Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [News] Navy developing nanotech to improve ships, Size matters
JongWK
post May 30 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

For those of you interested in militech, here's the CNN story.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post May 30 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

Could be very interesting.

There's gotta be some other applications for this to. I'm no scientist, but there's gotta be other applications - tiny welders to weld small cracks in hull armor, maybe nanobots that act as instant sutures in the personnel themselves (knitting wounds shut).

Pretty cool stuff.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 30 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
There's gotta be some other applications for this to.  I'm no scientist, but there's gotta be other applications - tiny welders to weld small cracks in hull armor, maybe nanobots that act as instant sutures in the personnel themselves (knitting wounds shut).

Alas, that CNN article had nothing to do with microscopic, free-roaming robots - the nanotech of science fiction.

In real life, nanotech is control of materials at a nanoscale.

A typical example is control of grain (crystal) sizes in metals and ceramics by careful heat treating - no mini-robots involved, just a metallurgical furnace, laser, or other heat source.

Another example are modern electronics manufacturing, which reliably reproduces electronic structures on microchips at a scale of tens of nanometers. That involves careful crystal growth, spraying new layers, and selective etching.

For the foreseeable future, that's all nanotech's going to be. Microscopic robots remain the domain of sci-fi.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 30 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Of interesting note, the US patent office has compiled a new area in the classification system for nanotechnology, class 977. It might not mean much unless you know the US patent classification system, but the office at least is trying to respond to all the new applications dealing with nanotechnology.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 30 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

So does this mean that cyberware will START at delta-grade?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post May 30 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (emo samurai)
So does this mean that cyberware will START at delta-grade?

I don't think so.

Read "Man & Machine" sometime, in the section about nanotech. They say that nanotech has been part of cyberware systems from the beginning - that without some nanotech systems in them, most cyberware would be too bulky and too Essence-costly to be effective.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post May 30 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Cray74)
For the foreseeable future, that's all nanotech's going to be. Microscopic robots remain the domain of sci-fi.

And they probably will for quite a while. The probability of anyone creating grey-goo level autonomous nanorobots falls somewhere between unpossible and not fraggin' likely. We can't even make giagagitic room-sized robots with enough processing power to safely perform basic surgery on a human body. Good luck creating a machine smaller that a human cell with that much memory.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post May 30 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I wonder if they have tried using Nano-Tech to Demagnetize Ship Hulls for mine defense.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post May 30 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 98

I was under the impression that it was ferrous materials in ship hulls that the MADs in mines worked against. Is it possible to make a "ferrous" material not respond to magnetic fields?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post May 30 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

That's what I'm wondering, is if manipulated at the molecular level the hull steel could be made to respond in a different manner than it does under standard manufacture.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post May 30 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

It seems to be possible to make non-magnetic steel. That topic crept up a while back in the german Fanpro forum, and because I couldn't believe that, I tried to check it ;).

Its an alloy of iron with certain metals, and the resulting high-grade steel is not magnetic. It is also not that easy to process, since temperatures out of a different range destroys that non-magnetic property.

The german marine use this for ships and the best submarines in the world ;) (at least those without a nuclear reactor).

Of course,it has nothing to with nano technologie in any way :).

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 30 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Nanotechnology could make the processes of developing hyperco and other non-magnetic steels easier, plus they can allow single process production. It's a slow process, but the advantages of no joints or weld butts is huge in many applications, allowing lighter mechanical and structural constructions in addition to electronics. Of course, that's SR level technology, not today's.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 31 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (stevebugge)
I wonder if they have tried using Nano-Tech to Demagnetize Ship Hulls for mine defense.

Not nanotech, but composites, wood, and stainless steel do alright.

I was under the impression that it was ferrous materials in ship hulls that the MADs in mines worked against. Is it possible to make a "ferrous" material not respond to magnetic fields?

Yes. Austenitic stainless steels (like your typical kitchen sink and Paul Revere cookware) are non-magnetic. IIRC, it's the nickel content messing up the ferromagnetism.

Its an alloy of iron with certain metals, and the resulting high-grade steel is not magnetic. It is also not that easy to process, since temperatures out of a different range destroys that non-magnetic property.

Huh. The Germans must be trying too hard to use conventional carbon steels. If you have a slightly bigger budget, common stainless steels are non-magnetic (that 18%+ chromium content drives up the price - chrome ain't as cheap as iron). Like 304 and 316 stainless. Common stuff.

It's a slow process, but the advantages of no joints or weld butts is huge in many applications, allowing lighter mechanical and structural constructions in addition to electronics. Of course, that's SR level technology, not today's.

Joints and welds are overrated as weak spots. If you don't mind the price, you can use thin-wall casting or 3D rapid-prototyping techniques. Welds can be as strong as the surrounding material. It's just a matter of cost. Usually, it's cheaper to make weaker joints and welds.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 31 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

Nanotechnology [used as I'm describing it] would be an extension of rapid prototyping.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 31 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Nanotechnology [used as I'm describing it] would be an extension of rapid prototyping.

Okay.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 31 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #16

Dragon

Rapid prototyping?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 31 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Sterolithography, solid freeform, 3D printing, Selective Laser Sintering, Fused Deposition Modeling... and then Nanofusion.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post May 31 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Sterolithography, solid freeform, 3D printing, Selective Laser Sintering, Fused Deposition Modeling... and then Nanofusion.

The what, the what and the what now?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post May 31 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #19

Dragon

I read the article on Wikipedia, but it was also filled with jargon. Is it basically building things microscopic layer by microscopic layer?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 31 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

So what do you want to know about the field of rapid prototyping, etc? Hilarious how y'all are now talking an area that I do at work. :D

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 31 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

The people in the unit over have like 13 of the plastics (mostly sterolithography and a couple 3D printers), and I'm readup in laser sintering/plating. What area are you in?

Is it basically building things microscopic layer by microscopic layer?

Sure, using a few various methods of fusing stock material together. Nanofusion will have the advantage of interlacing and wider material selection - not to mention tolerances measured in molecules...

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post May 31 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Well, the burning question in my mind is: "how long will it take you to make me my dikote AVS ally spirit?".

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 31 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The people in the unit over have like 13 of the plastics (mostly sterolithography and a couple 3D printers), and I'm readup in laser sintering/plating. What area are you in?

I work for the patent office, I examine the applications for them. In the molding arts, but I specialize in injection molding machines, blow molding machines, control systems, and my fave, all the 3-D machines including stereolithography, 3-D sintering, etc... Lately, I'm doing a bunch of imprint technology cases some of them are going after nanostructures so I'm taking a special interest in that area now. So I get to look at the freaking schematics all day long and dream about how they work. If I'm lucky they'll let us see one in action when an inventor comes to the office for a demonstration (which happened once about 6 years ago...)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 31 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ May 30 2006, 07:32 AM)

And they probably will for quite a while. The probability of anyone creating grey-goo level autonomous nanorobots falls somewhere between unpossible and not fraggin' likely. We can't even make giagagitic room-sized robots with enough processing power to safely perform basic surgery on a human body. Good luck creating a machine smaller that a human cell with that much memory.

Hmm. Thing is, I remember reading a few articles in the past about the prospect of using nanotech robots to clear away artery plaque. I think they ran in Scientific American.

I forgot what the articles said, though. :dead:

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post May 31 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

they're still quite a while away from that. A few years ago (about 3, so it may be dated), some researchers came into the office to show what they're doing by manipulating molecules. They showed a motor they managed to create on the video (though all it did was spin), a tick (dust mite? I forget) all of a sudden came out of nowhere crawling around and it got on top and the inventors decided to kick up the motor. That was hilarious, but anyway, point is, they're still a bit aways to getting something like nano robots that will independently move around operating on an artery plaque.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.