IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knockback Optional rule, Why I hate it.
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 28 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,494

I was reading through my Classic BattleTech RPG rules yesterday and I came across the knockback rules. I hate this optional rule (and its corresponding one in SR). Weapons don't knock you back as they do in the movies. Weapons kill by focusing their limited energy on a single point, thus penetrating the target and shreading up your insides. To get the needed force to "knockback" someone you would need a cannon that would apply the same force to the shooter. The only weapons out there that do that are the recoiless rifles and vehicle mounted weapons. Most of these weapons have a rear exhasut to balance out the force applied to the shooter (eg the Carl G anti-tank gun). I never play with the knockback rules and I wish Fanpro would remove them form their games.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 28 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

SR4 weapons don't knock you back like they did in previous editions, they knock you down, and then only if you're hurt really bad by them. Don't think of it as the force of the weapon driving you to your knees, but rather then force of the impact combined with the pain and being knocked off balance and it might be easier to stomach.

If not, feel free to remove it from your games, just don't let FanPro know or they'll send the SR Gestapo to your house while you're gaming. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 28 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Don't think of it as the force of the weapon driving you to your knees, but rather then force of the impact combined with the pain and being knocked off balance and it might be easier to stomach.

If you only think of it as the pain and other direct and indirect neurological effects knocking you down you might get by with a little less headache.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 28 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Can bullets not knock you off balance? i've never been shot, so wouldn't know for sure, but it seems like they could.

+Quote Post
Thorn Black
post Jun 28 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,431

I like the knockdown rules. It adds a bit of cinema to the games I run. Nothing like describing someone dancing the chaingun cha-cha to bring home how brutal firearms are.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 28 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

The knockdown rules, when linked with the rules for getting back up, are another way that the new rules protects characters from getting killed without reducing the lethality of the weapons to unrealistic levels, in the same way that the rules about armor changing physical damage to stun do. If you're down and can't get back up, you're a bit safer from gun fire and are more easily overlooked as a threat.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 28 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

And there's the surprose factor. when you shoot a guy in the chest and he drops, you're apt to assume he's dead and focus your attention elsewhere. When he pops back up you'll be wondering what the heck happened while looking down at the grenade at your feet.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 28 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Can bullets not knock you off balance?

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...ic=11675&st=100
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=12308
And the quote from the FBI Firearms Training Unit which finally convinced Azralon: "A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. [...] Tissue damage is the only physical link to incapacitation within the desired time frame, i.e., instantaneously."

QUOTE (Thorn Black)
Nothing like describing someone dancing the chaingun cha-cha to bring home how brutal firearms are.

I prefer realistic descriptions of how brutal firearms are. At the wrong end of a minigun, "knockdown" is the last thing you should be worried of, since you're probably going to be torn to shreds before you hit the ground.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 28 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Cool. I didn't mean it alone would knock you down, but that it would knock you off balance, which could in turn cause you to fall. But I'll defer to the more experienced gunmen here, since my experiences are drastically limited. :)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #10

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It is my belief that sometimes, when people are shot, they fall down but are not dead. They may even have trouble standing back up again right away. I think SR4's rule handles this well. It has nothing to do with kinetic energy or momentum, it has to do with, "Oh fuck I'm shot that hurts!!!" :-)

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jun 28 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

That's how I see it. I like knockdown (I sometimes even remember to use the rule!). But if you don't like it, there's no harm in ignoring it. Game balance isn't really affected much by it.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Jun 28 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Almost every (real) gunfight I have seen have showed the person who was shot falling to the ground. That is how i play it, the victims just fall forward on there knees, or sometimes drop there weapon or something like that. It adds a good deal to the game I believe.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jun 28 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And the quote from the FBI Firearms Training Unit which finally convinced Azralon: "A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. [...] Tissue damage is the only physical link to incapacitation within the desired time frame, i.e., instantaneously."

What about a bullet hitting an armored target, where the impact energy is spread out?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 28 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

If the bullet would otherwise have fully penetrated, then armor theoretically increases the probability of being knocked down through work and impulse. If the probability rounded to zero before, as it does for most small arms, it is highly unlikely this will make a real, observable difference.

Do you propose that, ceteris paribus, spreading the work over a wider area increases the probability of a man being physically shoved to the ground?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jun 28 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 98

Does it increase the probability? Sure, why not. That probability is so low, however, that an increase isn't really going to produce a massive change in the number of people who get physically knocked down by the impact of a bullet.

People do, however, FALL down when struck by bullets, either because their reflexive action is to drop low to avoid getting hit again, because the shock of being hit with a bullet disorients them for a second, or because they were already off-balance and the nudge of a round hitting them combined with the muscles near the point of impact tightening up in a trauma response certainly didn't help.

I've expanded SR's "knocked down" state to include being off balance or disoriented... systemically it handles identically (in that it takes a Simple Action to get rid of the modifier), but fluff-wise it can consist of staggering, being in severe pain, or getting the wind knocked out of you. It flows better with my understanding of the realities of gunfights, and doesn't require me to hack out a piece of the system to make it work.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 28 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Eh. I'll use the rule when I switch to a new set of rules. For firearms and most other weapons it'll be a Willpower test to convince your body not to crumple like a piece of paper when you get shot. But to give credit where credit's due, it was someone else who came up with the rule.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 28 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

If you just say "someone else" you're only disavowing credit, not actually giving it where it's due. :)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 28 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (James McMurray)
And there's the surprose factor. when you shoot a guy in the chest and he drops, you're apt to assume he's dead and focus your attention elsewhere. When he pops back up you'll be wondering what the heck happened while looking down at the grenade at your feet.

...or like when you get hit in the face by a stunbolt spell form the mage you thought was "down for the count".

That actually happened to KK on the last run she was on.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jun 29 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #19

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

It's not "not with me." Aside from that, since he doesn't read DS and no one else on DS knows him, it doesn't really matter.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 29 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Honor always matters.

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Jun 29 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,683

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Honor always matters.

i found the last samurai :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 29 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

If he was a white guy you found a fraud. :)

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Jun 29 2006, 02:09 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,683

QUOTE (James McMurray)
If he was a white guy you found a fraud. :)

i think any gaijin'll do!

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Jun 29 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 8,459

I like the knockback rules. I describe it as both of an "oh shit, I've been stabbed!" sort of thing, and also as a cinematic device (having a guy get blown across a room by a shotgun is just plain cool); it varies on the situation. The key thing is to make sure everyone is having fun. If everyone in the group hates a rule (or if you're GMing and it's giving you a headache), just ignore it. Problem solved.

On another note, I've always wondered why people even bother complaining about a rule they don't even use in the first place. It's not like it's affecting their game.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 29 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Protagonist)
On another note, I've always wondered why people even bother complaining about a rule they don't even use in the first place. It's not like it's affecting their game.

Because this is an internet forum, and even moreso this is Dumpshock. If you ain't complainin' about somethin' you ain't doin' it right. ;)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.