Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tutorial Scenario Series, Resource for new GMs and ideas for old
BobAlmighty
post Jul 6 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,710

I've been running a SR4 game for a few weeks. I'm fairly new to the Shadowrun world (Played SR3 some though) but I'm starting to get a pretty good grasp of the rules. However, one of the things that strikes me about SR4 is that unlike systems like 3.5E DnD, the rules are much more of a framework. I like this very much, but it really makes the job of running the game more significant.

My idea is to create a small series of scenarios that play out and show one possibility of how players might attack the problem. This has sorta been done in the Idiots Guide to the Matrix 2.0 but I'd love to see other things handled.

Here's a quick list of things that have occurred in my game a couple of times.
  • Meeting a contact in a bar
  • Looking for work, IE: finding a Johnson
  • Dealing with the cops
  • Breaking and Entering on corp properties
  • AMBUSH!

CODE

I know that there are alot of ways to handle these kinds of things, and much of it depends on what sort of world the players are operating in. I'm more interested in these sorts of scenarios from a rules stand point. Here's a short example using meeting a contact in a bar.  

Team of 5 runners, one hacker, one street detective with limited magic, one mage, one street samurai walk into a bar. They are looking for a contact that they have a limited discription of. Male, Human, medium build, dark hair Name: Thomas Jensen. The team needs to meet him to get some information they are looking for about a shipment of cyberware that is being held by his company, Ares. They do not trust him.  

The hacker runs a background search for the person, finds that the info checks out.  

The street detective scopes the bar, and has the hacker get him a layout of the building.  

The mage goes astral and scopes the bar out.  

The samurai goes in to the bar in the physical to meet and obtain the information.  

Hacker locates the contacts location via his signal, verified by the mage.  

Samurai makes contact and retrieves information.  

So as you can see this is a pretty simple example, but there are a lot of mechanics involved here. What do you guys think of making some more examples, but including the actual game mechanics involved to get a feel for the system?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.