Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casting spells in the astral.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
30+coyote
Ok, so I am thinking about how to make my mage better at combat and it occures to me, if I go astral then use a free action to manifest a ghostly astral presence what can I do in that form? I know I can't move objects as I have no physical mass but what would stop me from casting spells at other physical objects? Is not casting spells essentially shapping the astral energy into a pattern that has an effect? Could you not just cast a fireball or mana-bolt while in this ghostly form?
Azralon
Purely astral entities cannot affect purely physical targets in any way. That includes spellcasting.

Also keep in mind that "manifesting" is not the same as "materializing." Spirits can materialize to gain a physical component (become solid). Manifesting astral magicians do not gain a physical component, so still can't affect the physical world.
UndeadPoet
Manifestation is just useful to frighten people ("Boo! I am the soul of your dead father!") or to inform your chummers about astral action going on, when not wanting to enter your meat body again.
eidolon
Personally, I always thought that was a pretty heavy-handed nerf, but I've never tested the opposite conditions in my game. I think my next game is going to be

You can affect physical targets from the astral. All drain taken while casting in astral form is physical.

Should be interesting anyway.
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (eidolon)
I think my next game is going to be

You can affect physical targets from the astral. All drain taken while casting in astral form is physical.

That clearly overpowers any combat mage. You manifest and make them think you are there, while they empty their ammunition clips on you, not being able to harm you in any way, while you barbecue their minds with manabolts, stunballs and other funny stuff.
It is just ludicrous to let someone be invulnerable to specific attacks while himself being able to attack without problems.
hyzmarca
Just bring back grounding. Then you can have 'astral artillary attacks' which would consist of having a mage project to a point near the target and act as spotter while the rest of the team launches a ghoul from a Trebuchet. When the ghoul lands the mage can ground an attack through it.
Kremlin KOA
ghoul
trebuchet
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, if only a watcher could materialize...
Jhaiisiin
I'd always wondered why they took away the ability to attack from the astral by channeling through the link (such as an active foci, an astrally active mage or creature, etc). It is simultaneously in both worlds, there should be no problem. Granted, it allowed for group firebombing of entire squads of people at times, however if there was a link to channel through, that usually meant there was a mage to spell defense the incoming fireball away, or at least make it less effective.
James McMurray
They probably took it away because it allowed for group firebombing of entire squads of people sometimes. smile.gif
Jhaiisiin
LOL Touche
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012