IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Casting spells in the astral., Lets get real.. only not.
30+coyote
post Apr 20 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,317

Ok, so I am thinking about how to make my mage better at combat and it occures to me, if I go astral then use a free action to manifest a ghostly astral presence what can I do in that form? I know I can't move objects as I have no physical mass but what would stop me from casting spells at other physical objects? Is not casting spells essentially shapping the astral energy into a pattern that has an effect? Could you not just cast a fireball or mana-bolt while in this ghostly form?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 20 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Purely astral entities cannot affect purely physical targets in any way. That includes spellcasting.

Also keep in mind that "manifesting" is not the same as "materializing." Spirits can materialize to gain a physical component (become solid). Manifesting astral magicians do not gain a physical component, so still can't affect the physical world.

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 21 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

Manifestation is just useful to frighten people ("Boo! I am the soul of your dead father!") or to inform your chummers about astral action going on, when not wanting to enter your meat body again.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 21 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Personally, I always thought that was a pretty heavy-handed nerf, but I've never tested the opposite conditions in my game. I think my next game is going to be

You can affect physical targets from the astral. All drain taken while casting in astral form is physical.

Should be interesting anyway.

+Quote Post
UndeadPoet
post Apr 21 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,448

QUOTE (eidolon)
I think my next game is going to be

You can affect physical targets from the astral. All drain taken while casting in astral form is physical.

That clearly overpowers any combat mage. You manifest and make them think you are there, while they empty their ammunition clips on you, not being able to harm you in any way, while you barbecue their minds with manabolts, stunballs and other funny stuff.
It is just ludicrous to let someone be invulnerable to specific attacks while himself being able to attack without problems.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Apr 21 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Just bring back grounding. Then you can have 'astral artillary attacks' which would consist of having a mage project to a point near the target and act as spotter while the rest of the team launches a ghoul from a Trebuchet. When the ghoul lands the mage can ground an attack through it.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Apr 21 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

ghoul
trebuchet
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 21 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, if only a watcher could materialize...

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Apr 22 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

I'd always wondered why they took away the ability to attack from the astral by channeling through the link (such as an active foci, an astrally active mage or creature, etc). It is simultaneously in both worlds, there should be no problem. Granted, it allowed for group firebombing of entire squads of people at times, however if there was a link to channel through, that usually meant there was a mage to spell defense the incoming fireball away, or at least make it less effective.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 22 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

They probably took it away because it allowed for group firebombing of entire squads of people sometimes. :)

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Apr 22 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

LOL Touche

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.