Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most useless stat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Which stat do people find to be utterly useless, or at least less useful than every other stat?
Thanee
Strength is less useful than any other stat.

It's certainly not utterly useless, though.

Bye
Thanee
deek
I voted edge...but let me explain.

For different character types, different stats are important, or completely useless. I mean, for mundanes, magic is not used. For anything other than technomancers, resonance is not used.

So, you could go down the chain of each attribute and point out a type of character that wouldn't use one of them...or really even need them.

Edge is the only one that all characters can get some use out of, but conversely, could be taken out of the game and not majorly affect anyone...

So, throwing all character types together, the only stat that I can say is really not needed as much as any other stat is edge...
deek
Strength is not less useful if you have a character focusing on unarmed combat or melee weapons. Granted, that is not the biggest pool of characters by far, but it is pretty darn important to someone using a melee weapon or martial arts.
stevebugge
I voted magic just to yank Emo's chain
James McMurray
There's no such thing as a useless stat. Even strength is necessary if you want to carry stuff around and your GM isn't ignoring the encumbrance rules. Every stat has a character that will focus on it, and a character that will ignore it as much as possible.
Thanee
@deek: Yeah, I think I look at it from another direction.

Like, take all possible character concepts. Then look at each and figure out which attribute is useful or not so much for them. Then, I think, Strength will come up last, overall. That's how I understood the question. smile.gif

Magic, for example, while not useful at all for a majority of the character concepts, is clearly the most powerful attribute for those, where it is, therefore it ends up somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Edge is useful for absolutely everyone. I also think that Edge is extremely potent in play. I would be tempted to put it on the first rank, actually.

Body, Reaction, Intuition are also very universally useful attributes, closely followed by Agility and Willpower. Charisma is also useful, but not necessarily for everyone and Logic is only for certain types, as is Strength. Those two are the 'universally weakest' attributes IMHO.

Bye
Thanee
deek
@Thanee

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, and certainly agree. I chose my angle because I knew I could defend it and would make for good debate:)

And while I definitely agree with Edge's potency in play, it is also the one attribute, if you remove it completely, affects every single character the same, but still allows all to be played effectively.

I like Edge and what it brings, but I think a game can be run and enjoyed without it, thus making less useful than any other attribute...
Lagomorph
This is probably the munchkin nature of my group showing up, but for us, charisma is the stat that is invariably the lowest on every character in our group and the least used.
James McMurray
That raises another point: the weakest stat frequently depends on the game style. In Lagomorph's game either social interaction is a minor part, or it's handled more through role playing (I don't know which). In another game social interaction might be the be-all-end-all of how to complete a run, and Agility's importance might get replaced.
deek
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
This is probably the munchkin nature of my group showing up, but for us, charisma is the stat that is invariably the lowest on every character in our group and the least used.

Yeah, I see that a lot as well. I mean, even in the DnD world unless something useful is attached to it, otherwise, we just roleplay that sort of thing out.

Now, I believe charisma is used for Astral Initiative and is the limit to the amount of spirits you can bind...which leads me to believe your group doesn't foray into the astral all that much or use spirits...

James is right on though, some stats are really going to depend on gameplay style. As my latest group was created characters, I got asked about 100 times what Willpower was used for...so that tells me in their character builds, this is going to be a pretty low stat...as will Charisma.
Shrike30
Logic and Strength are usually the ones my group skips on.

Amusingly, they end up in a decent number of fistfights, where you'd think having another point or two of damage coming out would be beneficial.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That raises another point: the weakest stat frequently depends on the game style. In Lagomorph's game either social interaction is a minor part, or it's handled more through role playing (I don't know which). In another game social interaction might be the be-all-end-all of how to complete a run, and Agility's importance might get replaced.

Both usually, it's usually minor, and also usually roleplayed.

QUOTE (deex)

Now, I believe charisma is used for Astral Initiative and is the limit to the amount of spirits you can bind...which leads me to believe your group doesn't foray into the astral all that much or use spirits...

That too, most of us prefer mages to shamans, and very rarely use spirits
Apathy
Personally, I'm a fan of the house rule that give bonues to recoil comp based on strength - it makes it worth investing points in, then. It makes sams and mercs scary as shit, though (especially the ork and troll ones).

(ducks out of sight before someone burns me as a heretic)
Kyoto Kid
...Based on the runs I've participated in, I chose logic

except for some technical skills and Drain for Hermetics...

It doesn't mean a thing for a hacker since the DP is based on Programme rating + applicable skill (Hacking, Electronic Warfare, Data Search)

Knowledge skills are no longer supplementary to active skills as they were in SR3.

Strength on the other hand not only governs DV in melee combat, but also how much crap a character can haul around with them, whether he or she can default on skills like swimming & running (the latter having come into play on quite a number of occasions), and as Apathy mentioned, if you use the HR on Recoil Compensaton.

JonathanC
I'd go with Logic...only Hackers would really need it, and they can pass on it entirely if they put their money into some decent programs. Strength is still necessary for melee attacks. Logic can literally just be replaced with money, with no real ill effects at all.
Glyph
It really depends on the build. For non-fighters or spellslingers, Strength will be the least useful stat. Even some fighter builds are possible with a low Strength (such as an elven gunslinger with a monofilament whip). For non-techies such as shamans (heck, anyone but a rigger, hacker, or technomancer), Logic is not that useful.

But no stat is useless. Even if you don't fight, Strength still determines things like how much you can carry. And Logic is one of the stats that you use to figure out your free starting knowledge skills.
ZenOgre
Voted edge, however like has been said, all depends on character concept. They're all important but you're gonna only want to roll edge or have a pt. availiable for when you realy need to do that one thing to pull your hoop out of the fire.
Grinder
Strength, as only few runners get into unarmed combats.
Lilt
Strength can be largely unnessecary, even for a melee combattant. I am presently playing a character right now who has melee ability (he wields a combat axe with 9 dice) and I didn't bother buying his strength above 1. Okay, so the main reason I have the combat axe is for use in astral combat, but the fact remains that even a melee-capable character doesn't need strength.

Charisma is used in defense against some spirit powers and lots of social situations. Having low/no social skills can leave you highly succeptible to characters with them, as social situations happen even if your character is uncouth with 1 charisma. Uncouth means your character cannot resist an attempt to con you. Think about that before you leave the uncouth troll to guard somewhere. "Excuse me, I need to use the toilet." is probably all the fast-talk they'd need.

Edge is not entierly useless for any character who might find themselves in a combat situation, as it's used in defense against suppressive fire.
James McMurray
How do you carry anything with a strength of 1?
Lilt
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 12 2006, 03:57 PM)
How do you carry anything with a strength of 1?

A Combat Axe weighed 2KG under 3rd edition, I doubt it's gotten heavier. Aside from that I carry clothes, a commlink, and an armored vest. That should all stay under 8KG. If we need to move somethign heavy then I can just levitate it, summon a spirit to carry it, or get the sammie to carry it.
fool
A good thing to have done with this poll is to include none of the above.
All stats are important especially to have a well rounded character.
Samoth
Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage. From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Samoth)
Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage. From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.

Look into hacking then.
Grinder
QUOTE (Lilt)
Strength can be largely unnessecary, even for a melee combattant. I am presently playing a character right now who has melee ability (he wields a combat axe with 9 dice) and I didn't bother buying his strength above 1. Okay, so the main reason I have the combat axe is for use in astral combat, but the fact remains that even a melee-capable character doesn't need strength.

biggrin.gif So your character looks really cool. I imagine a small guy with thin arms carrying large axe.
Shadow
Could he even carry the axe?
Grinder
Maybe. But nothing more wink.gif

"Hey, we're attacked by a naked nerd wielding a battle axe!" biggrin.gif
Samoth
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (Samoth @ Jul 12 2006, 03:07 PM)
Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage.  From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.

Look into hacking then.

Sorry I didn't think to consider this, because I never play that type of character.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Samoth)
Sorry I didn't think to consider this, because I never play that type of character.

Notice that the attributes with the fewest linked skills, Body and Willpower, are the attributes that received the fewest votes. I guess everbody agrees that the Condition Monitors are the most important stat.

Theres the rub. Some stats are important for reasons other than skills, and these reasons affect some archtypes more than others. Imagine a summoner without Charisma, a daredevil without Edge, and an adept low on Magic. Kinda like a Sammie without Body.

Obviously, your choice of character type will influence how you rank the stats. The question is, does the order in which you rank the stats influence your choice of character types?
ornot
Actually I was thinking that Body was one of the less useful ones to buy actual points in, but only because there are a number of ways to substantially increase your body using 'ware and increase your soak pool with armour.

As far as improving your condition monitor, you need to make quite an investment in those traits to make much of a difference due to the +8 bump they both receive.

Still, I null-voted as all stats are important depending on character type. Whoever you are, you're going to have a dump stat, but what precisely that is depends on character.

Of course you all knew that already.
JonathanC
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (Samoth @ Jul 12 2006, 03:07 PM)
Logic is the most usless stat for any character that isn't a Mage.  From my understanding of the rules, it is barely ever used.

Look into hacking then.

Nope. Not even for hackers...any activity you're undertaking using Hacking, Computer, or Electronic Warfare has a program to accomplish it. And if you're using a program to hack, your Logic doesn't come into play at all.

Basically, you can be dumb as a stone and still be a great hacker, if you have the cash.
Samaels Ghost
"Nope. Not even for hackers...any activity you're undertaking using Hacking, Computer, or Electronic Warfare has a program to accomplish it. And if you're using a program to hack, your Logic doesn't come into play at all.

Basically, you can be dumb as a stone and still be a great hacker, if you have the cash. "

Which seems very odd. RAW, but odd.
Lilt
QUOTE (Grinder)

In SR4, a strength of 1 is enough to carry 10KG. Although SR4 gear listings don't include item weight, I doubt anything's going to have become much heavier since SR3. By SR3 standards, I could carry an armored vest, normal clothes with a built-in commlink, a light pistol with ammo, and still having enough carrying capacity to tot 3 combat axes.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
"Nope. Not even for hackers...any activity you're undertaking using Hacking, Computer, or Electronic Warfare has a program to accomplish it. And if you're using a program to hack, your Logic doesn't come into play at all.

Basically, you can be dumb as a stone and still be a great hacker, if you have the cash. "

Which seems very odd. RAW, but odd.

It's already where the hacking "industry" is heading. You don't generally sit there typing in passwords until you hit it, or trying different serial numbers to crack your CD's protection, you use a program someone wrote (sometimes you if you're a serious hacker).
Grinder
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 12 2006, 08:42 PM)

In SR4, a strength of 1 is enough to carry 10KG. Although SR4 gear listings don't include item weight, I doubt anything's going to have become much heavier since SR3. By SR3 standards, I could carry an armored vest, normal clothes with a built-in commlink, a light pistol with ammo, and still having enough carrying capacity to tot 3 combat axes.

Ok, point for you smile.gif But do we agree that a runner with strenght 1 looks not very muscular? (hope that's the right word)
Lilt
QUOTE (Grinder)
Ok, point for you smile.gif But do we agree that a runner with strenght 1 looks not very muscular? (hope that's the right word)

Oh absolutely. In-fact I quite like that fact. He's a very slender, tall, elf. I think his astral form looks similar, and perhaps even more exaggerated. If he was drawn, then it'd be in the style of the agents in the "World Record" story from the Animatrix (he's a corp type, so keep the suit and shades and add a similarly disproportionate axe).
Jrayjoker
I voted Charisma, only two character types need it for much of anything. The face for negotiations, etc. and the mage for conjuring. Strength is a close second for all the previous arguments.
Shrike30
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Basically, you can be dumb as a stone and still be a great hacker, if you have the cash.

Programming your own code will (hopefully) allow people to compensate for some of that... when Unwired comes out, we'll also (hopefully) see some stuff making having at least half a brain useful to hackers nyahnyah.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 12 2006, 05:04 PM)

Programming your own code will (hopefully) allow people to compensate for some of that... when Unwired comes out, we'll also (hopefully) see some stuff making having at least half a brain useful to hackers nyahnyah.gif

Not really...I mean, what would the point be? You can just buy programs at a rating of up to 6, right? And that should hold you until you can buy up your programming skill to make better programs...or just buy a decent Cerebral booster. Remember, it's only 20k nuyen to buy a rating 2 booster (highest you can buy based on the availability cap at char gen)...20k nuyen is only 4 CP...compared to 10CP to buy a single point of Logic.

Likewise, I looked at the price of buying a bunch of rating 5 programs (pretty much every program I wanted)...comes in around 63k. Which is only 13 points (with 2k nuyen to spare, even). Again, compare that to 10cp for a single point of logic. Hackers are better off investing in willpower and intuition, in that order, IMO.

I had considered the math of just investing in a bunch of logic, hacking without programs for a while, and then coding my own programs around rating 7+...but it just doesn't make dollars or sense.
Shrike30
Again, it's largely contingent on the expansion of the hacking rules beyond the BBB. It's the same with every edition of SR... decking was never really well developed without the decker-related books. If we get things like code SOTA, reprogrammable (for special purposes) source code, or any number of other things thrown into the works that would make logical hackers happy, they should display an advantage over the script-kiddie Logic 2 hackers. Until the RAW includes more than just the BBB, we're working with a really stripped-down set of rules intended to let you have a hacker do his stuff.

I don't consider a game "finished" until it's core books are all out. My personal issues with the release schedule aside, I'm aware (as are my players) that when a book for a particular "type" of character comes out, they're probably going to noticeably change, right down to me letting them rebuild a version of that character that takes into account all the new stuff and changes in how things work. Yeah, there's some stats now that are kinda useless, but I'm not going to pass final judgement until we have all of the main game books in the pool.
JonathanC
I was never really all that fond of the add-on rulebooks for Shadowrun...while they were good reads, I found they generally increased the accounting end of the game to the point of being almost unmanageable, especially when it came to making custom equipment and the "extra" rules for minute details.

But of course, your mileage may vary.
Shrike30
Some made more sense than others. Honestly, playing SR2 or SR3 with only the BBB rules in hand didn't do much for me... my players liked more variety. Drones in SR2, if memory served, ate up 1/3 of 1 page, and you weren't actually sure how they worked. Add in (playing SR3) Man and Machine, the Cannon Companion, the SR3 Companion, Virtual Realities 2.0, and Magic in the Shadows, and you had a pretty thoroughly fleshed out game. Rigger 3 added a lot of oddball stuff, but 2/3 of it could be ignored (just like the 1/3 of the stuff in the other books that could be ignored) and the game stayed playable.

If you used every rule out of every addon book, the game got to be a bit much. Happily, I play with a group that's pretty flexible... we say "Yeah, we're just not going to use X rule, treat it like the BBB says" when we encounter something we'd rather not deal with. At worst, a stickit or pencil notation in the book used as a game table reference (or an online changelog, which I've started using) makes this easy for everyone.
Lilt
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Some made more sense than others.  Honestly, playing SR2 or SR3 with only the BBB rules in hand didn't do much for me... my players liked more variety.  Drones in SR2, if memory served, ate up 1/3 of 1 page, and you weren't actually sure how they worked.  Add in (playing SR3) Man and Machine, the Cannon Companion, the SR3 Companion, Virtual Realities 2.0, and Magic in the Shadows, and you had a pretty thoroughly fleshed out game.  Rigger 3 added a lot of oddball stuff, but 2/3 of it could be ignored (just like the 1/3 of the stuff in the other books that could be ignored) and the game stayed playable.

LOL. Yeah. Did anyone actually use the naval combat rules? I once had a count down until some ship (never statted) was in range to hit the building the runners were in (a house-sized boat-shed) with some naval weapons fire, but that was hardly a full use. They got out but were still close enough to feel the shockwaves (albeit not as damage).

Still, without R3 I think riggers were a bit gimped unless the DM was willing to house-rule a larger variety of vehicles in.
Demon_Bob
Trouble with writing your own programs is that the time is listed in months.
Where that may be realistic it essentailly makes writing your programs not possible without a lot of downtime. Just upgrading your hacking 3 to 5 with Logic 7 Software 5 would take a month.

However Logic also affects build and repair skills: opening up that maglock; upgrading your guns or drones, becomes easier.
Shrike30
We can always pray that the programming times are tweaked a little in Unwired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012