Reply to this topicStart new topic
> overflow damage and heal spell.
fool
post May 11 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

Does a heal spell heal overflow damage, and what happens once the spell is cast, does the patient stabilize or do you have to get them under their condition monitor?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Witness
post May 11 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

There's a separate Stabilization spell, so I guess it wouldn't.
Had my players try this on an NPC last night as it happens. I had to rule that they'd healed a few boxes but there was still critical bleeding damage so the NPC was going to continue to lose boxes pretty fast. (But I was nice and increased the interval a bit).

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 11 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

AFAIK, once the patient is stabilized, you can then heal him or her normally. You have to remove overflow before 'normal' damage, of course. If the patient is not stabilized, Heal won't help.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Witness
post May 11 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Yeah I guess that's probably the by-the-rules way.
I still like my way and I think I'll stick with it. It makes more sense somehow, it can generate new tension ("Well I've bought her some time but if we don't get her to a medical facility soon she's still going to die"), and it doesn't break the fourth wall quite so hard ("You feel the magic swell through your fingertips and into her body, lacing together fractured blood vessels with threads of mana, but the rulebook says it can't actually do any good because she's into her overflow boxes already") ! ;)

+Quote Post
fool
post May 11 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

besides, almost any wound would take you into overflow..(i.e. its pretty rare to hit deadly damage exactly on the dot, often there's a level or two of extra damage at least.)

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post May 11 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

It stabilies them as well
always has
always will

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 11 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

Since being "destabilized" only happens while you're in overflow, and Heal can bring you back down below overflow, I think we can safely assume that Heal stabilizes people.

The "Stabilize" spell is useful because it's got a lower drain code than Heal. There's a number of situations where you just need to keep your teammate from bleeding to death, but don't want to slap an 7+ drain code onto the team mage.

+Quote Post
shadowbod
post May 11 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,371

QUOTE (SR4 core rulebook - p244- physical damage overflow section)

Once a character has been stabilized, First Aid, Medicine and/or magical healing can be applied as normal

Which implies that if the character hasn't been stabilized, the above mentioned healing methods cannot be applied.

+Quote Post
Witness
post May 11 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
It stabilies them as well
always has
always will

Don't think it should!
Don't think I'll let it!
p244, top-right. EDIT: yeah same argument as shadowbod, but he/she beat me to the post button.

Meh. Play it any way you want. I notice that SR4 plays it a bit faster and looser with damage, bleeding and healing anyway- e.g. Damage Resistance Glitches, p153. Suits me.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 11 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

The way shadowbod interprets it is the way we do as well. If heal would stabilize someone that sentence wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't make sense.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 11 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 98

Huh... nifty. And I kinda like it, too. Okay, time to start running it that way...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.