> Knife Amnesty in UK, Some stuff they turned in
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 16 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

Some pictures from the UK knife amnesty

Look at picture #2, they turned that in, dang...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 16 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

yay, a rambo knife and a dull blade. when they start turning in wakasashis and machettes call me.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 16 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Bah. That's not a knife. This is a knife.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jun 16 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

That I would call a shortsword :D.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 16 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

That's a Gurkha knife, also called a kukri.
[/edit] The dull blade in the original link, that is.

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 16 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

Heh, I find it funny that they decided a few of those knives were "terrifying". If anything the only person who would get hurt would be the bloke trying to pack the damned thing in their trou. :eek:

I also find it interesting that they showed an expended LAAWS Rocket and said it could shoot 350m. It can't shoot any farther than you can throw it in that state!

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Jun 16 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

QUOTE (Ancient History)
That's a Gurkha knife, also called a kukri.
[/edit] The dull blade in the original link, that is.

Yes, I still have my issue khukri. Well, my second one. I lost my first one crossing a river.

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Jun 16 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,458

Pic #4 is now saved on my hard drive in the "examples of blood magic ritual daggers" folder.

+Quote Post
Muzzaro
post Jun 16 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,089

The punch blade (the one listed as "terrifying" on pic 4) is near enough useless. I've seen many stuff like that at our local Cash Converters, all this gothic "knife" stuff that looks so scary, and is pointless. I'd rather buy the fairies they sell. Some of them are cute.

*coughs* anyway.

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Jun 16 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,458

That's why it's a "ritual". You've got a live body that's tied down. How the hell are ya gonna miss?

"Dammit, Bob, I critical glitched and sacrificed myself."

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 16 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
I also find it interesting that they showed an expended LAAWS Rocket and said it could shoot 350m. It can't shoot any farther than you can throw it in that state!

Aye, dunno what they're thinking. Plus, knife amnesty, expended rocket tube, the heck?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 16 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

This does pose an important question. What did they expend it on?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 16 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Either it's military surplus or they used it on some hit. I remember reading a few years ago some biker gang battles in some scandinavian country and one of the biker places got hit with a rocket launcher. It's been years, lemme see if I can find that news article. Had me thinking those biker gangs are really going hardcore. I don't think the mob even use rocket launchers in their fights, but what do I know...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 16 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

most likely someone took it with them when leaving the army.

alltho i dont live in the UK, i live in another european contry, and i recall holding one of those that someone had from their days in uniform.

that they turned it in must be some kind of joke. but that its presented as a deadly weapon is a pure propaganda move.

and about that "klingon" dagger. sure its just for show, but someone will still probably try to use it, and if can in theory produce some nasty wounds with all those edges :P

nah, who am i kidding. those things are sold in novely shops around there...
plus matching polearms and lot of other stuff...

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 17 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #15

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

..... Good grief. What are people thinking?

First guns, now knives? What's next, "Club amnesty?" You'll have blokes turning in their sporting goods!

This god-damnned bleeding-heart "guns are bad" liberal shit needs to fucking die in flames! This is FAR BEYOND reasonable measures for public safety when ornamental LETTER OPENERS are being turned in as dangerous weapons!

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 17 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

We should start shooting liberals more.

Oh, I know!! What about Liberal Amnesty! You can turn your liberal in for cash! Libertarians aren't really dangerous, but we'll accept them too.

+Quote Post
Muzzaro
post Jun 17 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 8,089

ShadowDragon, i disagree. A novelty letter opener will slide in real nice between the ribs, just as easily as if it was a knife. I'd rather people open letters with their fingers, than go outside tomorrow and get some kid stick me through chest with a purdy paper-knife.

I live in Wolverhampton, England, in an area full of Chavs. I'm afraid to go out at night! There is an increase in knife related attacks too, and some of them are stupid. People getting killed for saying "hello", bouncers getting attacked for doing their job. One guy got stabbed while holding his child in his arms and the assaulter just walked off going "I did him, i did him good". Some people out there are total and utter psychos, to the point where you have to be paranoid to survive. I swear, if i knew how to get them over here, i'd carry a freaking stun-gun. I'd rather end up in court, than be laid down in a wooden box.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 17 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #18

Horror

QUOTE (Muzzaro)
ShadowDragon, i disagree. A novelty letter opener will slide in real nice between the ribs, just as easily as if it was a knife. I'd rather people open letters with their fingers, than go outside tomorrow and get some kid stick me through chest with a purdy paper-knife.

I live in Wolverhampton, England, in an area full of Chavs. I'm afraid to go out at night! There is an increase in knife related attacks too, and some of them are stupid. People getting killed for saying "hello", bouncers getting attacked for doing their job. One guy got stabbed while holding his child in his arms and the assaulter just walked off going "I did him, i did him good". Some people out there are total and utter psychos, to the point where you have to be paranoid to survive. I swear, if i knew how to get them over here, i'd carry a freaking stun-gun. I'd rather end up in court, than be laid down in a wooden box.

Nezumi: Just right.

Muzzaro, if the UK had remembered that they were the guys who started the "A man's home is his castle" thing and not gone all crazy, you'd be fine.

Moron thugs like that can't get their hands on a legal firearm, and the ones that want illeagal ones can get them whether it's legal or not. You, on the other hand, as a law-abiding and upstanding citizen, should have the right to defend yourself with an effective firearm.

Oh well. Guess people are all going to have to start eating out as the only ones allowed to own cooking knives are people with chef's liscences, and transporting a block of knives will become a felony soon. Meanwhile, I'll continue to happily shoot my uncle's WWII-era Garand at the range, for fun and enjoyment, and rest safe at night in the knowledge that if one or more of the local hoodlums (and there's a fair few in my town,) decide to mess with me, I have a 12-gauge shotgun close at hand.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 17 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

There goes the neighborh... err... thread.

About the LAW: It's not like an expended LAW is a weapon at all, so I don't see why you'd need some kind of amnesty for turning it in. Though it might have originally come into that person's possession through less-than-legal means...

About the silly knives (#4, #6): They sell that crap all over the place these days. Cracks me up seeing them in RPG Con stalls stacked next to serious replica swords.

About John Campbell's seax: Does this one count too?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 17 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The outlawing of knives in the UK has nothing to do with public safety. Its just a way for the secret international vegaterian-vegan cabal conspiricy to piss on us meat eaters. Without knives there is no way for us to cut our steaks.

Of ocurse, some don't carry knifes for self defense. Some people carry knives in case they have to cut thing. You'd be surpriszed how often that need actually comes up in a day. There are boxes and tightly sealed plastic packging. There are ropes and cords. There are the seatbelts of trafic accident victims who are about to be englfed in flames due to an ignited fuel leak.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 17 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Without knives there is no way for us to cut our steaks.

Real men rip the meat off the bone with their teeth. When the teeth go, we dissolve the steaks in coca cola and slurp it with a straw.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 17 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #22

Horror

Someone else likes the Mythbusters, eh?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 17 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Someone else likes the Mythbusters, eh?

I'm just saving up for a digestive expansion.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 17 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #24

Horror

Not even a digestive expansion could get me to eat coca-cola raw steak...

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 17 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #25

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Muzzaro)

Another Brit, here. Nottingham (St. Anne's to be precise) and reckon our area was the same situation as yours. I've moved since but in four years there I only ever got some minor trouble myself. It may be simply that I'm older, I don't know. Anyway, too many people had knives - some for defense and some for posturing. Stabbings were frequent by the rest of the county's standards but still rare in a way. There are psychos, I agree, but most people aren't and that includes most of the knife carriers who either want to look tough to their mates or be able to stand up for themselves when threatened. Most wouldn't use it unless pushed into it, and even then would probably not be trying to kill you. I'm not playing down the number of people who are hurt in knife attacks, but I'm trying to provide a little context.

A good friend got frightened when some people trapped him in a phone box (this was in a different city, btw). To me, it didn't sound too bad - just holding the door shut and a lot of banging and whooping, but then I'm fairly sure of myself and, more importantly I think, I recognise the difference between a bit of hassle and a genuine intent to harm. My friend was badly shaken and started carrying around a hammer in his jacket at night. Honestly, that's the worst response he could make. He would have carried a knife, I'm sure, but for whatever reason he considered a hammer to be the best weapon (probably some childhood movie association or something). In either case the principle was the same. I lived in dread of someone giving him some hassle and my friend, in his fear, pulling out the hammer. Aside from weakening his side considerably if he got picked up by the police, the likely response of anyone on having a weapon drawn on them would be to pound the shit out of him. He's just changed the whole scale of the confrontation. Maybe it's because I've been beaten up myself and have been through it and he came from a much more genteel background and its an unknown terror to him, but I'd say that his fear put him much greater danger than if he'd not given into it and made a decision not to carry.

The knife amnesty in the UK is a bit of a joke. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. It may reduce some of the numbers of knives on the street as it will encourage many of the half-hearted (and I mean this sincerely as a positive quality) to turn in their knives. But I strongly object to the stupid propaganda it is being used for. (For non-British, the campaign is being accompanied by frequent posters and gosh-wow press-releases). The pictures of these crappy star-trek knives accompanied by descriptions of "terrifying" are menat to appeal to the ill-informed Daily Mail types who are convinced that Engerland is being over-run by gay black people from Albania intent on raping our women. The purpose is three-fold. Firstly to make Tony Blair look good in his frequent spasms of media-whoring. Secondly, to keep middle-England good and scared so that they continue to give the police increased power. And thirdly, to convince people that homicide (of which we have by far the lowest rate in the recorded history of England and comparable to countries such as Sweden) is the great threat which we have to worry about rather than the fact that Rupert Murdoch's billion-pound turnover companies pay less than £1k tax per year in the UK and other such ways in which the British people actually do get screwed.

As you can tell if you've read through all that, I have quite strong feelings on this subject. I'm mostly of the opinion that you shouldn't carry weapons. If you do, the result is to make it much more likely that you'll get in a fight with such weapons. If you have a 50-50 chance of winning a knife fight and pulling a knife back on someone increases the chances of you getting into such a fight from 10% to 50% it's clear that not carrying a knife and attempting to keep the confrontation non-violent or knuckles only keeps you a lot safer.

More importantly, if you're carrying a knife it should be with the acknowledgement that there's a chance you might use it. I don't know if you, the reader, have ever beaten someone up or knocked someone out, but I have and I felt sick to my gut afterwards. I don't know how I would have felt if I had stabbed someone. Most of those who draw knives are young, often under eighteen. Could I live with myself if I had killed some sixteen year old? I'm not sure I could and I certainly intend to do everything I can to avoid finding out and that includes not carrying a knife.

-K.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.