Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arg! Mage spells and equipment, Need help. This stuff is damn confusing
Leviathan
post Jun 27 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,305

Ok, I'm making two characters for an upcoming Spec-Ops game (we're part of an Ares special operations squad). I've got the other character done, but the mage is giving me a helluva lot of trouble.

Special Rules
130 build points
All starting availability restrictions removed
All starting skill ranks restrictions removed
+1 :nuyen: million. This is to pay for additional spell-points, the points to bond foci, and all additional equipment.
I'm starting as a Rank Two initiate (Invoking and Channeling metamagics)

The Character
The character is a Dwarf Voodoo Shamen, follower of Damballah. He's magic is geared towards ways of gaining information, unobtrusively, detection and manipulation (as per his Loa), though he's going to have to have some combat power as well.
A big part of his combat and similar technique is going to be having a couple of Loa hovering with him, ready to be Channeled or Posses him, as needed.
Finally, He's got to be as independant of 'tools' as possible, so while a Foci or two would be a good idea, he's going to learn all spells flat out, no fettishes.

Edges/Flaws
Bonus Attribute Point - Willpower
Focussed Concentration
Allergy, Common and Moderate - Soy

Stats
Body - 6
Quickness - 6
Strength - 4
Charisma - 6
Intellect - 5
Willpower - 8
Magic - 8

Skills
Athletics - 4
Stealth - 4
Capoeira - 4
-> Whirling (2)
Biotech (First Aid) - 3/5
Pistols - 6
Conuring - 8
Sorcery - 8

(Havn't worked out my knowledge skills yet)

Problems
I've hit a huge snag with what spells to buy, how to divide my money between foci, other equipment (mmm, hardened military grade body armor...), spell points (and then how to split them between extra spells and bonding foci).

I'm hoping that you guys can give me some advice on this side of things.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Jun 27 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

well, looks like you have the cash to buy a whole lot of spell points, so go for the whole detection/manipulation spell range. Mind Probe, Control Thoughts/actions/emotions, Mob Mind/mood, detect enemies, detect lies, detect magic, clairaudience, clairvoyance, enhance aim (important for elemental manipulations and just straight out shooting things), combat sense, alter memory, compel truth, etc, etc. mix and match to taste, and throw a manabolt and stunball on top of it. Buy yourself a power focus and a couple sustaining foci for the spells you want going most of the time and you're set.

+Quote Post
Findar
post Jun 28 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,056

Ask your GM if you can assume the character did astral quests say maybe rating 2 to reduce the karma cost of learning each spell by 2. Then make sure you get Increase Reflexes +3, Enhance Aim, Increase Willpower & Increase Charisma at the highest force your GM will allow plus sustaining foci for each. Get some expendable spell foci at say rating 10 for each spell category. Make sure you always have an available sustaining focus to sustain a Treat spell for you. I'd also drop the Pistols in favor of a more potent combat option. Anything a pistol will affect your spells will handle just fine. A gun should be for the things to potent for your spells. If you stick with the pistols I recommend a Remington Roomsweeper loaded with Big D temper rounds.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Jun 29 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (Findar)
Then make sure you get Increase Reflexes +3, Enhance Aim, Increase Willpower & Increase Charisma at the highest force your GM will allow

But he has Willpower 8. The probability of reaching that TN per die is 5/36. So throw 8 Sorcery and 8 Spell pool into the casting and get 2 successes, which gives you a +1 to the attribute. Maybe you're lucky and get 4 successes so you get a +2 to the attribute. So you only need Force 2 if you're feeling lucky and want to rely on Willpower alone to resist drain, Force 1 otherwise.

The only way to munch that is to get one mage to cast Decrease Attribute and reduce the TN down to about 2. Then our mage casts Increase Attribute and locks it. Then first mage stops sustaining the spell. Then a skycow arrives on the scene at terminal velocity.

If you're able to research your own spells, you can use the formula in MitS to upgrade the Reflexes spell. Make it caster-only and +5d6 for a drain of +5D. Cast using one die and resist drain using Willpower + Sorcery + Spell pool. You'll get your TN (Reaction) soon enough, then lock it in a sustaining focus.

I agree with the astral quest reduction. Stack it with the Exclusive limitation for more spell levels for your spell points. An Exclusive spell cannot stored in a sustaining focus though (so use that limitation on instant combat spells, for example).

+Quote Post
Findar
post Jun 29 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,056

QUOTE (Bodak @ Jun 29 2006, 10:31 AM)
But he has Willpower 8. The probability of reaching that TN per die is 5/36. So throw 8 Sorcery and 8 Spell pool into the casting and get 2 successes, which gives you a +1 to the attribute. Maybe you're lucky and get 4 successes so you get a +2 to the attribute. So you only need Force 2 if you're feeling lucky and want to rely on Willpower alone to resist drain, Force 1 otherwise.

Good point I missed his Willpower 8. I'd get another Intiate level and take Centering. Drop the Willpower to 4 or 5. Take those Build Points and Buy Centering skill. Plan on casting the Increase Willpower with the maximum dice from foci you can get by using expendable spell foci. Then sustain the spell himself using Centering to get rid of the +1 TN mod from sustaining the spell. I'd estimate he should be able to handle at least +6 Willpower maybe +8 Willpower. And I can't believe I forgot this got to get Enchanting skill in their so he can make his own foci and get the foci cost done to next to nothing. We built some characters for a really high power campaign like this one looks to be. My GM had me pay for the time the character spent making his foci from his starting :nuyen: using Middle Lifestyle cost per month of enchanting.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Jun 30 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (Findar @ Jun 29 2006, 07:21 PM)
And I can't believe I forgot this got to get Enchanting skill in there so he can make his own foci and get the foci cost done to next to nothing. We built some characters for a really high power campaign like this one looks to be. My GM had me pay for the time the character spent making his foci from his starting  :nuyen: using Middle Lifestyle cost per month of enchanting.

Naturally. If you had initiated during chargen and had joined a magical group, you would have had to pay group membership dues each month also. If you had vehicles, you'd have to pay to maintain them too (though middle lifestyle's allowance partially covers vehicle expenses). Contact upkeep may also be appropriate. Even when you're rooting around in the desert scrounging up radical metals and picking weird herbs, you still have to pay council rates. Even when you're toiling night and day in your alchemy lab building foci, the bills still keep coming. Your contacts still expect you to spend some time / nuyen with them, going bowling, consuming Soy products, helping them with their runs / fenced loot, etc etc.

If you're going to get Enchanting / Talismongery, then grab a F2 or 3 Ally spirit (save the Familiar ordeal for later, when it will require almost as many kp as you want to invest in a familiar). Give the ally Ench/Tal so it can work while you run the shadows. This also means your actual Magic attribute will be one point lower, reducing the chance of magic-loss when you take deadly damage. But your effective Magic attribute for purposes of Sorcery and Conjuring, etc. will be higher than before, since your ally counts as a power focus and adds its Force to your Magic attribute (that's why it's better to get a F3 one. Also more likely to be strong and agile enough to not screw up while enchanting for you.)

If you're going to go with Increased Attribute Willpower, do like Findar says to Cha too. With Cha 6 you're going to struggle to get successes, meaning you'll get very little boost (so only need a low Force spell) but if you drop it to 4, half your dice will turn up successes (on average) so for every 4 dice you roll your attribute will increase by 1. Personally I wouldn't go this route - having a lower Will / Cha means you have low Bod / Str while astrally projecting (which you probably don't want to risk). It also cripples Skills based on these attributes (but who needs Sorcery, Conjuring or Etiquette anyway?) I am more inclined to have high attributes in the character's strengths (that's why in-character his education led him in that direction - because of natural aptitude) and low attributes in the areas of life he's not interested in. Mages with a Body of 2 have an Achilles' Heel - even with armour, they won't be able to stage down Deadly damage. They don't have Athletics or any of the other Bod-based skills. They rely on Combat pool to dodge bullets, Shapechange / Increase Attribute Body to soak damage, or Stealth and Illusions to not get shot at. Casting Increase Attribute with a TN of 2 gives you a nice bunch of successes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.