IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can a Living Persona be Hacked?, Can a TM read passed packets?
Glayvin34
post Apr 8 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,275

Imagine the following Scenario:
A technomancer with Signal 5 has all of his devices, all with Signal 1, slaved to his Living Persona, for security. A Hacker, also with Signal 5, about a kilometer away wants to Hack the TM's PAN. Is this possible? Can he roll Exploit + Hacking, fake the commcode of someone that the TM's Persona is Subscribed to, and start Spoofing commands to the devices in the PAN? Would the TM notice packets moving through her that are stealing info or making her devices act awry? Without a good Sniffer Complex Form, is it all just the ebb and flow of the Matrix?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 8 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

I read it 3 times just to make sure I'm reading you right.. but how would hacking somone else's commcode give you access to the Technomancer's PAN?
It's like saying that since Joe Wageslave is subscribed to Cheesy Pizza, I can now hack their network...

You'd have to hack the items directly in my opinion, as the Technomancer does not have a commcode, so you have no direct connection to their signal.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 8 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

no but if cheesy pizza is subscribed to joe...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 8 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Is this possible?

Not only possible, but essential for the wireless matrix to function.

+Quote Post
Ankle Biter
post Apr 8 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,353

QUOTE (Dranem @ Apr 7 2006, 09:41 PM)
I read it 3 times just to make sure I'm reading you right.. but how would hacking somone else's commcode give you access to the Technomancer's PAN?
It's like saying that since Joe Wageslave is subscribed to Cheesy Pizza, I can now hack their network...

You'd have to hack the items directly in my opinion, as the Technomancer does not have a commcode, so you have no direct connection to their signal.

No but you can use the cheesy pizza as an intermediary to get close enough to Joe Wageslave's personal signal one devices to hack them form 5 clicks away....

Any technomancer without all of their gear skinlinked, bar perhaps signal boosters, is a silly Technomancer. I think the question was can you hack through a technomancer to get to the stuff they are controling directly...

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 8 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

how can a technomancer use a skinlink without having to use a normal commlink? they can't exactly add accessories to their brain without losing resonance.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 8 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

It's an often used houserule.

It just feels right, if a technomancer can hack with laying on hands ;).

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Apr 8 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

Yeah, TMs having an organic skinlink in addition to an organic commlink was an automatic houserule in our game.

The Technomancer that I play has all of his devices skinlinked, but he's got drones and whatnot, they're obviously not skinlinked, but they are actively subscribed to the Living Persona, and I gave them a short signal rating to avoid Hackers concealed in a building nearby or something. But I'm wondering how much of the organic commlink's processes are automated. If the enemy Hacker sends a spoofed packet to one of the drones through the organic commlink, is it apparent to the TM that someone nearby just sent a packet to one of the drones? Does he actually know about and process the packet consciously or is it all just the Resonance of the Matrix?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 8 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i would guess its kinda like a reflex that he can partialy control.

kinda like how you can, with training and consentration, control the beating of your heart. but if left alone, it will beat as needed for whatever state the body is in at the moment.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 8 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

assuming you don't use the automatic skinlink, then the TM can use a set of trodes with a skinlink to interact with devices on his person, no commlink required.

oh, and i don't think you can hack a technomancer, but you could certainly spoof his devices.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Apr 8 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (Jaid)
assuming you don't use the automatic skinlink, then the TM can use a set of trodes with a skinlink to interact with devices on his person, no commlink required.

There might be the problem that using trodes only supports traditional hacking, not the technomancers abilities...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 9 2006, 02:43 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

there might be a problem with that if the techno is trying to hack his own stuff, yes.

trodes give you a DNI link to whatever they are attached to on the other end. i find it hard to believe that the DNI wouldn't let you operate your personal devices through it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.