IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most useless stat?
Most useless stat?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 135
Guests cannot vote 
emo samurai
post Jul 11 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Which stat do people find to be utterly useless, or at least less useful than every other stat?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jul 11 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Strength is less useful than any other stat.

It's certainly not utterly useless, though.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 11 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

I voted edge...but let me explain.

For different character types, different stats are important, or completely useless. I mean, for mundanes, magic is not used. For anything other than technomancers, resonance is not used.

So, you could go down the chain of each attribute and point out a type of character that wouldn't use one of them...or really even need them.

Edge is the only one that all characters can get some use out of, but conversely, could be taken out of the game and not majorly affect anyone...

So, throwing all character types together, the only stat that I can say is really not needed as much as any other stat is edge...

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 11 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Strength is not less useful if you have a character focusing on unarmed combat or melee weapons. Granted, that is not the biggest pool of characters by far, but it is pretty darn important to someone using a melee weapon or martial arts.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 11 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I voted magic just to yank Emo's chain

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 11 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

There's no such thing as a useless stat. Even strength is necessary if you want to carry stuff around and your GM isn't ignoring the encumbrance rules. Every stat has a character that will focus on it, and a character that will ignore it as much as possible.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jul 11 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #7

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

@deek: Yeah, I think I look at it from another direction.

Like, take all possible character concepts. Then look at each and figure out which attribute is useful or not so much for them. Then, I think, Strength will come up last, overall. That's how I understood the question. :)

Magic, for example, while not useful at all for a majority of the character concepts, is clearly the most powerful attribute for those, where it is, therefore it ends up somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Edge is useful for absolutely everyone. I also think that Edge is extremely potent in play. I would be tempted to put it on the first rank, actually.

Body, Reaction, Intuition are also very universally useful attributes, closely followed by Agility and Willpower. Charisma is also useful, but not necessarily for everyone and Logic is only for certain types, as is Strength. Those two are the 'universally weakest' attributes IMHO.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 11 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

@Thanee

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, and certainly agree. I chose my angle because I knew I could defend it and would make for good debate:)

And while I definitely agree with Edge's potency in play, it is also the one attribute, if you remove it completely, affects every single character the same, but still allows all to be played effectively.

I like Edge and what it brings, but I think a game can be run and enjoyed without it, thus making less useful than any other attribute...

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jul 11 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

This is probably the munchkin nature of my group showing up, but for us, charisma is the stat that is invariably the lowest on every character in our group and the least used.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 11 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

That raises another point: the weakest stat frequently depends on the game style. In Lagomorph's game either social interaction is a minor part, or it's handled more through role playing (I don't know which). In another game social interaction might be the be-all-end-all of how to complete a run, and Agility's importance might get replaced.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 11 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
This is probably the munchkin nature of my group showing up, but for us, charisma is the stat that is invariably the lowest on every character in our group and the least used.

Yeah, I see that a lot as well. I mean, even in the DnD world unless something useful is attached to it, otherwise, we just roleplay that sort of thing out.

Now, I believe charisma is used for Astral Initiative and is the limit to the amount of spirits you can bind...which leads me to believe your group doesn't foray into the astral all that much or use spirits...

James is right on though, some stats are really going to depend on gameplay style. As my latest group was created characters, I got asked about 100 times what Willpower was used for...so that tells me in their character builds, this is going to be a pretty low stat...as will Charisma.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Jul 11 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 98

Logic and Strength are usually the ones my group skips on.

Amusingly, they end up in a decent number of fistfights, where you'd think having another point or two of damage coming out would be beneficial.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jul 12 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (James McMurray)
That raises another point: the weakest stat frequently depends on the game style. In Lagomorph's game either social interaction is a minor part, or it's handled more through role playing (I don't know which). In another game social interaction might be the be-all-end-all of how to complete a run, and Agility's importance might get replaced.

Both usually, it's usually minor, and also usually roleplayed.

QUOTE (deex)

Now, I believe charisma is used for Astral Initiative and is the limit to the amount of spirits you can bind...which leads me to believe your group doesn't foray into the astral all that much or use spirits...

That too, most of us prefer mages to shamans, and very rarely use spirits

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jul 12 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Personally, I'm a fan of the house rule that give bonues to recoil comp based on strength - it makes it worth investing points in, then. It makes sams and mercs scary as shit, though (especially the ork and troll ones).

(ducks out of sight before someone burns me as a heretic)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jul 12 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...Based on the runs I've participated in, I chose logic

except for some technical skills and Drain for Hermetics...

It doesn't mean a thing for a hacker since the DP is based on Programme rating + applicable skill (Hacking, Electronic Warfare, Data Search)

Knowledge skills are no longer supplementary to active skills as they were in SR3.

Strength on the other hand not only governs DV in melee combat, but also how much crap a character can haul around with them, whether he or she can default on skills like swimming & running (the latter having come into play on quite a number of occasions), and as Apathy mentioned, if you use the HR on Recoil Compensaton.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Jul 12 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

I'd go with Logic...only Hackers would really need it, and they can pass on it entirely if they put their money into some decent programs. Strength is still necessary for melee attacks. Logic can literally just be replaced with money, with no real ill effects at all.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 12 2006, 06:16 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

It really depends on the build. For non-fighters or spellslingers, Strength will be the least useful stat. Even some fighter builds are possible with a low Strength (such as an elven gunslinger with a monofilament whip). For non-techies such as shamans (heck, anyone but a rigger, hacker, or technomancer), Logic is not that useful.

But no stat is useless. Even if you don't fight, Strength still determines things like how much you can carry. And Logic is one of the stats that you use to figure out your free starting knowledge skills.

+Quote Post
ZenOgre
post Jul 12 2006, 07:00 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 8,642

Voted edge, however like has been said, all depends on character concept. They're all important but you're gonna only want to roll edge or have a pt. availiable for when you realy need to do that one thing to pull your hoop out of the fire.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 12 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Strength, as only few runners get into unarmed combats.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jul 12 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Strength can be largely unnessecary, even for a melee combattant. I am presently playing a character right now who has melee ability (he wields a combat axe with 9 dice) and I didn't bother buying his strength above 1. Okay, so the main reason I have the combat axe is for use in astral combat, but the fact remains that even a melee-capable character doesn't need strength.

Charisma is used in defense against some spirit powers and lots of social situations. Having low/no social skills can leave you highly succeptible to characters with them, as social situations happen even if your character is uncouth with 1 charisma. Uncouth means your character cannot resist an attempt to con you. Think about that before you leave the uncouth troll to guard somewhere. "Excuse me, I need to use the toilet." is probably all the fast-talk they'd need.

Edge is not entierly useless for any character who might find themselves in a combat situation, as it's used in defense against suppressive fire.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 12 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

How do you carry anything with a strength of 1?

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jul 12 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 12 2006, 03:57 PM)
How do you carry anything with a strength of 1?

A Combat Axe weighed 2KG under 3rd edition, I doubt it's gotten heavier. Aside from that I carry clothes, a commlink, and an armored vest. That should all stay under 8KG. If we need to move somethign heavy then I can just levitate it, summon a spirit to carry it, or get the sammie to carry it.

+Quote Post
fool
post Jul 12 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

A good thing to have done with this poll is to include none of the above.
All stats are important especially to have a well rounded character.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post Jul 12 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 875

Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage. From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 12 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Samoth)
Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage. From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.

Look into hacking then.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.