IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dragon Name Pronounciation Guide, Draconic tounge twisters!
mdynna
post Apr 20 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,145

How has everyone else been pronouncing dragon names? Here's my list of the tough ones:
Alamais - al-a-MAY-iss
Celedyr - SELL-eh-deer
Dzitbalchen - "that-DEE-dragon-from-Aztlan" or ZIT-block-en (silent D?)
Eliohann - el-EE-oh-han
Hualpa - who-ALL-pa
Lofwyr - LOFF-were
Masaru - mass-ARE-oo
Mujaji - moo-JAGE-ee (JAGE like judge only long "ah" instead of "uh")
Perianwyr - pear-ee-AN-were
Rhonabwy - row-ON-a-bwee (This one I'm pretty sure of, my GM is Welsh and he says you roll the r... so it's like "Rrrr-on-a-bwee")
Ryumyo - Rye-um-YO
Sirrurg - SEER-rurg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 20 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

The "h" in spanish is silent, so I think it would be called "Wall-pah."

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 20 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

Hestaby: "Oh baby, that is good, just a little lower.

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 20 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,478

Alamais: Ah-la-may. assumed it was French

Celedyr: Kel-eh-dear. just because Boston has the Celtics... i wouldnt go calling kilt clad clansman a Selt.. would you?

Dzitbalchen: 'zh'.. like 'sh' only with a lot more 'z' to it. um think the chinese pronounciation of 'x' maybe? to me it looks Slavo-germanic... but its indiginous mexican yes?

Eliohann: Eh-lee-oh-hahn

Hualpa: i go Wall-pa too.

Masaru: Mah-Sah-Roo. assumed Asian

Mujaji: got me. Moo-jah-gee? Moo-ha-he?

Ryumyo: Reeyou-Myo. assumed Asain again. 2 syllables, not 3.

oh, and i've always pronounced anything -wyr as in 'we're going somewhere', not the lycan 'were'.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 20 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

[Disclaimer: I have a bachelor's in Linguistics, but I haven't studied Linguistics specifically for a while. All this stuff is just guessing.]

Well, it depends on the base language. Most of these dragons seem happy to have names that are more or less based on relatively modern language, so I'm going to assume that's the case.

Alamais: Looks French, so it would be pronounced a-la-MAY.
Celedyr: One o' them Celtic languages (Welsh or Pictish or some such), so KEL-eh-deer.
Dzitbalchen: Not a clue. If it really is Aztec, then it would be pronounced dzi-TBAL-chen.
Eliohann: Not a clue. Sperethiel, maybe? If it is, my call would be eh-LI-o-han.
Hualpa: Spanish is a good guess, but I'm going to go with a generic Spanish-Native creole with this one and say HWAL-pa.
Lofwyr: Gaelic. LOF-weer.
Masaru: Japanese. This has one of those retroflex 'r' sounds in it, so the 'r' isn't an 'r' like in English. Also, there isn't really what you'd call emphasis in Japanese, either. ma-sa-ru.
Mujaji: Sounds more Swahili than Xhosa or Bantu, so I'd make it moo-JAH-jee.
Perianwyr: More Gaelic. per-ee-AN-weer.
Rhonabwy: The 'r' is rolled, but also aspirated, like you're saying 'h' along with it. HRON-a-bwee.
Ryumyo: Another Japanese name. In Japanese, the 'y' is treated as a consonant, so this name only has two syllables: ryu-myo.
Sirrurg: Doesn't look like a natural language. Let's just run with SER-erg.

Did I miss any?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.