IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is your favorite firearm and caliber, Whats caliber firearm do you use??
Hero
post Oct 16 2003, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,996

What is your favorite firearms and what caliber is it chambered for? There are a great many varieties and sizes of ammunition for firearms today, here are a few of the calibers available today: .22LR, 9mm Para, .40 S&W, .440 Magnum, 10mm Auto, .45ACP. There are some new weapons with ammunition designed specifically for them like the P90/Five-seveN which is chambered 5.7x28mm, which has great penetration up to 200 meters. My most favorites amoung firearms is the Steyr AUG, H&K 227, H&K G36, FN P90, FN Five-seveN, and Glock 18 "C".

Steyr AUG: 5.56x45mm NATO
FN P90/Five-seveN: 5.7x30mm
H&K 227: .227HK
H&K G36: 5.56x45/7.62x51mm NATO
Glock 18 "C": 9mm Para

And here is a link to a real helpful page on Rayguns site if you wanted to know what caliber you specific firearm from shadowrun is. Go to the ammunition section of his site, the look for SR Firearm/Cartridge Table on the nav bar, that will get you to the table with the calibers of most SR firearms.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 16 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

My favourite caliber is the rifle bullet, followed closely by the heavy pistol bullet :P

~J

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Oct 16 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Firearms? Over here? Nope, prefer the feel of the good old yew stave. As for ammo, Bodkin, definately bodkin. Teach those oppressive Normans that will.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Oct 16 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

What caliber is a fireball?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 16 2003, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

How about some APDS/Explosive. Armor? k, no worries. Punch through and BOOM! What armor? :D

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Oct 16 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

M1 Garand .30-06 springfield

Colt Delta Elite 10mm auto

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 16 2003, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Hero)
What is your favorite firearms and what caliber is it chambered for? There are a great many varieties and sizes of ammunition for firearms today, here are a few of the calibers available today: .22LR, 9mm Para, .40 S&W, .440 Magnum, 10mm Auto, .45ACP. There are some new weapons with ammunition designed specifically for them like the P90/Five-seveN which is chambered 5.7x28mm, which has great penetration up to 200 meters.

REALLY?? HOLY CRAP!!!!

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Oct 16 2003, 05:28 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

Do i detect a note of sarcasm?

Or was that disbelief?

:spin:

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Oct 16 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

In Shadowrun, based on my current character, I'd have to say my favorite caliber is "heavy machine gun." Nothing like an endless stream of HMG lead to make NPC red shirts dead.

After that, I think I tend to get a lot of mileage out of the "heavy pistol" caliber. I'm not sure if it's a "favorite" caliber, but it's definitely utilitarian.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 16 2003, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

Well, do you mean IRL, or in game? Although for me, the two are pretty close.

IRL, I love my HK USP .45 Compact. I've also fired an MP5/40 and an MP5SD6. Those are great CQB weapons. I've trained with M-16A2s more than I care to think about, but they wouldn't be my first choice to bring into battle. I would MUCH prefer something chambered in 7.62 than 5.56. But that's just personal opinion.

In game, my character totes around a .45 USP Tactical, Ares HVAR for CBQ, and a modified M-23 (chambered for 7.62 w/conversion kit for .300 Whisper rounds <thks to Raygun>) with an AimPoint red dot sight.

IRL, I've always wanted to fire a G36C, Tavor, and UMP (.45 cal). I don't much care for the FN P90 or HK MP7. Sure it will punch through armor, but how many round will you need to take down your target? I'm betting on half a magazine. If you need that kind of penetration in a small package, I'd vote for an M-4 or Tavor.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Oct 16 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Sorry about the link, forgot to put it in well here is the link to Shadowrun and Firearms Ammunition Section.. Just go to SR Firearm/Cartridge Table link to find out the caliber of the firearms in Shadowrun. I like how Raygun worked the rule, but some of the other players in the group dont like them though they complain about them being overly complicated or something to that effect.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Oct 16 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Hero)
I like how Raygun worked the rule, but some of the other players in the group dont like them though they complain about them being overly complicated or something to that effect.

Yeah...I can understand your players' point, even though I've considered "getting detailed" on SR weaponry, too.

Anyway, getting back to your request for favorite calibers...I've never used Raygun's rules before, so I can't really say any of them are my favorites. That leaves me with the default SR "calibers," of which my favorites are "heavy machine gun" and "heavy pistol."

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 16 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

How about some APDS/Explosive.  Armor?  k, no worries.  Punch through and BOOM!  What armor?  :D

You do know there is no such thing as Explosive APDS?

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 16 2003, 08:25 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Not at smallarm calibers anyway.

I have always taken "APDS" with a grain of salt anyway. I think what the ad calls a "discarding sabot" is the thin teflon layer that keeps the milled steel slug from eating your barrel. If it falls away leaving the barrel, then _technically_ it is a discarding sabot... :|

WHether is has a plastic washer, or a copper jacket, it's still just a AP round.

Incidentally, the sabots can cause injury on their own at close range. Tank crews are warned not to fire APDS-type rounds over the heads of friendly troops.

I think it's too granular for purposes of a RPG, but there it is.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 16 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

.303 Enfield

.455 Webley

not particularly quick or pretty but reliable as hell and leathal when they hit.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 16 2003, 09:06 PM
Post #16

I forgot my round,

.308 for Riffle

and .45ACP for pistol

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 16 2003, 09:20 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Interesting trivia -- City of Atlanta PD will be receiving new, standard issue .40 S&W handguns.

-Siege

+Quote Post
vinsane
post Oct 16 2003, 09:29 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 5,652

.75 Recoilless Pistol rounds... Still waiting for Lofwyr to give up the info... :rotfl:

--Stainless Steel Rat Shaman

+Quote Post
otomik
post Oct 16 2003, 09:39 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

.22lr in a Bersa Thunder/Firestorm, very fun 007-style plinker.
.357 SIG in a Beretta 96G
10mm in a Colt Delta Elite, colt management is retarded. jeff cooper should get on CZ's case to make a 10mm (just like the Bren Ten but not a failure business-wise).

There are other forums you might enjoy like The High Road.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 16 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #20

Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

@ Siege a couple of years ago INS commissioned a study that was designed to find the "best" pistol round for federal agents.

The result was a .40 cal, Raygun may be able to shed some light on the whys.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Oct 16 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

I just replaced APDS with AP for the smaller caliber firearms like pistols, SMGs, assault rifles/carbine, and sport/sniper rifles. APDS rounds are generally reserved for the large bore rifle like the .50 BMG and and larger and are actually anti-vhicular by nature, that is where you start to see the HEDP and HEAP stuff. Below are some general rules for HEDP and HEAP rounds for rifles that are chambered for .50 BMG and larger.

Payloads Available:::::::::::::::::: Effect
Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot : APDS
High Explosive :::::::::::::::::::::: (Dual Purpose, Fuzed) See Below
High Explosive Armor Piercing :::: (PIE) See Below
Incendiary :::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Incendiary Rules
Tracer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Tracer rules

High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) Rules
This is an anti-vehicle munition.
+4 Power Rating. Non-hardened body armor has absolutely no effect against this ammunition.
Fuse can be set to avoid detonation on impact, in which case the +4 Power Rating is not in effect, and only kinetic energy is used to damage the target. Use the weapon's base Damage Code. As an additional rule, the GM may roll 2D6. On a result of 2, the round explodes on impact, regardless of whether it was set to or not.
Incendiary and/or tracer effects can be added.

High Explosive Armor Piercing (HEAP) Rules
This is an anti-vehicle munition.
+4 Power. Treat as APDS (x0.5 Armor) against hardened armor targets, including vehicle armor. Non-hardened body armor has absolutely no effect against this ammunition.
Incendiary and/or tracer effects can be added.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Oct 16 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

You know, you just can't go wrong with a .357 magnum round surrounded by 6 of its closest buddies in a modified revolver with a 6-8" barrel (ie, some kind of Warhawk clone). Yep, it's that 7th powerful round in the wheel that really makes a runner stand out in a crowded runner bar.

Of course, ever since I read the stats on the Kahr P & K series in 9mm para and .40 S&W, I have been drooling over them to the point that they are now standard gear for my new runners. So much firepower.... such high conceal....Like a dream that keeps getting better (until you've exhausted the tiny clip, anyhow).

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 16 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (Shadow)
Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

@ Siege a couple of years ago INS commissioned a study that was designed to find the "best" pistol round for federal agents.

The .40 S&W is a happy compromise between the stopping power of the .45 and the controllable recoil of the 9mm.

If I remember my history, it was developed for a State Trooper agency looking for a power compromise between the mankiller .45 and the debatable performance of the 9mm.

Given the local uproar over several police shootings, I'm not sure why the mayor is stepping up the handgun power. Granted, I think it's a step that should have been taken a long time ago but not many politicians are willing to fly in the face of public opinion (misinformed or not) to take such a step.

I may have to go down to the range and try a box of .40 -- I've used a 9mm and I own a .45.

-Siege

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 16 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Oct 16 2003, 09:41 PM)
Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

The .40 S&W is a happy compromise between the stopping power of the .45 and the controllable recoil of the 9mm.

If I remember my history, it was developed for a State Trooper agency looking for a power compromise between the mankiller .45 and the debatable performance of the 9mm.

Given the local uproar over several police shootings, I'm not sure why the mayor is stepping up the handgun power. Granted, I think it's a step that should have been taken a long time ago but not many politicians are willing to fly in the face of public opinion (misinformed or not) to take such a step.

I may have to go down to the range and try a box of .40 -- I've used a 9mm and I own a .45.

-Siege

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the .40 was "invented" as simply an alternative to the 10mm which was being used by the FBI at the time.

The .40 S&W came about in 1990. The FBI was using a sub-loaded version of the 10mm Auto as its standard field cartridge. Smith & Wesson realized that those ballistics could be achieved with a shorter case, allowing for a more comforatable grip in the FBI's issued automatic pistols, which Smith & Wesson also provided.

That's a quote directly from Raygun's site. He does his research, and what I've read coincides with that.

IIRC, it all started with the female agents complaining about the recoil on the 10mm.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 16 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #25

Dragon

I'm not sure what I was smoking -- but everything I've found supports Ray's information.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/sept97s&w40.html

-Siege

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 12:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.