IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just how smart is a non-great dragon?, animal intelligence? average human?
JonathanC
post Aug 2 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

I've never been to clear on this. I mean, could a normal dragon speak english, or any other language for that matter? I was considering using one as a minor antagonist...sort of a mid-level mastermind, rather than a world-bestriding monster (hence why I don't want to use a great dragon). You know, a manipulative bastard dragon that the players actually have a chance to kill.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Aug 2 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,683

IIRC the antagonist/protagonist (i'm not really clear what he was, since i only skimmed the adventure) of Dragon Hunt (1st ed) was a NON great dragon dragon and schemed enough to hire runners and trick his captors, etc. So, I would say at least human level and probably "bright" human level intelligence.

EDIT: don't all dragons speak through telepathy? I'm too lazy to bust out the book to see whether it says great dragons or all dragons.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 2 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

The regular Dragons are statted as having 8 in Intuition and 8 in Logic, except eastern which have 10. Great Dragons have +5 add on to the base stat. Bottom line all dragons are much smarter than the average human.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 2 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Ah, okay. I just didn't want to feel kinda silly for turning something beastial into some kind of poor man's Jabba the Hutt (which is sort of what I had in mind...a regular Eastern Dragon operating out of some kind of massage/opium parlor).

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Aug 2 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 864

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Ah, okay. I just didn't want to feel kinda silly for turning something beastial into some kind of poor man's Jabba the Hutt (which is sort of what I had in mind...a regular Eastern Dragon operating out of some kind of massage/opium parlor).

You might be thinking of wyverns (which are widely believed, even though none of the dragons are telling, to be juvenile dragons). Ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray, and basically focused on mindless violence and food gathering. An adult Eastern Dragon as a "poor man's Jabba the Hutt" is completely believable (though hopefully not as...er...rotund as ol' Jabba.) :)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 2 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Additionally it's quite possible that the Eastern Dragon in question is capable of enough magic to keep it's true nature hidden from even it's own minions. The dragong could quite likely seem to be just another Triad/Yak/Seoulpa boss running biz, until pushed too far.

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Aug 2 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,981

And Dragons don't have vocal cords that are capable of speaking languages like ours, they ususally speak through telepathy, and sometimes have a servant as their representative. They are capable of understanding any language but like I said they cannot speak them.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 2 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Exodus)
And Dragons don't have vocal cords that are capable of speaking languages like ours, they ususally speak through telepathy, and sometimes have a servant as their representative. They are capable of understanding any language but like I said they cannot speak them.

Well at least not in their true forms.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 2 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Running Target

So they can speak if they take the form of a human? Or would they just look like a human, but still speak through an assistant? That might actually be kinda cool. Though in hindsight, I'm considering using a Western instead of an Eastern dragon.

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Aug 2 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,981

Personally I like Westerns more than Easterns, and yes they can speak in human/metahuman form. Though they rarely take those forms.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Aug 2 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (JonathanC)
So they can speak if they take the form of a human?

Yes.

Many are said to find doing this undignified though.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 2 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 2 2006, 01:40 PM)
So they can speak if they take the form of a human?

Yes.

Many are said to find doing this undignified though.

The older and more traditional ones certainly. If they were hatched by the likes of Alamais or Ghostwalker they probably would follow that mode of thought. However if they were hatched by one of the more "modern" greats like Hestaby or Masaru who seem to follow the line of thought laid out by Dunkelzahn that interaction with Metahumans is necessary and even pleasent they may act differently. All Dragons have a great respect for Tradition, and the ones who adhere to it far outnumber the ones in favor of modernizing their social order.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 2 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

The older and more traditional ones certainly. If they were hatched by the likes of Alamais or Ghostwalker they probably would follow that mode of thought. However if they were hatched by one of the more "modern" greats like Hestaby or Masaru who seem to follow the line of thought laid out by Dunkelzahn that interaction with Metahumans is necessary and even pleasent they may act differently. All Dragons have a great respect for Tradition, and the ones who adhere to it far outnumber the ones in favor of modernizing their social order.

Dragons supposedly tend to be quite independent and make up their own minds regardless of who hatched them. For example Nightsky, a rather metahuman friendly dragon from Earthdawn, was hatched by none other than the isolationist Sirrurg.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 2 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (JonathanC)

well, not to geek out too much, but keep in mind that Jabba was a pretty powerful crime lord. he wasn't an idiot, he just preferred to be a slimy slob than something more urbane. the 'yuck' factor gave him interpersonal power by virtue of the fact that in order to deal with him, people had to lower themselves.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 2 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (JonathanC)

well, not to geek out too much, but keep in mind that Jabba was a pretty powerful crime lord. he wasn't an idiot, he just preferred to be a slimy slob than something more urbane. the 'yuck' factor gave him interpersonal power by virtue of the fact that in order to deal with him, people had to lower themselves.

More importantly, he was an antagonistic mastermind who was killable. He was sort of an appetizer before they went after the entree (the emperor). What I meant by "a poor man's Jabba" was a crimelord ally/potential antagonist with an unpleasant disposition that the players eventually kill (after considerable trouble).

Also, Hutts are, by their nature, fairly slimy things. Not all of them are as unpleasant in their mannerisms as Jabba (who was not even liked among Hutts), but you're not going to see a Hutt sipping a martini and wearing a tuxedo.

+Quote Post
Athanatos
post Apr 23 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 11,228

Um, I believe there are quite a number of canon instances when dragons speak in metahuman form with no difficulty. "Dragons of the Sixth World", and "The Book of Dragons...." both have instances. As for learning/knowing languages, TBoD has a Great Dragon telling a Dwarf that most dragons know quite a number of languages, and some collect them.

As for intelligence? Dragons are typically feared and mistrusted, it isn't all draconic might that keeps them alive.

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Apr 24 2007, 02:24 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

A dragon is in it's shell for 100 years, much of that time it's be taught by the dragon raising it through Dragonspeech. Then they're hatchlings for the next 200 years, being taught by their "parent" dragon. They become animalistic for the next 100 years and effectivly learn nothing. Then the dragon enters a cacoon for about 10 years, I assume the dragon is not learning during this time. So, an adult dragon is learning for at least 230 years, I'd say. If a human lived that long, that would be one smart person. I can only assume that an adult dragon would be pretty smart too. That's the minimum for an adult dragon, it could be 1,000 years old and still an adult.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 24 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #18

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (JonathanC)
So they can speak if they take the form of a human? Or would they just look like a human, but still speak through an assistant? That might actually be kinda cool.

It would be an excellent clue for sharp players to pick up on. The triad boss who always has an assistant standing there speaking on his behalf. Though capable of speaking in metahuman form, a dragon might still prefer to do things properly.

And though it's been answered already, dragons are very intelligent. Dragons might have powerful stats, but their still going to die if someone reasonably competent gets the drop on them with a machine gun. Cunning is what keeps them alive. I have one in my game who works as a management consultant for the megacorps!

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Apr 24 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

One thing I've made pretty clear to my players, especially when just discussing setting (rather than playing), is that dragons are better than you. That's just how it is. And I think most people in the world would know that (whether or not they're willing to admit it). All dragons are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter and have greater magical power than pretty much anyone who isn't a dragon or a very powerful free spirit. A dull-witted dragon (say, Logic 6 instead of 8 ) is still smarter than most humans.

"Never cut a deal with a dragon," indeed.

+Quote Post
Fezig
post Apr 24 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,168

Dragons are undoubtedly the ultimate movers and shakers. It would be kind of interesting if you took your Jabba idea and ran with it, a cunning mobster running out of an opium bar is always a solid route. I also agree that the speaking through an interpreter or perhaps simply never meeting them in person except the glimpse him in human form leaving a room or behind a closing door would drop hints that all isn't normal. Eventually when they meet him they can confirm all suspicions.

And yes, an RPG to the head is a legit response to a dragon.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Apr 24 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #21

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (knasser)

And though it's been answered already, dragons are very intelligent. Dragons might have powerful stats, but their still going to die if someone reasonably competent gets the drop on them with a machine gun.

ha. a few machine guns. and fifty pounds of c12. and a few LAWs.

shit. just save time and use a thor shot.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 24 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #22

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 24 2007, 08:22 AM)

And though it's been answered already, dragons are very intelligent. Dragons might have powerful stats, but their still going to die if someone reasonably competent gets the drop on them with a machine gun.

ha. a few machine guns. and fifty pounds of c12. and a few LAWs.

Run the numbers yourself. One samurai, one LMG, one prepared ambush - dragon dies.

This isn't D&D. A starting character can kill a dragon quite easily. Just like even powerful characters can be brought down by standard goons. That's what makes Shadowrun a game of cunning and treachery and why knowing you can trust someone is so valuable. The problem with dragons isn't physical power. It's that they're better at playing the treachery game than you.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 24 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (knasser)
The problem with dragons isn't physical power.

One can completely agree with this, as I do, and still think that an LMG posing a serious threat to the well-being of a dragon is stupid.

Admittedly, LMGs and EX-Ex or APDS being instakill vs. (non-great, non-magically enhanced) dragons is canon in SR, at least in SR3.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Apr 24 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

An important thing to keep in mind with running a dragon is their naturally vast lifespan. This means that they take the time to think everything through, plan for multiple contingencies, and tend to have multi-layered plots. A good analogy would be a chess grandmaster as opposed to Jabba the Hutt.

'Course this all depends on the personality of the dragon. Some may prefer to just burn down the occasional village and eat the occasional maiden...

+Quote Post
MadHamish
post Apr 24 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Target

From: Boise, Idaho: A future focal point of Sixth World interests.
Member No.: 11,267

The problem with dealing with dragons is that a great dragon is about as far beyond the bad-assery of a normal dragon as that dragon is beyond an average meta/human, and half the time you take on a dragon you're not going to know you have to punch your GM in the face until the RPG bounces off of it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.