Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pimp my Hacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JonathanC
The background (apologies, I cribbed the format from others on the board 'cause I liked it)

[ Spoiler ]

And now, the stats:

[ Spoiler ]
Adam
For what it's worth, I don't think there's any point in putting any part of this post behind spoiler tags. What's it spoiling?
laughingowl
QUOTE (Adam)
For what it's worth, I don't think there's any point in putting any part of this post behind spoiler tags. What's it spoiling?

Well my guess would be perhaps other in his game play here... and might be making it easier for them not to accidently read...

Although it does make it easier to read what would be a very long post, since it becomes collapsible.
Critias
I think people mostly use spoiler tags for characters to just neaten up the page a bit -- collapsability is fun and handy.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Adam)

It makes the post look cleaner. I hate looking at one gigantic, long-ass post at once. smile.gif
Teulisch
first of all.... looks like you grabbed a couple of skill groups. is that how you bought them? if not kick one skill up to 5 or 6 right now.

attributes, im only seeing 19 of a posible 20. edge does not count against the bp limit for atributes remember.

having a gun with ONLY EXEX ammo is a BAD idea. you will be much better off to grab a mix of cheaper ammo (regular and gel, for instance). a silencer would also be a good idea, as you seem to like the idea of stealth.

its possible to start with firewall 6. and its a good idea to get your probrams and OS at 6: one, you could get to 6 response with a light load and the right program. plus your going to upgrade hardware eventualy, and that will save you a lot of cash long-run. sure its going to be down to 5 or 4 most the time, but its worth it.

consider grabbing a few basic micro-sensors. some can be very usefull to have.
Rotbart van Dainig
Get an implanted Commlink. Those additional 2K¥ are well-invested.
mintcar
Looks great to me. Very likable character judging from that background conversation. It's just one thing... what's up with the name? Oily sounds pretty gross.
Grinder
Well-rounded character, I like him.
Lazerface
*coughyoucoughmeancoughhercough*
Serbitar
Why not buy all programms on rating 6? You will have to buy them anyway . . . By stopping at 5 you are throwing money out of the window.
LilithTaveril
Because buying them at 6 is a waste of money as well if you can't use them at 6.
Grinder
QUOTE (Lazerface)
*coughyoucoughmeancoughhercough*

Him, her, it - doesn't matter in the Matrix. biggrin.gif
silhouette
The point is if you get them all at 6 then as soon as your response is increased to 6 all your programs work at 6.

If you buy them at 5 you have to increase your response to 6 and then buy every single program at 6 again, wasting all the level 5 costs.
Lazerface
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 24 2006, 08:26 AM)

Him, her, it - doesn't matter in the Matrix.

Unlike with yer internet. Ain't technology grand?
LilithTaveril
Increasing your response means you're still using them at 5. You have to increase both response and system. And then you worry about whether or not the programs will run at capacity.
JonathanC
You can't buy a response of 6 at character generation, because the availability is higher than 12. As for why I didnt' spend more on attributes...well, I ran out of money. Ditto for the implanted commlink. I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money. Hopping into a chopshop every time you want to upgrade your commlink seemed a bit inconvenient to me to say the least. Thanks for the advice though.

I did buy them as skill groups, which meant those skills were capped at 4. I suppose I could have bought hacking up, but I think that's a decent dice pool to start with, and is appropriate for a hacker who has kind of eased into Shadowrunning from a young age, but hasn't done anything too serious yet.

I will reconsider the name, though I always thought Oily seemed like a good name for a hacker (either that or an infiltrator).
GrinderTheTroll
Minor points:

1) Buy some Gear! You've got Infiltration and no gear associated with it, not that is a big deal but might save you some time when it's at a premium.

2) Buy some Agents! Handy little programs to have in your back pocket, plus if you break the Copy-protection you can xerox them into infinity.

3) Buy a Bike! You have drones, but no personal transportation. Drop a few progs to raise some cash.

4) Buy more fake SINs! One fake ID is rough. I'd consider a few more SINs and fake Licenses for your weapons, programs, etc.

Not a bad attempt, but most Hackers start looking the same. cyber.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money.

Because it is, literally, the best thing since sliced bread. wink.gif

It never gets lost, is hard to detect and integrates hardwired into the rest of your cyberware.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 06:28 PM)
I also couldn't figure out why I'd want to spend extra cash and essence on having a computer inside of me, especially since I'd be upgrading it (response and probably signal too) as soon as I got some money.

It never gets lost, is hard to detect and integrates hardwired into the rest of your cyberware.

Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink? Not to mention you're going to set off more metal detectors. And since commlinks are legal, having your's detected doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I admit it's nice to have one that can't be easily taken or lost, but when I weighed it against the inconveniences (I mean, I'm seriously upgrading that response the first chance I get), it just doesn't seem worth it. Granted, we don't have rules for surgery downtime yet, but that's eventually going to be a pain in the ass.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 24 2006, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 06:28 PM)

I've never seen the alure either. It's just nice flavor. I mean, how are you going to lose your commlink? Does your GM really make you do a perception check every morning to find it or something? 50Y skinlinks can make your cyber hardwired, and commlinks are so small anyway that the only time you have to worry about them being detected is through the Matrix.

OP,

I'd switch the synaptic for wired 1 (or 2) and use the extra points elsewhere. You're not exactly hurting for essence. You should also get some vision and hearing enhancement. An extra 3 dice on perception checks can make a huge difference.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink?

As easy as if it is skinlinked or connected wirelessly or via datajack - but you can mute everything and still operate internally.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Not to mention you're going to set off more metal detectors.

Cyberware scanners only - which you will anyway.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
And since commlinks are legal, having your's detected doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

That really depends on the situation. It is usually better to carry a cheap one around, too - and people carrying two commlinks are not that usual.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
I mean, how are you going to lose your commlink?

Glitches are bitches. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Err...wouldn't that make it easier for someone to hack your cyberware via the commlink?

All cyberware has wireless capablity. This may be turned on or off as needed. If it is on, the best defense is to subscribe it to your PAN, to get the benefit of the hub's firewall. Having a commlink implant does not make it any easier for you to be hacked.

In fact, by having it, even if your external commlink is taken, your internal one can serve as your PAN hub, meaning you still get the advantage of the decent Firewall rating instead of the lower Device Rating based firewalls of your other implants.
ShadowDragon
Glitch from what?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Glitch from what?

Combat, Athlectics, etc. External gear is always more likely to get lost, damaged or caught in the wrong moment.
JonathanC
Still, what about upgrading the thing? Who wants to have invasive surgery everytime they upgrade their computer? smile.gif

I probably will go for wireless to free up some points.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Still, what about upgrading the thing? Who wants to have invasive surgery everytime they upgrade their computer?

By 2070, that probably involves an ambulant stop at the BodyShop and getting some nanites injected that do all the work within one hour.
lorechaser
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 09:12 PM)
Still, what about upgrading the thing? Who wants to have invasive surgery everytime they upgrade their computer?

By 2070, that probably involves an ambulant stop at the BodyShop and getting some nanites injected that do all the work within one hour.

Or the pizza is free!

No, wait.
JonathanC
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 09:12 PM)

Well, the flavor text about cyberware still includes street docs and having to worry about whether you're going to wake up from surgery or wind up being sold for spare parts to Tamanous, so...I'm guessing it's still a concern. eek.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Well, the flavor text about cyberware still includes street docs and having to worry about whether you're going to wake up from surgery or wind up being sold for spare parts to Tamanous, so...I'm guessing it's still a concern. eek.gif

For those not being able to afford legitimate medical attention, sure. wink.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 09:41 PM)
Well, the flavor text about cyberware still includes street docs and having to worry about whether you're going to wake up from surgery or wind up being sold for spare parts to Tamanous, so...I'm guessing it's still a concern.  eek.gif

For those not being able to afford legitimate medical attention, sure. wink.gif

Would you really want to see a legitimate doctor to have an excessively powerful commlink loaded with illegal software implanted in your body? Especially if you're a wanted criminal operating under several assumed names? biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Would you really want to see a legitimate doctor to have an excessively powerful commlink loaded with illegal software implanted in your body?

Of course not - I want the most powerfull commlink on the market to play all my favorite games in full details at the same time.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Especially if you're a wanted criminal operating under several assumed names?

What criminal? See, my SIN says I'm a straight citizen with too much money on my hands... and a good lawyer, so don't even think of breaking the no-tissue-retention paragraphs.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Still, what about upgrading the thing? Who wants to have invasive surgery everytime they upgrade their computer? smile.gif

I probably will go for wireless to free up some points.

There is mention that most headware is constructed with nano-surgery and therefore non-invasive.
FanGirl
Let's not forget that, if a goon really wants to get a implanted commlink, he can get it - but then his drycleaning bill would be astronomical. vegm.gif
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Glitch from what?

Combat, Athlectics, etc. External gear is always more likely to get lost, damaged or caught in the wrong moment.

Ya know that's a good idea. I never really thought of glitch penalties like that.
Wasabi
QUOTE (silhouette)
The point is if you get them all at 6 then as soon as your response is increased to 6 all your programs work at 6.

If you buy them at 5 you have to increase your response to 6 and then buy every single program at 6 again, wasting all the level 5 costs.

If you successfully load a Reality Filter program (has to be done per node you visit and is resisted by the node) then the +1 Response would then allow a starting-maxed-out commlink to run all the rating 6 programs at 6. If you fail, load it again and hope no nasty IC is stalking you.

Plus, once you crack the programs your agents can use it too and get a tasty +1 Response and be better as either attack programs or overload them with apps and have very diverse Agents that are still 4's across the board after they lose 1 Reaction from having 7 programs loaded inside themselves.

smile.gif
JonathanC
You know, I've been thinking...perhaps I don't really need to spend money on wired reflexes OR synaptic boosters. I mean, I can always ride one of the drones in hot-sim mode for extra initiative passes, or just control them via AR, where they'll have 3 passes anyway. What do you think?
Serbitar
QUOTE (JonathanC)
You can't buy a response of 6 at character generation, because the availability is higher than 12.

So what? Buy them at 6, and they will run as programm 5 till you get 6 bth in response and system . . .
JonathanC
After considering everyone's advice, here's what I came up with. The essence came in just bit lower than I would have liked, but I think it's worth it for having the 3 initiative passes. Plus, for the rebellious kid of two anti-tech hippies, going down to about 3 essence kind of makes sense. As always, comments are welcome:

Codename: Oily (also known as Seven.Day.Weekend)
Real Name: Saturday Sunshine Adams (her parents are neo-hippies. Oily takes great pains to prevent anyone from learning her real name, as much out of embarassment as for security reasons.)

Metatype : Human
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 3
Strength: 2
Charisma: 3
Intuition: 4
Logic: 4
Willpower: 5

Edge: 3
Initiative: 7(9)
Essence: 3.28

Knowledge Skills
English : N
Japanese : 4
Or'zet : 3
Chemistry : 3
Engineering : 2
Security Procedures : 3
Matrix Games : 1
Club Music : 1
Parazoology : 2
Magic Background : 2
Poison antidotes : 1
Japanacorps : 2

Active Skills
Computer : 4
Data Search : 4
Hardware : 4
Software : 4
Con : 4
Etiquette : 4
Leadership : 4
Negotiation : 4
Clubs (Staves) : 2
Cybercombat : 5
Electronic Warfare : 3
Hacking : 5
First Aid (Combat Wounds) : 2
Pistols (Semi-Automatics) : 3

Positive Qualities
First Impression

Negative Qualities
Low Pain Tolerance
Scorched
Moderate allergy to wildflower pollen (uncommon/moderate)

Cyberwares
Cybereyes Basic System (Rating 2)
+ Flare Compensation
+ Low-Light Vision
+ Smartlink
+ Vision Enhancement (Rating 2)
Wired Reflexes (Rating 2)
Datajack

Weapons
Staff (blind person's cane)
Ares Predator IV
Regular Ammo (50 shots)
Gel Rounds (30 shots)

Armors
Clothing (Chic)
Clothing (Regular)
Actioneer Businnes Clothes
Armor Jacket

Commlinks
Commlink : Fairlight Caliban
Response Upgrade (5)
Sim Module Modified for BTL/Hot Sim
Jammer, Directional (Rating 6)

PROGRAMS
Analyze (Rating 6)
Browse (Rating 6)
Edit (Rating 6)
Encrypt (Rating 6)
Reality Filter (Rating 6)
Scan (Rating 6)
Armor (Rating 6)
Attack (Rating 6)
Biofeedback Filters (Rating 6)
Decrypt (Rating 6)
Defuse (Rating 6)
ECCM (Rating 6)
Exploit (Rating 6)
Medic (Rating 6)
Sniffer (Rating 6)
Spoof (Rating 6)
Stealth (Rating 6)
Track (Rating 6)
Firewall (Rating 6)
System (Rating 6)

Equipments
Fake SIN (Rating 4)
Fake SIN (Rating 4)
Fake Gun License (Rating 4)
Respirator (Rating 6)
Gecko Tape Gloves
Survival Kit
Medkit (Rating 6)
DocWagon Contract (Basic - per Year)

Contacts
Chewtoy (L:2 C:3)
Retired Decker/Fixer

Contacts
Wendolyn (L:2 C:2)
Smuggler/Rigger
Cabral
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Codename: Oily (also known as Seven.Day.Weekend)
<SniP>
Contacts
Chewtoy (L:2 C:3)
Retired Decker/Fixer

Contacts
Wendolyn (L:2 C:2)
Smuggler/Rigger

I love the names you came up with smile.gif
JonathanC
Thanks. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012