Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crash of '64 questions
innocentsinner
post Aug 16 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,109

From what I recall, the crash of '64 was eventually followed by the Wireless Matrix, which was coincidentally already in the works. I'm trying to work on my technomancer's story, but I don't completely understand what's going on, as this also happens to be my first foray into the Shadowrun world.

If she was trapped in the Matrix in '64 during the crash, emerging a couple days later with technomancer abilities, how would she find out? How popular is wireless technology at this time, if the Matrix is down? I currently have her finding out her powers by accidentally entering a hospital's private wireless network.

How long did it take for the Wireless Matrix to become set up? Or, more what I'm looking for, what other opportunities to use her powers would she have in the time between? Are there really enough private wireless networks that aren't part of the Matrix proper, or am I just completely off track? Any clarification would be wonderful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 16 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

system failure my be a good book to start with.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 16 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

while hobgoblin's response was short, it might be your best advice. System Failure is the SR3 book that introduces the crash of '64 and the subsequent rise of the Wireless Matrix.

In short, however, the Wireless Matrix Initiative was already begun prior to the crash. There's some information on it in Shadows of Europe and Shadows of Asia. Specifically, Stokholm (IIRC) and Tokyo were mostly wireless at the time of the crash. Thus, since the system was already somewhat tested, the adoption of the wireless matrix in other portions of the world was relatively quick.

As for her powers in between the old matrix and the adoption of the wireless one, perhaps you could have her suffer frequent headaches (lack of connection) or feel depressed and lonely for no apparent reason. Explain this as the physiological effects of the lack of a matrix for her to interact with and then, once the matrix came online in her area, those symptoms go away. She may not even connect the dots right away, either.

Also, if you want to, System Failure is available in PDF format from the usual SR PDF distributors.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 16 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

If she was trapped in the Matrix in '64 during the crash, emerging a couple days later with technomancer abilities, how would she find out? How popular is wireless technology at this time, if the Matrix is down? I currently have her finding out her powers by accidentally entering a hospital's private wireless network.

If the elevator door NEVER closes before you can get there, you might be a technomancer.

If the music song you can't seem to get out of your head, turns out to be playing on the local radio, you might be a technomancer.

If while walking across a street, the street tells you that the expressway is jammed and the fastest way to Yogi's Funpark is by taking Lexington and Fourth then you might be a technomancer.

If when you look at a drone, the words "username and password" pop into your head then you might be a technomancer.

If your dreams are plagued with mystery people popping up and then apologizing for getting the wrong number then you might be a technomancer.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Aug 16 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

I tried to play a Technomancer, but found them too limited in RL, but that's just me. :spin:

Beforehand I was a fundamental noob, and I found System Failure to be a good place to start. However, it's important to note that otaku are fairly different from TMs in that most otaku were created by AI and have some sort of allegiance to that AI. And, of course, if you're otaku you don't get bombarded by the Matrix by walking around. We don't know anything about TM culture, I've even had a few discussions on the board here regarding whether or not there are enough TMs to form a culture or if they even would.

I also read the Renraku Arcology book, it's a good lead-up to System Crash in that it details the creation of otaku by the late great AIs. I always assumed that all TMs have at least some connection or at least knowledge of Deep Resonance, which is a mysterious phenomenon that has no real influence apart from ideology.

I'd say that most TMs figure out their powers by interaction with a set of arrows in a local establishment that is the first to have AR. AR by its nature is on the street. Imagine walking down the street and suddenly perceiving the merchandise of an entire store as you enter the range of the network.

Experiencing traffic from an institutional node might be possible, but you have to realize that then you'd be requiring a Sniffer complex form for your TM. More than likely the first TM experience is with AR spam or advertisements.

+Quote Post
innocentsinner
post Aug 16 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 9,109

Thanks, I'll pick up System Failure, and also read up a bit more on the differences between the Matrix, the Wired Matrix, AR, etc..

+Quote Post
Warmaster Lah
post Aug 17 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,072

Is there any indication that TM's propagate?

I know that new Otakus keep popping up but are TMs able to do so yet. (Heck is this vague for a reason?)

Shouldn't there still be Otakus around? Would the wireless Matrix inhibit them if they just used a regular Comm for connection?

I am not familiar with the info too much.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Aug 17 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
Is there any indication that TM's propagate?

I know that new Otakus keep popping up but are TMs able to do so yet. (Heck is this vague for a reason?)

Shouldn't there still be Otakus around? Would the wireless Matrix inhibit them if they just used a regular Comm for connection?

I am not familiar with the info too much.

There's just nothing on it yet. I don't know how much fluff will be contained in Emergence, so we'll probably have to wait for Unwired. Right now, TMs aren't much more than rules.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 17 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

runner havens has at least a couple references to TM gangs/tribes that i've noticed... i doubt i could track down the exact references, and i haven't read the whole thing yet, but in any event it seems that at least some TMs form tribes, possibly much like the otaku (though it really is quite hard to say... maybe they're more like initiatory groups).

of course, this would help a whole lot more if i was more familiar with the rules/fluff for otaku... i really feel as if i must have missed the supplement where it's all detailed, because mostly what i know is from stuff like brainscan, arcology shutdown, and threats 2, where they don't seem to explain it so much as just having it in there and you get a vague glimpse of fluff every so often it seems...

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Aug 17 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jaid)
runner havens has at least a couple references to TM gangs/tribes that i've noticed... i doubt i could track down the exact references, and i haven't read the whole thing yet, but in any event it seems that at least some TMs form tribes, possibly much like the otaku (though it really is quite hard to say... maybe they're more like initiatory groups).

of course, this would help a whole lot more if i was more familiar with the rules/fluff for otaku... i really feel as if i must have missed the supplement where it's all detailed, because mostly what i know is from stuff like brainscan, arcology shutdown, and threats 2, where they don't seem to explain it so much as just having it in there and you get a vague glimpse of fluff every so often it seems...

God, LOVE that pdf search feature.

Yeah, there's a Hong Kong gang that's rumored to be TMs. Also, there's that piece by Puck on pages 58-59 detailing some kind of TM monkish ceremony where they are awakening sprites or AI or something. It's deliberately convoluted and Puck's legitimacy as a source is questioned by a lot of posters.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 17 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Gee, I can't imagine why.

August 2065, BTW. In Seattle When the first parts of the wireless Matrix go online in Seattle as part of a beta-testing program.

At least, that's what happened in System Failure.

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 17 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (Jaid)

The first referance to the Otaku came in the Denver sourcebook. Some very interesting tidbits in that book, even if you don't care about the mile high city.

The large write-up, including rules for Otaku PCs, occured in Virtual Realities 2.0. The opening art piece for the chapter (a street urchin floating in the air and reaching out toward a geometric solid, an old and abused teddy bear laying on the ground forgotten behind her) is one of the better bits of SR art.

+Quote Post
Warmaster Lah
post Aug 17 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,072

Regarding my second question. Old School Otaku are still around right?

TM / Otaku interaction. That could prove interesting if they didn't get along.

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Aug 17 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

Didn't the Otaku either become Technos or Fade?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 17 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Well, many TMs are children having been born that way. But it's not entirely certain what happened to Otaku or people with cyber since the sample TM in SR4 has no cyber and yet is an adult (i.e., how the fuck did they turn into a TM?). So, unless the TM process ejected all cyber from their bodies (not completely without precedent in SR fiction for magic to do that to people), it's a crap shoot. For all I know people just collapsed on the street while they were minding their own business, and when they came to they had magic radio brains.

+Quote Post
cybertrucker
post Aug 17 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 9,131

Wireless was introduced long before 64... currently as I speak i am coming to you live from Verizon's Broadband National Network. Ohh and I have AR goggles I game with. LOL

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 17 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #17

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Good for you.

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Aug 17 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

Hmmm, it's almost as if real world advances directly affected the imaginary, alternate timeline of SR. How could something like that happen? *snicker*

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 18 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2006, 02:51 PM)
Well, many TMs are children having been born that way. But it's not entirely certain what happened to Otaku or people with cyber since the sample TM in SR4 has no cyber and yet is an adult (i.e., how the fuck did they turn into a TM?). So, unless the TM process ejected all cyber from their bodies (not completely without precedent in SR fiction for magic to do that to people), it's a crap shoot. For all I know people just collapsed on the street while they were minding their own business, and when they came to they had magic radio brains.

Some of the folks that were trapped in the Boston Stock Exchange walked away with Technomantic powers. In fact, the intro fiction to the Wireless World section of the Holy Book refers to this. Why someone without cyber didn't just get their trodes pulled off in those cases is anyone's guess.

Also keep in mind the time leap. It is entirely possible for the "first generation" Otaku (or those with untapped Otaku talent, assuming both occur at the same time) to be adults now. Even some Otaku that didn't Fade would now be over 21.

I'm inclined to believe the talent for Technomancy also expressed itself randomly as the Wireless Matrix came up, but that's simply my GMly inclination and not supported by the fiction.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 18 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Well, I was just thinking that maybe it wasn't just people stuck in the stock exchange. As the whole thing comes down, people get trapped while trying to frantically save information. The survivors wake up a little brain-fried after the trodes are pulled off and discover a whole new world. Probably melted the "magical potential" button in the "on" position while turning on the "otaku" switch.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 18 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i imagine they will have some way for more technomancers to be made. they don't seem like they were intended to all have been created from that one event to me.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 18 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #22

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Conskill @ Aug 17 2006, 06:13 PM)
Also keep in mind the time leap.  It is entirely possible for the "first generation" Otaku (or those with untapped Otaku talent, assuming both occur at the same time) to be adults now.  Even some Otaku that didn't Fade would now be over 21.

Uh... Sure. But the oldest guaranteed cyberless Technomancer should only be... five.

Makes me wonder how the adult TM sample char got their abilities.

Actually, all of the first-gen Otaku should be over 21-the ones who first appeared in 2054/55. The second-gen Otaku (including the kids of some otaku) would also be approaching 21.

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 18 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

"Guranteed cyberless?" Well, sure, because the number of five year olds with cyberware (outside the Renraku Arcology) approaches 0%.

There is a segment of the population out there that just happen to not have a hole drilled in their heads. Of that segment, some might have been connected during the Crash with trodes, some might have been exposed to gamma rays, bitten by radioactive spiders, listened to Celine Dion's head in a jar, or whatever other voodoo was involved. They became the 6 Essence Technomancers.

I guess I don't see the problem you have with the concept. I'll agree that most every Technomancer should include a datajack just due to their ubiquitous nature, but it's not like every single metahuman on the planet gets one installed when they turn 18. It's reasonable to assume a small section of the TM population are from both the "never got a datajack" and "got picked by God to be TMs" populations.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 18 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Plus, there are those, even today, who fear technology. Add in religious reasons for not getting tech implanted, sensitive systems, and all kinds of other potential reasons why a person might not get cyberwear. Yeah, there's a lot of cyber out there, but since the average person doesn't understand it, I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of the population lacks implants.

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Aug 18 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

Barring some kind of extreme handicap in a child (such as blindness or an amputated limb), I don't believe that many parents would want their children cybered at a young age. Not only would the cost of having to replace cyberware as children outgrew them pose a financial nightmare to all but the very rich, the risk of destroying a child's magical ability before he or she can be tested would probably discourage most. Therefore, you'd probably expect that most people would remain cyber-free until they reach adulthood. Between all these kids who were too young to be cybered and the adults who chose not to get cybered ("I don't care how useful a datajack is, I'm not gonna let you cut me open!"), there's lots of potential TMs out there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.