Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pimp my Hacker, Yes, yet another character critique
JonathanC
post Aug 24 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

The background (apologies, I cribbed the format from others on the board 'cause I liked it)

[ Spoiler ]

And now, the stats:

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 24 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

For what it's worth, I don't think there's any point in putting any part of this post behind spoiler tags. What's it spoiling?

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Aug 24 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

QUOTE (Adam)
For what it's worth, I don't think there's any point in putting any part of this post behind spoiler tags. What's it spoiling?

Well my guess would be perhaps other in his game play here... and might be making it easier for them not to accidently read...

Although it does make it easier to read what would be a very long post, since it becomes collapsible.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 24 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #4

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I think people mostly use spoiler tags for characters to just neaten up the page a bit -- collapsability is fun and handy.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 24 2006, 06:14 AM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Adam)

It makes the post look cleaner. I hate looking at one gigantic, long-ass post at once. :)

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Aug 24 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

first of all.... looks like you grabbed a couple of skill groups. is that how you bought them? if not kick one skill up to 5 or 6 right now.

attributes, im only seeing 19 of a posible 20. edge does not count against the bp limit for atributes remember.

having a gun with ONLY EXEX ammo is a BAD idea. you will be much better off to grab a mix of cheaper ammo (regular and gel, for instance). a silencer would also be a good idea, as you seem to like the idea of stealth.

its possible to start with firewall 6. and its a good idea to get your probrams and OS at 6: one, you could get to 6 response with a light load and the right program. plus your going to upgrade hardware eventualy, and that will save you a lot of cash long-run. sure its going to be down to 5 or 4 most the time, but its worth it.

consider grabbing a few basic micro-sensors. some can be very usefull to have.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 24 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Get an implanted Commlink. Those additional 2K¥ are well-invested.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 24 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Looks great to me. Very likable character judging from that background conversation. It's just one thing... what's up with the name? Oily sounds pretty gross.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 24 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Well-rounded character, I like him.

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Aug 24 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,458

*coughyoucoughmeancoughhercough*

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Aug 24 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Why not buy all programms on rating 6? You will have to buy them anyway . . . By stopping at 5 you are throwing money out of the window.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 24 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Because buying them at 6 is a waste of money as well if you can't use them at 6.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 24 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #13

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Lazerface)
*coughyoucoughmeancoughhercough*

Him, her, it - doesn't matter in the Matrix. :D

+Quote Post
silhouette
post Aug 24 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 9,146

The point is if you get them all at 6 then as soon as your response is increased to 6 all your programs work at 6.

If you buy them at 5 you have to increase your response to 6 and then buy every single program at 6 again, wasting all the level 5 costs.

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Aug 24 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,458

QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 24 2006, 08:26 AM)

Him, her, it - doesn't matter in the Matrix.

Unlike with yer internet. Ain't technology grand?

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 24 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Increasing your response means you're still using them at 5. You have to increase both response and system. And then you worry about whether or not the programs will run at capacity.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 24 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #17

Running Target

You can't buy a response of 6 at character generation, because the availability is higher than 12. As for why I didnt' spend more on attributes...well, I ran out of money. Ditto for the implanted commlink. I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money. Hopping into a chopshop every time you want to upgrade your commlink seemed a bit inconvenient to me to say the least. Thanks for the advice though.

I did buy them as skill groups, which meant those skills were capped at 4. I suppose I could have bought hacking up, but I think that's a decent dice pool to start with, and is appropriate for a hacker who has kind of eased into Shadowrunning from a young age, but hasn't done anything too serious yet.

I will reconsider the name, though I always thought Oily seemed like a good name for a hacker (either that or an infiltrator).

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Aug 24 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Minor points:

1) Buy some Gear! You've got Infiltration and no gear associated with it, not that is a big deal but might save you some time when it's at a premium.

2) Buy some Agents! Handy little programs to have in your back pocket, plus if you break the Copy-protection you can xerox them into infinity.

3) Buy a Bike! You have drones, but no personal transportation. Drop a few progs to raise some cash.

4) Buy more fake SINs! One fake ID is rough. I'd consider a few more SINs and fake Licenses for your weapons, programs, etc.

Not a bad attempt, but most Hackers start looking the same. :cyber:

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 24 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #19

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (JonathanC)
I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money.

Because it is, literally, the best thing since sliced bread. ;)

It never gets lost, is hard to detect and integrates hardwired into the rest of your cyberware.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Aug 24 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 06:28 PM)
I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money.

It never gets lost, is hard to detect and integrates hardwired into the rest of your cyberware.

Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink? Not to mention you're going to set off more metal detectors. And since commlinks are legal, having your's detected doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I admit it's nice to have one that can't be easily taken or lost, but when I weighed it against the inconveniences (I mean, I'm seriously upgrading that response the first chance I get), it just doesn't seem worth it. Granted, we don't have rules for surgery downtime yet, but that's eventually going to be a pain in the ass.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Aug 24 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 24 2006, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 06:28 PM)

I've never seen the alure either. It's just nice flavor. I mean, how are you going to lose your commlink? Does your GM really make you do a perception check every morning to find it or something? 50Y skinlinks can make your cyber hardwired, and commlinks are so small anyway that the only time you have to worry about them being detected is through the Matrix.

OP,

I'd switch the synaptic for wired 1 (or 2) and use the extra points elsewhere. You're not exactly hurting for essence. You should also get some vision and hearing enhancement. An extra 3 dice on perception checks can make a huge difference.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 24 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #22

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink?

As easy as if it is skinlinked or connected wirelessly or via datajack - but you can mute everything and still operate internally.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Not to mention you're going to set off more metal detectors.

Cyberware scanners only - which you will anyway.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
And since commlinks are legal, having your's detected doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

That really depends on the situation. It is usually better to carry a cheap one around, too - and people carrying two commlinks are not that usual.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
I mean, how are you going to lose your commlink?

Glitches are bitches. ;)

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 24 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink?

All cyberware has wireless capablity. This may be turned on or off as needed. If it is on, the best defense is to subscribe it to your PAN, to get the benefit of the hub's firewall. Having a commlink implant does not make it any easier for you to be hacked.

In fact, by having it, even if your external commlink is taken, your internal one can serve as your PAN hub, meaning you still get the advantage of the decent Firewall rating instead of the lower Device Rating based firewalls of your other implants.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Aug 24 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

Glitch from what?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 24 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Glitch from what?

Combat, Athlectics, etc. External gear is always more likely to get lost, damaged or caught in the wrong moment.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.