Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AR - what is possible, more ideas !
Serbitar
post May 18 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,534

So, it is 2070 now and every runner group uses AR.
We all know what the drawbacks are, but what are the advantages?

Lets see:

- communication by thought (everyone can carry a transducer)
- live video feed from every teammember (should wear at least a sensor tag, if not an eye camera)
- live life signs from every team member (biomonitor should be installed = you can see their damage tracks)
- live ammunition data from every teammember (weapons are smart 2070)
- live ballistic data from your teammembers (you know who is shooting at whom, better coordination)
- live sensor data from the fly spy (every team, if not every teammember should have one. can provide ultrasound data, too)
- overlay maps
- live tactical map with special flags (enemy, friendly . . ., see SR4 story)
- live data from sensors (every teammember should carry some to distribute on site while they approach target)

What else can you get ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post May 18 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 948

Using the already existing program WALLSPACE you can create 3D maps and textures so that you can find your way within your home even when the power is out – you can even map the entire Seattle with your own textures so that can post your own graffiti, tags and notes on important locations.

Sensor tags: Connect a sensor tag with a camera on your back sending live feed to your imagelink – instant rear view mirror.

Home Office: Long distance to your work, no problem. Combine the VR experience with OfficeSpace II (OS2) which let you work from anywhere in the world and interact with your real life colleagues through a combination of VR and AR.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 18 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

window shopping from home. Stroll down the isles in your underwear without those pesky indicent exposure charges. Delivery in 30 minutes or less Guarenteed*!

*Delivery not available in Z-zones

Party all night long, never have to drive home. Show up at the latest shindig and get your self good and plastered in RL or Virtual! No need to drive home, you're already there! No ackward moments of trying to find your pants after a "quiet" tryst, just log off!

discreet communication with nano-trode paint and text messaging!

Happy neighbor overlay! For days when just changing the weather isn't enough! Neighbor or coworker not so up on their hygene or need ashave and ahaircut? No problem! A little healthy editing can have that bad breath wielding non comformist hippie looking and smelling 10 times better! Like your coworker better as an Asian? Easy and quick and completely private for your eyes only! Significant other not up to snuff? Programmable celebrity options available! Key your Favorites list to activate your filter when their commlink is in range! Turn Plain Jane or John to Jenna Jameson or Long John Silver!

Virtual sycophant 2.0 ! Not a "real" rock star or Corporate VP yet? No problem! Your own personal yes man is just download away!

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 18 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #4

jacked in

Member No.: 463

Play cool multiplayer games during waiting periods. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 18 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

a rousing game of pong while the hacker works the system? excellent

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post May 18 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #6

Runner

Playing a deathmatch of Quake 10 against your own Agents, and for those that wants a challenge, arming them with Black IC :eek:

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 18 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

Depending on how AR works I thought it may be a way to give a blind person sight (limited of course like a mage "seeing" with astral perception).

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post May 18 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

-Using a select sound filter and an anylasis program to 'flag' any passerby who use given words, like your street name, your real name, or your target's name.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 18 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
Depending on how AR works I thought it may be a way to give a blind person sight (limited of course like a mage "seeing" with astral perception).

That or cybereyes ...

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 18 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #10

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

You know, I was thinking about this when I first read about AR ubiquity, and it occurred to me that an unwired team is a perfect in-game justification for the sort of table talk and meta-gaming that happens in most role-playing games during combat. No more "well, you're around the corner, so you didn't see your friend go down" or the like.

My hat's off to whomever thought it up.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post May 18 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Aaron)
You know, I was thinking about this when I first read about AR ubiquity, and it occurred to me that an unwired team is a perfect in-game justification for the sort of table talk and meta-gaming that happens in most role-playing games during combat. No more "well, you're around the corner, so you didn't see your friend go down" or the like.

My hat's off to whomever thought it up.

Well, having multiple miniature screens in your POW of the teammates actions is both a good thing and a bad - if someone sniff, hacks or otherwise compromise your communications they will know everything you do.

+Quote Post
Dragonscript
post May 18 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,812

window shopping from home. Stroll down the isles in your underwear without those pesky indicent exposure charges.

Or your can put cloths on everybody, so you can keep your old school church sensabilities.

How about a hot coffee mod that makes everybody you see nekid...

How about getting a camera installed in the back of your head and have its view linked into your AR.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 18 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ May 18 2006, 07:44 AM)

That or cybereyes ...

The advantage of using AR is that it wouldn't take essence (ie a blinded mage, adept, or TM).

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post May 18 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 18 2006, 08:44 AM)

Well, having multiple miniature screens in your POW of the teammates actions is both a good thing and a bad - if someone sniff, hacks or otherwise compromise your communications they will know everything you do.

Once your comlink is hacked you are near to dead anyway. There is no solution to it except turning it of. matter if you are running all this gimmick stuff, or not.

+Quote Post
Cang
post May 18 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,077

Well cybereyes cant fix a char. who takes blindness as a flaw. It would be too easy to get some points for free. Think of it as if there is something wrong with your brain or nerves for the reason for blindness, not a railroad spike. :cyber:

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post May 18 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #16

Running Target

If you notice blindness has been removed from the SR4.0 rules. As a GM if I wanted to introduce it I would give the following stats:
Blind:
legally blind (ie bad eye sight) => +5 BP
Bad eye (ie missing, damaged, etc) => +10 BP
Bad optic nerves (ie cybereyes won't work, but AR and simsence will) => +15 BP
Brain damage (ie no visual ability at all) => +20 BP
[Mystic] Adept => -5 BP (can learn astral perception to see)
Magician => -10 BP (can use astral perception to see)
Hacker/TM => -5 BP (can use AR/Simsence/Sensors to see)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Or your can put cloths on everybody, so you can keep your old school church sensabilities.

I'm thinking more the opposite; kids forced to wear stagnant corp uniforms everywhere but have "hidden" personas that only other kids in their network can see (Hacking Skill for everyone!) - and these would be variable in revealing layers and customization. Also, kids using AR for passing notes in class (but if the system catches you, they show the note to everybody in the whole school!). I imagine that schools will be slathered in plain jane jamming paint, which makes the AR tagging wars so much fun.

Gag AR, like Whoopee Zone and Pam Anderson Persona Paint, or the ever popular "Kick Me" Sticker.

Virtual Sycophant 2.0

Which is just one of a gigazillion pocket secretary skins, from famous rockstars to the little devil on your shoulder and even Talk To Me Dunkie or whatever personal spiritual advisor you'd like (I heard that they even have a Universal Brotherhood Priest as a joke).

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 18 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

One of my players wanted to have a holographic projector to show his AR pet spider in both the real and AR world. I suppose that could act as an distraction for AR users which seems to most everyone.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 18 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

decorate your shop in AR. heck, stock your store in AR. obviously, this would be aimed at either technogeeks or the rich and constantly connected, rather than being used in Stuffer Shacks.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 18 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

I just realized how much College teaching would have to change given the many ways to get data and display it. Wifi inhibiting wallpaper, cyberware scanners, you name it.

Probably easier to get on an airplane than take the 2070 SAT test, lol.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post May 18 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Side note:

AR won't work for blind people; AR is basically HUD projections and overlays on glasses, contacts, cybereyes. Blind can't see a HUD any more than they can see a movie screen.

You'd need to go full VR so that visual data is sent directly to your brain. I imagine anyone who's optic nerves were destroyed could get a VR-linked set of cybereyes but they would suffer from some of the "acting in VR' penalties due to the way the data is being fed into the brain.

Way better than blindness but not as good as getting cybereyes or clonal replacements.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #22

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I just realized how much College teaching would have to change given the many ways to get data and display it. Wifi inhibiting wallpaper, cyberware scanners, you name it.

Probably easier to get on an airplane than take the 2070 SAT test, lol.

That would change for some majors, I guess. I had several classes that allowed wifi laptops during exams. Basically, the philosophy was, "If you know how to access the information you need quickly and easily, then that's as good as knowing it." We didn't have to memorize anything; comprehension was the key. Having all the formulas doesn't mean squat if you don't understand how to use them, or what the answers mean.
Then again, that was engineering. I understand that other fields don't work that way.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 18 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #23

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ May 18 2006, 01:20 PM)
Side note:

AR won't work for blind people; AR is basically HUD projections and overlays on glasses, contacts, cybereyes.  Blind can't see a HUD any more than they can see a movie screen.

Not true at all. AR data can be sent to a sim module and interpreted however the receiver desires (see also AR gloves and trode nets). Visual cues such as arrows could be interpreted as a pulling sensation on the appropriated arm. Stoplight signals for "walk" and "don't walk" would be a slight pushing sensation on the back or a sudden rush of exhilaration and a slight pressure as of a hand on the chest or a catching of the breath. A good deal of AR information can be converted directly into spacial knowledge (exactly like memorizing your home) using RFID technology and ubiquitous cameras and sensors (or just sensors on your "walking stick"). Virtual Seeing AI Dogs, I call this.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 18 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ May 18 2006, 01:20 PM)
Side note:

AR won't work for blind people; AR is basically HUD projections and overlays on glasses, contacts, cybereyes.  Blind can't see a HUD any more than they can see a movie screen.

Not true at all. AR data can be sent to a sim module and interpreted however the receiver desires (see also AR gloves and trode nets). Visual cues such as arrows could be interpreted as a pulling sensation on the appropriated arm. Stoplight signals for "walk" and "don't walk" would be a slight pushing sensation on the back or a sudden rush of exhilaration and a slight pressure as of a hand on the chest or a catching of the breath. A good deal of AR information can be converted directly into spacial knowledge (exactly like memorizing your home) using RFID technology and ubiquitous cameras and sensors (or just sensors on your "walking stick"). Virtual Seeing AI Dogs, I call this.

Reminds me of tv special I watched some time ago about a blind professor and how they rigged up a special device he could wear (backpack sized at the time) and he could choose a route and he could follow a directional beeping he'd hear in headphones and use his cane to help keep him pointed towards his destination.

In SR and Roleplaying aside, can't blindness be cured with cybereyes?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 18 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #25

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It depends on the source of the blindness. If the blindness is due to a defect in the eye, then grab some cybereyes and a grapefruit spoon and you should be good to go. If the blindness is due to a defect in the visual part of the brain, then you're SOL. Any character who wants blindness should specify which kind they have.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.