Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: overflow damage and heal spell.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fool
Does a heal spell heal overflow damage, and what happens once the spell is cast, does the patient stabilize or do you have to get them under their condition monitor?
Witness
There's a separate Stabilization spell, so I guess it wouldn't.
Had my players try this on an NPC last night as it happens. I had to rule that they'd healed a few boxes but there was still critical bleeding damage so the NPC was going to continue to lose boxes pretty fast. (But I was nice and increased the interval a bit).
Thanee
AFAIK, once the patient is stabilized, you can then heal him or her normally. You have to remove overflow before 'normal' damage, of course. If the patient is not stabilized, Heal won't help.

Bye
Thanee
Witness
Yeah I guess that's probably the by-the-rules way.
I still like my way and I think I'll stick with it. It makes more sense somehow, it can generate new tension ("Well I've bought her some time but if we don't get her to a medical facility soon she's still going to die"), and it doesn't break the fourth wall quite so hard ("You feel the magic swell through your fingertips and into her body, lacing together fractured blood vessels with threads of mana, but the rulebook says it can't actually do any good because she's into her overflow boxes already") ! wink.gif
fool
besides, almost any wound would take you into overflow..(i.e. its pretty rare to hit deadly damage exactly on the dot, often there's a level or two of extra damage at least.)
Kremlin KOA
It stabilies them as well
always has
always will
Shrike30
Since being "destabilized" only happens while you're in overflow, and Heal can bring you back down below overflow, I think we can safely assume that Heal stabilizes people.

The "Stabilize" spell is useful because it's got a lower drain code than Heal. There's a number of situations where you just need to keep your teammate from bleeding to death, but don't want to slap an 7+ drain code onto the team mage.
shadowbod
QUOTE (SR4 core rulebook - p244- physical damage overflow section)

Once a character has been stabilized, First Aid, Medicine and/or magical healing can be applied as normal

Which implies that if the character hasn't been stabilized, the above mentioned healing methods cannot be applied.

Witness
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
It stabilies them as well
always has
always will

Don't think it should!
Don't think I'll let it!
p244, top-right. EDIT: yeah same argument as shadowbod, but he/she beat me to the post button.

Meh. Play it any way you want. I notice that SR4 plays it a bit faster and looser with damage, bleeding and healing anyway- e.g. Damage Resistance Glitches, p153. Suits me.
James McMurray
The way shadowbod interprets it is the way we do as well. If heal would stabilize someone that sentence wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't make sense.
Shrike30
Huh... nifty. And I kinda like it, too. Okay, time to start running it that way...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012