post Jul 4 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Shiawase- Japanese for "happy."
Renraku- Japanese for "communication."
Wuxing- Chinese for "Five Stars."

What about Saeder-Krupp and Yamatetsu? Maybe even Mitsuhama?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adamu
post Jul 4 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Snakehandler

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,508

Well, first of all, they are basically just names. Real life Mitsubishi means "three chestnuts," but no one in Japan thinks of it that way any more than we think of Bob Smith as a blacksmith or Todd Johnson as the son of John. My wife's name before we got married was (is) Setsuko Kawahara, which means "season child" and "river bed." Believe me, neither her nor her parents ever think of the names in those terms.

Still, no doubt it is fun to translate the names. Unfortunately, one cannot be sure of the translation without seeing the Chinese characters (even for the Japanese names). Probably, though, Mitsuhama is "three beaches" and Yamatetsu is "mountain iron," or "iron mountain," if you like.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Adamu is right, to an extent. When the Renraku corporation was named Renraku (it was previously Keruba International), it was playing off of the meaning of "communication." Inazo Aneki was fascinated by communication, human/software interaction, and sociology. Of course, that personal interest ended up creating the Renraku Arcology and Deus and ended with Aneki's death.

Wuxing actually translates to "five elements", though that's even a rough translation since the Chinese concept of elements is different from the Western one.

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 4 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,734

Krupp doesn't have a translation as such instead coming from the name of the firm (and the original family) although the word krupp can be used in German as an adjective meaning strong, probably in reference to their steel's strength. (EX: Es ist sehr krupp, ja?)

It's like Chrysler in Nissan-Chrylser. It's just a family name that is attached to a company. A close name to those you are thinking about would be something like Ares Macrotechnology, clearly coming from Ares the Greek God of War.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 4 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Rock)
Es ist sehr krupp, ja?

Having spent my entire life (27 years) in Germany I have never heard or seen this use of the word "Krupp" before!

Around the Nazi time there existed the saying "Hart wie Kruppstahl" (Eng: "hard as Krupp steel"), but that's quite antiquated (besides, the company is named Thyssen-Krupp today).

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Jul 4 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jul 4 2006, 09:43 AM)
Wuxing actually translates to "five elements", though that's even a rough translation since the Chinese concept of elements is different from the Western one.

Did you know that Emo is Chinese? ;)

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jul 4 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ Jul 4 2006, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Rock @ Jul 4 2006, 06:35 PM)
Es ist sehr krupp, ja?

Having spent my entire life (27 years) in Germany I have never heard or seen this use of the word "Krupp" before!

Around the Nazi time there existed the saying "Hart wie Kruppstahl" (Eng: "hard as Krupp steel"), but that's quite antiquated (besides, the company is named Thyssen-Krupp today).

Local slang probably.

Speaking of which I always imagined there quite a difference between east and west slang. Even all these years since reunification. Does such a divide exist?

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 4 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brahm)
Speaking of which I always imagined there quite a difference between east and west slang. Even all these years since reunification. Does such a divide exist?

There are indeed differences between East and West German speech habits. Even East Germans speaking standard German instead of a distinctive dialect (an extreme, instantly recognisable dialect example would be Saxonian) often show a certain choice of words and small grammatical differences that betray their origin.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 4 2006, 02:52 PM)

He's using the wrong translation, though. Wuxing, the corporation, is 五行. Which is "five elements." 五星 would indeed be "five stars", but that's the wrong "xing."

Page 76 of Portfolio of a Dragon mentions that the corporation's name means "five elements."

+Quote Post
Homme-qui-rigole
post Jul 4 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 4,248

Fuchi translate in "abyss"

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jul 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #11

Dragon

They write the name in Chinese? Where?

And is it true about "Fuchi?" Does it translate into Musashi's "void" element?

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Jul 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

He's using the wrong translation, though. Wuxing, the corporation, is ??. Which is "five elements." ?? would indeed be "five stars", but that's the wrong "xing."

Page 76 of Portfolio of a Dragon mentions that the corporation's name means "five elements."

Ooooh, I get it. I can definitely see how rendering Chinese words in Roman characters would cause confusion, though.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jul 4 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Oooh, simulateneous posts...

I'm not mocking you... :(

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 4 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (FanGirl)

Is he? I'd always assumed he was American of Chinese ancestry.

~J

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 4 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ Jul 4 2006, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (Rock @ Jul 4 2006, 06:35 PM)
Es ist sehr krupp, ja?

Local slang probably.

Never heard the term used where I spend the last decade. And that is only 30km from the "Villa Hügel" (Home of the Krupp Dynastie) in the Ruhr Valley. Neither heard that back in Braunschweig where I spend quite some time with Ex-GDR citizins shortly after germanies second-biggest mistake.

We have an Illness known as (Pseudo)Krupp, a lung/bronchial thing IIRC. Aside from that, it's part of the "classical": "Tough as Leather, Hard as Krupp Steel, Fast as the racing dogs" motto given out to the german use by a certain second rate Austrian painter. "Krupp Stahl" is actually a special type of surface hardened steel (Krupp Cementit Verfahren) used for warships.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jul 4 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

What clued you in? Was it my apparent lack of self-discipline?

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 4 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

Frankfurter Bankenverein is "Frankfurt Bank Club", a Verein being something that is founded when three germans spend more than an hour together.

AG Chemie Europa is Aktien Gesellschaft Chemie, Europe or Chemistry Incorporated, Europe.

BuMoNa (Bund für Mobilen Notfall-Arzteinsatz) is Organisation/Coorporation for Mobile Emergency Doctors Operations

BMW (Bayrische Motoren Werke aka Bums mal Wieder, Bei Mercedes Weggeworfen) is Bavarian Engine Producers (or Fu... again or Thrown Away by Mercedes)

MET 2000 (Mobile Eingreiftruppe 2000) is Mobile Invention Force 2000

Proteus most like comes from Prometeus, the Greek guy who brought humanity the fire

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (emo samurai)
They write the name in Chinese? Where?

It doesn't appear in Chinese lettering anywhere in print, but it does appear in print as translating to "five elements." There's only one way to write "five elements" in Chinese lettering that also comes out as "Wuxing." :)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jul 4 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Dragon

k00l...

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 5 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 4 2006, 09:56 PM)
Proteus most like comes from Prometeus, the Greek guy who brought  humanity the fire

Proteus is the actual name of another greek mythological figure, a minor god, "old man of the sea" with shapeshifting powers.

"Saeder", as in Saeder-Krupp, is the danish for "seat" or something like that. I doesn't seem to be used as a family name, thought I don't see how it could end up with a company called "Seat Munitions" or "Seat Strategic Industries". My guess is that some US authors randomly made up a name that sounded German (as far as I remember, S-K appeared first in the NAGNA, some times before german authors walked in with the Germany sourcebook).
At some point during the writing of SoE, I toyed with the idea of having Saeder being an acronym who lost capitalization (like Fiat). Having 'SA' at the beginning of a French company name is a common feature, it's like having 'AG' at the beginning of a German company name (besides, SA et AG are similar type of companies). But anyway there wasn't enough room in the book to put everything.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Jul 5 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

QUOTE (Birdy)
Proteus most like comes from Prometeus, the Greek guy who brought humanity the fire

Likely not. Proteus was an actual mythological figure of his own right. Typically portrayed as the son of Poseidon, he was sea-going and could change shape. He also was gifted with prophesy, but was very stingy and never told anyone what he saw.

A Proteus is also a class of bacteria typically associated with urinary tract infections. I'm betting it's in reference to the god, though.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 5 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

as i recall, all of the original megacorp names were lifted from actual corporations. Saeder-Krupp, for instance, probably came from Friedrich Krupp AG Hoesch-Krupp. i know there's an actual Ares, Inc that produces firearms. i'm pretty sure i've seen links to Aztechnology on the boards.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 5 2006, 05:30 AM
Post #23

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

You have.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 5 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Birdy)
Frankfurter Bankenverein is "Frankfurt Bank Club", a Verein being something that is founded when three germans spend more than an hour together.

The official English name ist "Frankfurt Bank Association (FBA)", though.

BMW (Bayrische Motoren Werke aka Bums mal Wieder, Bei Mercedes Weggeworfen) is Bavarian Engine Producers

Officially: "Bavarian Motor Works".

MET 2000 (Mobile Eingreiftruppe 2000) is Mobile Invention Force 2000

I think you mean "Mobile Intervention Force 2000".

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 5 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (emo samurai)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 4 2006, 03:39 PM)

~J

What clued you in? Was it my apparent lack of self-discipline?

What clued me in was that time when you said it in a post. :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.