Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can a Living Persona be Hacked?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glayvin34
Imagine the following Scenario:
A technomancer with Signal 5 has all of his devices, all with Signal 1, slaved to his Living Persona, for security. A Hacker, also with Signal 5, about a kilometer away wants to Hack the TM's PAN. Is this possible? Can he roll Exploit + Hacking, fake the commcode of someone that the TM's Persona is Subscribed to, and start Spoofing commands to the devices in the PAN? Would the TM notice packets moving through her that are stealing info or making her devices act awry? Without a good Sniffer Complex Form, is it all just the ebb and flow of the Matrix?
Dranem
I read it 3 times just to make sure I'm reading you right.. but how would hacking somone else's commcode give you access to the Technomancer's PAN?
It's like saying that since Joe Wageslave is subscribed to Cheesy Pizza, I can now hack their network...

You'd have to hack the items directly in my opinion, as the Technomancer does not have a commcode, so you have no direct connection to their signal.
Kremlin KOA
no but if cheesy pizza is subscribed to joe...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Is this possible?

Not only possible, but essential for the wireless matrix to function.
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (Dranem @ Apr 7 2006, 09:41 PM)
I read it 3 times just to make sure I'm reading you right.. but how would hacking somone else's commcode give you access to the Technomancer's PAN?
It's like saying that since Joe Wageslave is subscribed to Cheesy Pizza, I can now hack their network...

You'd have to hack the items directly in my opinion, as the Technomancer does not have a commcode, so you have no direct connection to their signal.

No but you can use the cheesy pizza as an intermediary to get close enough to Joe Wageslave's personal signal one devices to hack them form 5 clicks away....

Any technomancer without all of their gear skinlinked, bar perhaps signal boosters, is a silly Technomancer. I think the question was can you hack through a technomancer to get to the stuff they are controling directly...
Nikoli
how can a technomancer use a skinlink without having to use a normal commlink? they can't exactly add accessories to their brain without losing resonance.
Butterblume
It's an often used houserule.

It just feels right, if a technomancer can hack with laying on hands wink.gif.
Glayvin34
Yeah, TMs having an organic skinlink in addition to an organic commlink was an automatic houserule in our game.

The Technomancer that I play has all of his devices skinlinked, but he's got drones and whatnot, they're obviously not skinlinked, but they are actively subscribed to the Living Persona, and I gave them a short signal rating to avoid Hackers concealed in a building nearby or something. But I'm wondering how much of the organic commlink's processes are automated. If the enemy Hacker sends a spoofed packet to one of the drones through the organic commlink, is it apparent to the TM that someone nearby just sent a packet to one of the drones? Does he actually know about and process the packet consciously or is it all just the Resonance of the Matrix?
hobgoblin
i would guess its kinda like a reflex that he can partialy control.

kinda like how you can, with training and consentration, control the beating of your heart. but if left alone, it will beat as needed for whatever state the body is in at the moment.
Jaid
assuming you don't use the automatic skinlink, then the TM can use a set of trodes with a skinlink to interact with devices on his person, no commlink required.

oh, and i don't think you can hack a technomancer, but you could certainly spoof his devices.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Jaid)
assuming you don't use the automatic skinlink, then the TM can use a set of trodes with a skinlink to interact with devices on his person, no commlink required.

There might be the problem that using trodes only supports traditional hacking, not the technomancers abilities...
Jaid
there might be a problem with that if the techno is trying to hack his own stuff, yes.

trodes give you a DNI link to whatever they are attached to on the other end. i find it hard to believe that the DNI wouldn't let you operate your personal devices through it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012