Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is your favorite firearm and caliber
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Hero
What is your favorite firearms and what caliber is it chambered for? There are a great many varieties and sizes of ammunition for firearms today, here are a few of the calibers available today: .22LR, 9mm Para, .40 S&W, .440 Magnum, 10mm Auto, .45ACP. There are some new weapons with ammunition designed specifically for them like the P90/Five-seveN which is chambered 5.7x28mm, which has great penetration up to 200 meters. My most favorites amoung firearms is the Steyr AUG, H&K 227, H&K G36, FN P90, FN Five-seveN, and Glock 18 "C".

Steyr AUG: 5.56x45mm NATO
FN P90/Five-seveN: 5.7x30mm
H&K 227: .227HK
H&K G36: 5.56x45/7.62x51mm NATO
Glock 18 "C": 9mm Para

And here is a link to a real helpful page on Rayguns site if you wanted to know what caliber you specific firearm from shadowrun is. Go to the ammunition section of his site, the look for SR Firearm/Cartridge Table on the nav bar, that will get you to the table with the calibers of most SR firearms.
Kagetenshi
My favourite caliber is the rifle bullet, followed closely by the heavy pistol bullet nyahnyah.gif

~J
BIG BAD BEESTE
Firearms? Over here? Nope, prefer the feel of the good old yew stave. As for ammo, Bodkin, definately bodkin. Teach those oppressive Normans that will.
Spookymonster
What caliber is a fireball?
Tanka
How about some APDS/Explosive. Armor? k, no worries. Punch through and BOOM! What armor? biggrin.gif
Grimtooth
M1 Garand .30-06 springfield

Colt Delta Elite 10mm auto

Backgammon
QUOTE (Hero)
What is your favorite firearms and what caliber is it chambered for? There are a great many varieties and sizes of ammunition for firearms today, here are a few of the calibers available today: .22LR, 9mm Para, .40 S&W, .440 Magnum, 10mm Auto, .45ACP. There are some new weapons with ammunition designed specifically for them like the P90/Five-seveN which is chambered 5.7x28mm, which has great penetration up to 200 meters.

REALLY?? HOLY CRAP!!!!
Grimtooth
Do i detect a note of sarcasm?

Or was that disbelief?

spin.gif
Cray74
In Shadowrun, based on my current character, I'd have to say my favorite caliber is "heavy machine gun." Nothing like an endless stream of HMG lead to make NPC red shirts dead.

After that, I think I tend to get a lot of mileage out of the "heavy pistol" caliber. I'm not sure if it's a "favorite" caliber, but it's definitely utilitarian.
TheOneRonin
Well, do you mean IRL, or in game? Although for me, the two are pretty close.

IRL, I love my HK USP .45 Compact. I've also fired an MP5/40 and an MP5SD6. Those are great CQB weapons. I've trained with M-16A2s more than I care to think about, but they wouldn't be my first choice to bring into battle. I would MUCH prefer something chambered in 7.62 than 5.56. But that's just personal opinion.

In game, my character totes around a .45 USP Tactical, Ares HVAR for CBQ, and a modified M-23 (chambered for 7.62 w/conversion kit for .300 Whisper rounds <thks to Raygun>) with an AimPoint red dot sight.

IRL, I've always wanted to fire a G36C, Tavor, and UMP (.45 cal). I don't much care for the FN P90 or HK MP7. Sure it will punch through armor, but how many round will you need to take down your target? I'm betting on half a magazine. If you need that kind of penetration in a small package, I'd vote for an M-4 or Tavor.
Hero
Sorry about the link, forgot to put it in well here is the link to Shadowrun and Firearms Ammunition Section.. Just go to SR Firearm/Cartridge Table link to find out the caliber of the firearms in Shadowrun. I like how Raygun worked the rule, but some of the other players in the group dont like them though they complain about them being overly complicated or something to that effect.
Cray74
QUOTE (Hero)
I like how Raygun worked the rule, but some of the other players in the group dont like them though they complain about them being overly complicated or something to that effect.

Yeah...I can understand your players' point, even though I've considered "getting detailed" on SR weaponry, too.

Anyway, getting back to your request for favorite calibers...I've never used Raygun's rules before, so I can't really say any of them are my favorites. That leaves me with the default SR "calibers," of which my favorites are "heavy machine gun" and "heavy pistol."
Shadow

How about some APDS/Explosive.  Armor?  k, no worries.  Punch through and BOOM!  What armor?  biggrin.gif

You do know there is no such thing as Explosive APDS?
Ed_209a
Not at smallarm calibers anyway.

I have always taken "APDS" with a grain of salt anyway. I think what the ad calls a "discarding sabot" is the thin teflon layer that keeps the milled steel slug from eating your barrel. If it falls away leaving the barrel, then _technically_ it is a discarding sabot... indifferent.gif

WHether is has a plastic washer, or a copper jacket, it's still just a AP round.

Incidentally, the sabots can cause injury on their own at close range. Tank crews are warned not to fire APDS-type rounds over the heads of friendly troops.

I think it's too granular for purposes of a RPG, but there it is.
Snow_Fox
.303 Enfield

.455 Webley

not particularly quick or pretty but reliable as hell and leathal when they hit.
Shadow
I forgot my round,

.308 for Riffle

and .45ACP for pistol
Siege
Interesting trivia -- City of Atlanta PD will be receiving new, standard issue .40 S&W handguns.

-Siege
vinsane
.75 Recoilless Pistol rounds... Still waiting for Lofwyr to give up the info... rotfl.gif

--Stainless Steel Rat Shaman
otomik
.22lr in a Bersa Thunder/Firestorm, very fun 007-style plinker.
.357 SIG in a Beretta 96G
10mm in a Colt Delta Elite, colt management is retarded. jeff cooper should get on CZ's case to make a 10mm (just like the Bren Ten but not a failure business-wise).

There are other forums you might enjoy like The High Road.
Shadow
Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

@ Siege a couple of years ago INS commissioned a study that was designed to find the "best" pistol round for federal agents.

The result was a .40 cal, Raygun may be able to shed some light on the whys.
Hero
I just replaced APDS with AP for the smaller caliber firearms like pistols, SMGs, assault rifles/carbine, and sport/sniper rifles. APDS rounds are generally reserved for the large bore rifle like the .50 BMG and and larger and are actually anti-vhicular by nature, that is where you start to see the HEDP and HEAP stuff. Below are some general rules for HEDP and HEAP rounds for rifles that are chambered for .50 BMG and larger.

Payloads Available:::::::::::::::::: Effect
Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot : APDS
High Explosive :::::::::::::::::::::: (Dual Purpose, Fuzed) See Below
High Explosive Armor Piercing :::: (PIE) See Below
Incendiary :::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Incendiary Rules
Tracer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Tracer rules

High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) Rules
This is an anti-vehicle munition.
+4 Power Rating. Non-hardened body armor has absolutely no effect against this ammunition.
Fuse can be set to avoid detonation on impact, in which case the +4 Power Rating is not in effect, and only kinetic energy is used to damage the target. Use the weapon's base Damage Code. As an additional rule, the GM may roll 2D6. On a result of 2, the round explodes on impact, regardless of whether it was set to or not.
Incendiary and/or tracer effects can be added.

High Explosive Armor Piercing (HEAP) Rules
This is an anti-vehicle munition.
+4 Power. Treat as APDS (x0.5 Armor) against hardened armor targets, including vehicle armor. Non-hardened body armor has absolutely no effect against this ammunition.
Incendiary and/or tracer effects can be added.
RangerJoe
You know, you just can't go wrong with a .357 magnum round surrounded by 6 of its closest buddies in a modified revolver with a 6-8" barrel (ie, some kind of Warhawk clone). Yep, it's that 7th powerful round in the wheel that really makes a runner stand out in a crowded runner bar.

Of course, ever since I read the stats on the Kahr P & K series in 9mm para and .40 S&W, I have been drooling over them to the point that they are now standard gear for my new runners. So much firepower.... such high conceal....Like a dream that keeps getting better (until you've exhausted the tiny clip, anyhow).
Siege
QUOTE (Shadow)
Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

@ Siege a couple of years ago INS commissioned a study that was designed to find the "best" pistol round for federal agents.

The .40 S&W is a happy compromise between the stopping power of the .45 and the controllable recoil of the 9mm.

If I remember my history, it was developed for a State Trooper agency looking for a power compromise between the mankiller .45 and the debatable performance of the 9mm.

Given the local uproar over several police shootings, I'm not sure why the mayor is stepping up the handgun power. Granted, I think it's a step that should have been taken a long time ago but not many politicians are willing to fly in the face of public opinion (misinformed or not) to take such a step.

I may have to go down to the range and try a box of .40 -- I've used a 9mm and I own a .45.

-Siege
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Oct 16 2003, 09:41 PM)
Nice, Jimmy DeGriz.

The .40 S&W is a happy compromise between the stopping power of the .45 and the controllable recoil of the 9mm.

If I remember my history, it was developed for a State Trooper agency looking for a power compromise between the mankiller .45 and the debatable performance of the 9mm.

Given the local uproar over several police shootings, I'm not sure why the mayor is stepping up the handgun power. Granted, I think it's a step that should have been taken a long time ago but not many politicians are willing to fly in the face of public opinion (misinformed or not) to take such a step.

I may have to go down to the range and try a box of .40 -- I've used a 9mm and I own a .45.

-Siege

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the .40 was "invented" as simply an alternative to the 10mm which was being used by the FBI at the time.

The .40 S&W came about in 1990. The FBI was using a sub-loaded version of the 10mm Auto as its standard field cartridge. Smith & Wesson realized that those ballistics could be achieved with a shorter case, allowing for a more comforatable grip in the FBI's issued automatic pistols, which Smith & Wesson also provided.

That's a quote directly from Raygun's site. He does his research, and what I've read coincides with that.

IIRC, it all started with the female agents complaining about the recoil on the 10mm.
Siege
I'm not sure what I was smoking -- but everything I've found supports Ray's information.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/sept97s&w40.html

-Siege
Raygun
.22 LR from a Colt Woodsman Match Target all day long.

.22 LR (Remington's Game Load 38 HP @ 1280 fps) from a Ruger 10/22 until the Earth has been thoroughly scoured of small rodents who make ranchers angry.

.45 ACP (200 grain XTP @ 950 fps or 230 FMJ ball) from a 1911, USP Tactical or pretty much any full-size .45 that's put together well.

Lots of cheap 7.62x39mm FMJ or JHP (Barnaul preferrably) from an AKM until it gets boring. (Which usually takes around 500 rounds.)

Cheap military surplus 7.62x51mm from a DSA SA58 until the thought of shooting another round either makes you want to vomit or puts you in debt (again).

.303 British from a Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk III* at 400-600 meters with iron sights on targets that look a whole lot bigger when they're closer.

.30-06 (Reminton's 180 grain Swift Scirrocco load) from a Ruger M77 MKII upside a big, tasty looking elk with a massive rack that makes you regret shooting it when you have to pack 130-ish pound quarters God-knows-how-many-miles back to your truck. Kind of a double-edged sword, there.

.243 Winchester (Federal's 100 grain Gameking load) about 200 meters to a Pronghorn, through his right lung, his heart, his left lung and breaking his shoulder on the opposite side so he drops like a sack of potatoes and you don't have to chase him all over creation.

And anything else that looks fun. smile.gif
lodestar
12 guage rifled slugs. nyahnyah.gif
Hero
A shotgun firing a 12 gauge solid slug is not something I would want to be hit with. Do 12 gauge slugs come in different loads like hollow-point, jacketed hollow-points and what not. I can just picture a wound of a hollow-point slug, I would actually start feeling sorry for the poor slag, I would picture that most of the guys innards would be paste in the area hit.

Oh, and here are some of my other favorites.

H&K USP .45ACP Tactical
FN BDA9 9x19mm Para
S&W Model 500/500H .500 Mag
MP5(any variant) 9x19mm Para
Steyr Scout* 7.62x51mm NATO
AMP DSR-1* 7.62x51mm NATO
AI AW50 .50 BMG

*there are multiple calibers for this firearm.
Drain Brain
Walther P99 in .40 with the small 6-volt tactical light, please... wink.gif
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Oct 16 2003, 06:04 PM)
You know, you just can't go wrong with a .357 magnum round surrounded by 6 of its closest buddies in a modified revolver with a 6-8" barrel

Isn't that the "Colt Python?" Just the thing if you're mugged by a killer whale.

I'm surprised a certain friend doesn't like the 9mm Browning hi-power.
Austere Emancipator
The NSV (12.7x108) and the Tarkkuuskivääri-85 (7.62x53R), since those are the only exciting weapons I've ever fired. The loads are FDF standard FMJ in either case.

In SR, it would have to be the HK Avenger minigun in 5.5x40mm Caseless M43.

BTW, ADSL r0x0r. Good to see the firearms-threads haven't gone anywhere while I was away.
Grimtooth
for more things to drool over checkout

gunbroker.com

Go to categories
click firearms modern
select class III/NFA

droool......

HK fmp 21
at only 11k its a steal
to quote the Punisher
"big, bad, and belt fed"
lodestar
QUOTE (Hero)
A shotgun firing a 12 gauge solid slug is not something I would want to be hit with. Do 12 gauge slugs come in different loads like hollow-point, jacketed hollow-points and what not.

They do. Me and a buddy took apart a refrigerator with a Browning Semi-Auto that was loaded with 12 guage hollow point slugs. Entry holes the size of loonies, exit holes the size of pie plates. Nasty kick too, after a mag of them my shoulder hurt for a week. These rounds would probably inflict massive trauma on someone who was wearing modern armor even if they didn't penetrate. Like beating someone with a sledgehammer... eek.gif
Shadow
Well my favorite weapon, even though I have never fired it before is the H&K MSG 90. Oh how I love thee....

MSG-90
Hero
What would the general rules for hollow-point solid slugs should be. I am sure a solid slug hollow-point would have automatic knock down even if it does not wound. I would say the bonus damage from a hollow-point solid slug would be far higher then a normal hollow-point, maybe +6 power to unarmored targets and +3 to armored targets. Cant find my BBB, what is the base TN for a knock down test from being shot?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
.303 Enfield

.455 Webley

Not particularly quick or pretty but reliable as hell and lethal when they hit.

You're not fond of sitting round in muddy holes as well are you? wink.gif
Fresno Bob
20mm break action pistol. Probably wouldn't work in real life, but what the hell?
Zach21035
For the record, a Winchester Platinum Tip HP slug comes in at 2,568 foot-pounds - a 400 grain slug at 1700 feet per second. Though it would probably inflict some massive wound channels, it's only about as powerful as a 7.62x51mm rifle. I'd say nay on the automatic knockdown - it won't knock a guy down any better than a normal slug, maybe worse if he's wearing armor since the impact would be more distributed.

Against unarmored targets - I shudder to think. Given shotguns already high damage codes, you could just use normal hollow-point rules. You're already killing what you're shooting at, why go overboard into munchkinish?

Back on topic - favorite guns. In game, the Browning series (Max-Power or Ultra-Power depending on if I have a smartlink) are my favorite pistols and I normally have characters use AK-97s just because it seems more authentic than toting an Ares Alpha. I shy away from submachine guns simply because my group refuses to adopt Rayguns rules (incidentally, mainly because they don't want to accept reduced damage for using suppressors on their assault rifles) and therefore I'm better off suppressing a rifle.

IRL, I love Remington 700s. Having fired pretty much every model and caliber of these things, I can safely say that I think they're the best off-the-shelf rifle on the market. Unfortunately, I wound up selling my .300, so now I just have the .223. There just aren't any places around here to shoot a larger caliber rifle at.

I don't really like semi-autos, but the AR-15 is an exception to that rule. A friend of mine has a top-of-the line AR-15 carbine and loads of technically illegal 30-round magazines (Damn you, Maryland state legislature! DAMN YOU TO HELL!)

As far as pistols and shotguns - Sig Sauers reign as my favorite pistols, the SigPro series is great. I'm also partial to Berettas, both the 92 and 96 series. The Remington SP-10 is fun but painful to shoot, I like the 870 myself. The synthetic model is nice, and I'm considering having the barrel on mine cut down a tad to make it more handy. Since I never shoot at anything more alive than paper (okay, and some trees) there just isn't the need for the extra power.
AK404
.45 ACP Colt M1911A1 or HK SOCOM

7.62 NATO Whatever, but I'd love to fire a PSG-1.

That's about it, really.
Stonecougar
Well, for RL, I like .45 ACP, .308 Winchester, and 7.62x39mm Russian. In SR, my rigger uses a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70... an uncommon round in the shadows, but if it'll drop a bull bison, it'll certainly take down that goddamn troll...
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Oct 17 2003, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
.303 Enfield

.455 Webley

Not particularly quick or pretty but reliable as hell and lethal when they hit.

You're not fond of sitting round in muddy holes as well are you? wink.gif

She could but she'd bitch about the mud on her clothes for two weeks afterward. rotfl.gif
Req
At the range this weekend I got a chance to try out an AR-15 chambered in 9mm. I've really only fired handguns before but that was a hell of a good time. Outside that I'm partial to the H&K USP45 and Mk. 23. Kimber .45s are also fun; don't feel quite as nice to me as the H&K but then again, what does?
Reaver
Rifle: I still having a thing for the 7.62x54mm (got 2 rifles in that cartridge).
Pistol: Toss up between 9mm (I love my Steyr GB-80) and good ol' .357.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Raygun)
.303 British from a Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk III* at 400-600 meters with iron sights on targets that look a whole lot bigger when they're closer.

I knew i liked you for a reason. With or without the volley sight?

Flakjacket- I have a real interest in the first world war, but my french is not good enough to get everything from french primary sources on it and after Verdun the avowed french plan was to "wait for the Americans."

I've fired a chauchat but I still hold it's a pig of a weapon. If I'm going to shoot, I want something with a bigger clip and a more even feed than a label. that's the Enfiled. Not as graceful, but in all other respects, a superior weapon.

Hot Wheels, your envy of my wardrobe is showing, that's all. nyahnyah.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow Fox)

Without. Mine doesn't have one (it's a MK III*) and I've never used one with a volley sight, though I'd certainly be willing to try. Being that it is a volley sight, it doesn't sound terribly useful unless you've got 10 other guys with them and you're all aiming at something at least the size of a car. In my experience, hitting anything outside of around 800 meters with that rifle takes more luck than skill. wink.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I've fired a chauchat but I still hold it's a pig of a weapon.

Well when even a quick search and skim turns up such glowing write-ups as 'One of the great engineering failures in the history of firearms' and 'the worst machine gun ever issued to any army at any time in history', coupled with your own glowing testimonial... smile.gif
Hot Wheels
Oh god! You've got her going on that gun!

I only envy your shoe trees dear. nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
The sole advantage of the chauchat was it's relatively light weight compared with other period machine guns. It's accuracy was ok when it worked BUT, to save money it had to use lebel bullets, which if you've ever seen them, have a real steep drop off between the bullet and the cartridge, it had to have a crecent shaped magazine, which was not condusive to a clean feed. The most infamous element of the chauchat was the magazine, which was open on the sides. You got it, big open slots. The official story was that this would make it easier to get in and clear the jams created by the lousy feed, but in the field this meant that it was way easy for dirty to get in the action, and everywhere else. On a parade ground it works great but crawling through the mud, it was asking for trouble.

Later in the war, and when the French supplied them to the Americans they tried a different manufacturing proceedure to produce them more quickly and what resulted was an even worse weapon not even likely to be accurate when it did work. (like when the Hotchkiss mg was improved. HA! to the Puteax which didn't improve rate or accuracy and was more prone to over heating.) Some "experts" say they believe the chauchat was a great weapon with which men could do great deed, my belief is that only if it was being used as a club!

The .455 Webley by comparison is a wonderful heavy pistol. In the 1920's the Britsh scaled it down to a .38 caliber that was to fire dum dums. The idea being the dum dums would make up for the smaller charges, but then the Geneva convention declared dum dums illegal and the British had already changed their guns.

The .455 is a great gun for hunting the boche! THe .38? Well, it's better than screaming for help.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Snow Fox)

Without. Mine doesn't have one (it's a MK III*) and I've never used one with a volley sight, though I'd certainly be willing to try. Being that it is a volley sight, it doesn't sound terribly useful unless you've got 10 other guys with them and you're all aiming at something at least the size of a car. In my experience, hitting anything outside of around 800 meters with that rifle takes more luck than skill. wink.gif

The volley sight was used with great effect at Mons and First Ypres by the BEF.
At Mons the germans reported receiving such accurate heavy fire that they believed they were facing massed machine guns. At 1st Ypres when the smoke lifted what was thought ot be a 3rd wave of Prussian Guards forming up for a charge, was seen to be the 2nd wave, dropped where they stood in their ranks.

There is something about the enfield that just looks reliable. The Mauser may be a great gun, a master peice of the gun maker's art and there's an ellegance to the Mannlicher and even the Lebel has some charm, but the Enfield is a wonderful piece.
Raygun
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
The .455 Webley by comparison is a wonderful heavy pistol. In the 1920's the Britsh scaled it down to a .38 caliber that was to fire dum dums. The idea being the dum dums would make up for the smaller charges, but then the Geneva convention declared dum dums illegal and the British had already changed their guns.

"Dum Dums" and all other bullets that "expand or flatten easily in the human body" were banned by the 1899 Hague Convention. The "Dum Dum" bullet was the first reliable expanding rifle bullet, designed for the .303 cartridge by Cpt. Bertie Clay, at the Dumdum Arsenal in India in the mid 1890s, for defense against the Afridi rebels. But back in the day, "Dum Dum" was a generic term used for any expanding bullet.

Enfield manufactured the .380 British pistols (No. 2 Mark 1) beginning in 1927, but they weren't officially adopted until June 2, 1932. The .380 Webley & Scott No. 1 Mark IV came along 10 years later, during WWII. The .380 MkI and MkII cartridges weren't really "Dum Dums". They were lead hollowpoint bullets patented by Thomas Webley in 1897.

They are good old guns, if a bit anemic by today's standards. Neither of them develops more than 220 fpe at the muzzle. Today's standard is around double that.

The volley sight was used with great effect at Mons and First Ypres by the BEF.
At Mons the germans reported receiving such accurate heavy fire that they believed they were facing massed machine guns.

Yeah. Takes a lot of guys with bolt action rifles to fool anyone into thinking they're under machine gun fire. Prior to the days of rifle scopes, firing out to 2,000 meters was just an exercise in area denial. Even with a volley sight, at that distance, you could not see a person as more than a dot, let alone snipe targets with precision. So you get ten or twenty guys, have them set their volley at 2,000 meters and the guys being fired at are going to think that they're under fire from a machine gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012