> OOC: Genesis
BlackHat
post Aug 9 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #101

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,180

QUOTE (Cedric Rolfsson)
Question, I'm not much on the hacking thing but how long would it take to have Dual pull up the screamsheet articles on the fire? If two people died then I'm sure they were at least mentioned? If it wouldn't take long might as well pull that data up so we have it available, it would help to ask more intelligent questions I think.

Some of the things I think we should find out;

What, exactly does he do for Spagetti-Breath? Does he hand out assignments to underlings, does he prepare tax documents, does he prepare business contracts?
Does he have any business interest in Mr. Cesarino's operations? Like is he the name on the business front for some of Mr. C's operations?
If he were to die, who would be most likely to assume his duties? Ambitious underlings?
If he were to die or quit suddenly, what areas would it have the largest impact on?
Who would most likely benefit from a disruption of Casarino's operations?
Was he supposed to be home the night of the fire? If so what caused him to be out that night?

I'm not a mob expert but one of them consegirlie guys often is a kind of uber-assistant, sort of like the mouth piece of boss if I understand right. He deals with the actual carrying out of the don's orders. Often times these people have their names as officers of the corporations that actually own the businesses, since they are trusted to remain loyal no matter what. Maybe this is aimed directly at Lassiter rather than Cesarino.

Good idea. Not sure what a "screamsheet" is, but I think it depends on where the articles are stored.

If they are publicly available, such as articles from a newspaper about the fires, Dual could have them up in a matter of seconds - and might already be browsing them while he pretends to be silently listening. If we're talking about bringing up police or fire department case-files, that would require hacking, which wouldn't take long, but would consume more OOC time than IC time.

Note to MJ:
Dual will begin doing a data-search across public nodes for information relavant to this case.
10 dice: 2,2,4,5,3,4,2,4,3,3 = 4 hits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 9 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #102

Running Target

Member No.: 6,931

'screamsheet' was the term Dirk used in the novel 2XS to describe the 2055 version of the newspapers. I believe it was also the term used in Nosferatu novel with Serrin Shamadar by Carl Sargant [sic]. It's basically a virtual newspaper.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 10 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #103

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,129

BlackHat
Don't worry, I'm not forgetting about your search. I'll give you your results in a few.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 10 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #104

Prime Runner

QUOTE (BlackHat)
Note to MJ:
Dual will begin doing a data-search across public nodes for information relavant to this case.

I just count 1 hit.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 10 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #105

Prime Runner

Cedric
Also, I'm terribly sorry about not answering your earlier question... when you asked if the rolls gave you a good estimate of a starting price. I remember reading your post, and I was going to answer it... but since I have the attention of a goldfish, I got distracted and forgot about it. Terribly sorry! I wasn't ignoring you ! I swear :D

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 10 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #106

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Mister Juan)
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 9 2006, 08:22 AM)
Note to MJ:

I just count 1 hit.

Yep, I am retarded, and counted 4's. ;-) I see only 1 hit too.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 10 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #107

Running Target

Don't worry, the price we got is fine and it's not like I had time to call around to the local "Shadowrunner's Temp Agency" to get a price listing. We're good.

Do you think Lone Star would check the local databanks around the time of the fire to see which data trails led to and from that area?

Since the book talks about most people not even being aware of their data trails it would seem to me to be a common police practice to check that kind of information, except I'm not sure what access to private individual's wireless communications devices they would have in the future. The whole 'search and seizure' issue is unclear especially in relation to extra-territoriality of some corporations. I'm wondering if Lone Star can just start hacking into people's data files to see who's been nearby without permission. Depending on the GM ruling on this will help flesh out the Lone Star investigator's report and will help us determine what hacking Dual will need to do.

Also, I think we'll need to get the fire investigator's report from Franklin Fire Services, the corporation that provided fire services in the old SR3 books, unless its incorporated into the Lone Star report. If the arson was clearly the result of a liquid accelerant or the result of a rampaging fire elemental it will make a difference in how we evaluate our opposition and approach tracking them down.

Sorry for being such a Type A person, but I love the whole 'solve-the-mystery' part of this.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 10 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #108

Great Dragon

I think that simple data-trail stuff, like checking the logs of everyone who entered a store that was robbed in the last 24 hours would be pretty common practice. I think any illegal hacking, like exploiting your way into those commlinks, and digging for more information, or hacking into nearby wireless access points to follow a datatrail - wouldn't be.

I'm not sure what's cannon for the SR world (or for our GMs world), but it seems to me that it would be pretty much the same as today. The government COULD hire decent hackers to violate your privacy and more efficently solve crimes (example: Recent US NSA wire-tapping in order to find terrorists)... but the public wouldn't recieve it very well, and it becomes a PR nightmare (in addition to violating the law). The biggest problem would be that anyone who knows that much about computers and hacking knows that a datatrail can be spoofed, cleaned up, ect. So any evidence of the sort wouldn't be admissable in court, since it would be impossible to prove that it was legitimate.

I see lonestar as being fully capable of putting their resources into obtaining that kind of data, but that it wouldn't be admissable in court, and might cost someone their job if it got out in the open. I could totally see a lone star detective using a hacker contact to dig up information to help him solve the crime (and find OTHER evidence, that he COULD use).

Of course, if they did do this, it won't be on any official reports.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 11 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #109

Running Target

Okay, we'll probably need to speak with the counselor, I'd say we're going to need a look at that counselor's files.

Whether or not Lone Star does a criminal investigation there would be a fire investigation report, if for no other purpose than insurance companies would insist on one. We should look into that as well.

I'm no expert but does it seem a little odd that it took 1 hour to put out the fire? I'd think it would be quicker than that.

There's going to be a coroner's report, again they'd have to do that for the death certificate in order to tag the SIN as 'deceased'

We ought to look into why this is being reported this way, maybe leaking our findings to the newspapers and talking cover-up might break something loose when we need it. Put pressure on the players and see what breaks loose. Something for later obviously.

EDIT:

Telephone records for the date and time, see who called the emergency, see if any calls were made just before the fire, etc.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 11 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #110

Prime Runner

Damn am I glad I got you in this game Cedric ;)

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 12 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #111

Running Target

Thank you for the compliment, I'm not sure if its because I post constantly or the actual content of the posts.

To be fair, I have an advantage since I'm a criminal defense lawyer in real life and picking apart an investigation is my job. This is reverse engineering so to speak. :)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 12 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #112

Great Dragon

Lols. Cheater.

Anyways, I agree, those are all good ideas, but (from what I've learend from fake crime TV shows) there is a decent chance that there wasn't an autopsy - or that the coroner was paid off to put down whatever those who wanted to gloss over this crime wanted him to put down.

I think it will therefore be important for us to find out how far this "conspiracy" goes (and if there is actually any evidence of it at all). It would probably be difficult for Lone Star to coordinate and organize any actual disposal or removal of evidence unless there was someone who had control of the investigation and a driving reason to see this through (and risk his job and such). I suppose that it's possible that all the officers would recognize the connection between the victim and the man standing in front of us - and that they all just decided to ignore the case, and hide any evidence of foul play... but I suspect their had to be a ringleader. Even if they were all amiable to the plan from the start, someone would have had to step up to coordinate the thing to make sure it never came back to haunt them. (Like, you know, if Shadowrunners were hired to dig up the truth).

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 17 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #113

Great Dragon

Dual probably won't offer up any more questions himself. He's interested in what these mob guys offer up of their own free will - and figures that anything this guy says is probably just as biased as anything the Star would have to say about it.

He will sit queitly while they answer Flicker or Aja's questions though.

Whenever we would like to start Legwork, Dual is good to go.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 21 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #114

Prime Runner

So, no more love for my little intrigue?
If you guys have simply run out of questions to ask Lassiter, we can move on.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 21 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #115

Great Dragon

See above post. :-) I am out of questions, and ready to move on.

+Quote Post
Vegas
post Aug 21 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #116

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,326

I've gotten stuck working 9 (now possibly 10) days straight and dealing with computer problems and issues at home, so I honestly haven't had the time to devote to Genesis like I'd like to have. :( Sorry guys. I'll do my damnest to get something together ASAP.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 21 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #117

Running Target

Sorry gone for a couple of days, I'm back now and I'll get caught up.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 21 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #118

Running Target

Okay, read your questions Vegas and wanted to bounce an idea around.

The birth of Brandon strikes me as odd.

"She then found some new fertility clinic, in Italy I believe. Brandon was born there, in vitro."

Does that raise any issues with anyone else? I mean, Lassiter has access to all manner of legal, and illegal, medical facilities here in Seattle. He's a criminal defense lawyer who makes his living by nit-picking police officers on the minute details of their investigations yet he says ". . .in Italy I believe." As if he wasn't even sure where this clinic is at, but he's obviously very close to his sister and nephew. I'm curious as to why she had to go to a fertility clinic in Italy and what was so special about the treatment they could provide that she wouldn't be able to get the same teatments here in Seattle through Lassiter's sources.

Blackhat, your character's internal monologue indicates he doesn't understand why I'm going into this line of questioning. One of the reasons I'm curious is because most homicides are committed by family members or friends. Always look to the nearest and dearest for perps is the golden rule. Divorce or custody cases always generate hard feelings and those hard feelings often lead to irrational acts. (I do divorce law too, the only time anyone's ever seriously threatened to kill me has been as a result of a divorce/custody case). Occam's Razor; the simplest solution is usually right; is one of my guiding principles so before I start assuming the murder flows from Mr. Lassiter's mob ties lets explore the possibilities that the murder flows from something tied specifically to the victim herself.

It just seems too easy, too convienent for this to be mob related. It may be at odds with Occam's Razor but my guts tell me that there is more here than that, maybe I just expect Mr. J. to be sneakier. :D

Another reason I'm exploring this area is the name of the thread: Genesis. Births and Beginnings.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 21 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #119

Prime Runner

;)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 21 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #120

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Cedric Rolfsson)
Blackhat, your character's internal monologue indicates he doesn't understand why I'm going into this line of questioning. One of the reasons I'm curious is because most homicides are committed by family members or friends.

Acutally, OOC, I got that part - from watching a lot of CSI. :-D
Dual, on the other hand, doesn't have a lot of experience asking these sorts of questions, so he's happy to sit back and observe and let the people who know what they are doing do the talking.

+Quote Post
Vegas
post Aug 21 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #121

Runner

@ Cedric

IC'ly I'm going off the REST of the info on mob activities that have been going on that A'ja found out before the meet. So yeah, it does strike as odd/off, but she's also operating from a different set of peramiters and knowledges than say either Flicker or Dual might be. :D

But yes, as you can see she's also following up on the angle of the son as well asking about suits of paternity and the like :D Gotta cover ALL the bases when MJ is involved ;P

No doubt I'm missing something vital along the way... but all the more fun with the roller coaster ride we're liable to be going on shortly ;P

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 22 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #122

Running Target

I'm not trying to hi-jack the conversation or be critical or negative or anything I'm just bouncing ideas. That way latter, I'll do a simply IC post that says we kicked it around and Flicker explained his theories. Instead of playing this all out IC.

If I'm getting to long winded during this stage just let us know and we'll bump. I'm hoping to get access to the victim's data files to see if we can find out more info that way, that may be the next logical step.

+Quote Post
Vegas
post Aug 22 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #123

Runner

Never meant to imply that I thought you were ;)

I'm sure we're all itching to keep this moving forward, I just got "behind" because I was out of town for 5 days and then was at work all the time :P I just feel behind a bit and now I'm playing catch up ;)

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 23 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #124

Prime Runner

@Vegas
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about A'ja asking Cesarino for all the info they already had. She'll get the file soon enough, I just haven't, honestly, typed it up :P

@ All
So, you're pretty much "on your own" now. :D You can stay at THE Sports Bar if you want, as none of the mafioso are really paying attention to you. The only one still looming over you is the original "doorman" who cam in with you. He's now a few tables away, reading some screamsheet while keeping an eye on all of your four.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 24 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #125

Running Target

Information on a safe house, a neutral place we could rent for a week or so that's couldn't be traced back to any one of our characters.

Seattle Safe Houses + Logic
You asked for 7 rolls and your target is 5 ... here are the results:

1: 3
2: 3
3: 5 ... Success
4: 6 + 2 = 8. ... Success
5: 3
6: 4
7: 5 ... Success

3 successes

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.