribute isn't actually changing, it's only for certain tests)...

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 29 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I do have a troll with both. For sanity's sake, we allow the damage resistance to stack, but not the inflicted damage. Doesn't make much sense to us that his punch should do more than his spurs, especially since you can punch/stab with a spur.

And he does weigh a lot. Guy is a beast really. I don't play him often because it just feels like cheating. Mages still put him down pretty hard though, even wit hthe magic resistant quality and maxing his will.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 29 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Rooks)
actually only titanium lacing grants +1 impact +1 ballistic bonus not to mention the weight of the character is going to be tremendously huge like quadtruple weight, then again if your a human you'd weight the same as maybe a troll but if your a troll

No. Bones are formed out of hydroxyapatite at a nominal density of about 1g/cc (and 30% collagen-type stuff, which is about 1g/cc), virtually the same as water...but that includes the porosity of bones. Hydroxyapatite on its own is about 3g/cc.

So, assuming bone density augmentations do not increase external bone size, and assuming the bones do get fully densified to 3g/cc in the most extreme bone density augmentation, then the bone mass in the body would triple. In a healthy human male, the skeleton is 15% of their weight. Picking a typical human male weight (80kg, 176lbs), the skeleton is normally 12kg (26.5lbs). Trebled, the skeleton would be 36kg (80lbs), representing a 24kg (53.5lb) increase. That's 30% above the base weight.

Per SR3, titanium bonelacing adds 15kg. That would bring the worst-case mass of the 80kg man to 119kg, call it 120kg (265lbs). That's a 50% weight increase, but not a quadrupling.

In fact, I doubt bone density would reach the full density of hydroxyapatite, because you need to leave room for the marrow; pores to access the marrow; and some porosity and collagen would be helpful in turning the bone from a brittle solid mineral into a more damage-tolerant composite structure. I'd anticipate something like doubled bone mass might be more accurate for bone density aug-4, so you'd see about 108kg for an 80kg man with BDA-4 and Titanium BL. That's a 35% weight increase.

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Mar 29 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

and for a troll?

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 29 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Rooks)
and for a troll?

Assuming that the percentage of a troll's weight that's bone is the same as for a human, then per my other assumptions, the BDA-4 would add 15% to the mass of the troll.

Titanium BL's weight on a troll is unchanged at 15kg.

If trolls are 225kg like I found online, then trolls would gain about 21.67% (49kg/108lbs) as a result of Ti-BL and BDA-4.

Also note that when I said "35%" for humans in the conclusion of my last post, that was for a fixed weight of 80kg.

To put that into equations for your use:

(Mass of person in kg)x1.15+15kg = new weight with TiBL and BDA-4.

{[(Mass of person in kg)x1.15+15kg]/(Mass of person in kg)} - 1 = percentage change in mass.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 29 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Cray74)
Assuming that the percentage of a troll's weight that's bone is the same as for a human

A valid qualifier, as a troll endoskeleton probably needs to be more proportionately massive than a human's to support the extra body weight.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Mar 29 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Mar 29 2006, 12:02 PM)
Assuming that the percentage of a troll's weight that's bone is the same as for a human

A valid qualifier, as a troll endoskeleton probably needs to be more proportionately massive than a human's to support the extra body weight.

If I remember correctly, strength of structures (read: bones, in this case) increases by the square (cross-section), while weight increases by the cube (volume). If a Troll's bones aren't stronger (after scaling for size) than a human's, they'd actually be more fragile.

So yes, I agree, it's an important qualifier; I'd be willing to bed that Trolls are more dense than humans.

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Mar 29 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

as is reflected by the innate armor they have

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 29 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #21

Runner

That always used to be a "dermal bone deposit" kind of deal, sort of like dermal plating. I don't believe I ever saw it explained as being a skeletal structure thing. One of the big tips towards it being dermal was that it used to count as "armor" for purposes of determining if flechette got it's +1 Damage Code (pre-SR4). Those knobbly bits we always see on the artwork of trolls would be this stuff. I wonder if bone lacing would be *visible* on trolls, due to some of this stuff basically being external...

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 29 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #22

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Now, here's another question. The Maximum Augmented Value for an attribute: Does all +7 apply for "body for damage resistance tests"? I mean, it's not "+7 body".

I mean, if you have a Body of 2, could you roll 9 dice for a resistance test, since you're not actually increasing your Body Attribute Score (it says "for damage resistance tests", which implies your attribute isn't actually changing, it's only for certain tests)...

Pretty much. Bonus dice aren't affected by the caps, and you're just discussing bonus dice.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Mar 29 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (neko128)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Mar 29 2006, 11:09 AM)

If I remember correctly, strength of structures (read: bones, in this case) increases by the square (cross-section), while weight increases by the cube (volume). If a Troll's bones aren't stronger (after scaling for size) than a human's, they'd actually be more fragile.

So yes, I agree, it's an important qualifier; I'd be willing to bed that Trolls are more dense than humans.

I'm not sure the difference would be large between metatypes.

In humans, females typically have 12% of their weight in their skeleton, while males have 15%.

In comparison, an elephant's skeleton is ~16.5% of its weight, while a cow's skeleton is 10% of its weight. That's not very different than human skeletal percentages despite the enormous difference in mass.

as is reflected by the innate armor they have

No, the innate armor of trolls is from their dermal bone deposits.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Mar 29 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Good points on the percentages per species and human sexes.

From those samples given and sheer guesswork, it'd seem like the beasts with greater muscular capacity are going to have more bone weight.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Mar 29 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #25

Runner

If the difference between average human female and average ELEPHANT is all of 4.5% of body mass, I don't think we're going to see a noticeable bump in percentage for troll.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.