Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enter the Mantis, Kung Fu Question
Anythingforenoug...
post Aug 25 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,054

A recent post regarding Mantis Spirits resurrected an NPC idea that had been on the back burner, that I am now thinking about fleshing out for a future game. Nothing very special about the character, just a Mantis Shaman who is an Insect Spirit hunter type, that is going to be a resource for the players (Info, Equipment, maybe a Job or Two).

On the more gimmicky side of things, I was thinking about having him be a master of Mantis Style of Kung Fu. Although it can look a bit goofy when preformed, the footage I looked up on YouTube did have some very interesting qualities-particularly as far as closing with an opponent by going through their defenses, as well as dropping some nice lock, throw, and sweep type movements into the attack after getting right on top of an opponent. Anyway, is there anyone out there who is familiar with the style who might be able to lend a suggestion or two as to how to translate it into game mechanics?

Thanks,
AFE :nuyen:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 25 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

A male Mantis Shaman? Bold move there.

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Aug 25 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Yes-I have several players who like to play very strong/aggressive/violent type female characters, so I like to have an NPC or to around with, let's say, complicated, issues about strong women. This, I hope you would agree, qualifies, no?

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Aug 25 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,458

Watch a movie called My Schoolmate the Barbarian for some good Mantis style ideas.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 27 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #5

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen @ Aug 25 2006, 04:31 PM)
Yes-I have several players who like to play very strong/aggressive/violent type female characters, so I like to have an NPC or to around with, let's say, complicated, issues about strong women.  This, I hope you would agree, qualifies, no?

I love that.

Of course, much as he'll adore the strong female PCs, they could always stand that last little improvement... like playing host to a Mantid spirit themselves. If any of the players take too much advantage of him, they might find he takes a little too much liking to them in return. :grinbig:

EDIT: In fact I love the idea so much that I'm going to steal it. What a beautifully creepy yet funny idea.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 27 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen)
A recent post regarding Mantis Spirits resurrected an NPC idea that had been on the back burner, that I am now thinking about fleshing out for a future game. Nothing very special about the character, just a Mantis Shaman who is an Insect Spirit hunter type, that is going to be a resource for the players (Info, Equipment, maybe a Job or Two).

On the more gimmicky side of things, I was thinking about having him be a master of Mantis Style of Kung Fu. Although it can look a bit goofy when preformed, the footage I looked up on YouTube did have some very interesting qualities-particularly as far as closing with an opponent by going through their defenses, as well as dropping some nice lock, throw, and sweep type movements into the attack after getting right on top of an opponent. Anyway, is there anyone out there who is familiar with the style who might be able to lend a suggestion or two as to how to translate it into game mechanics?

Thanks,

In general, whenever I need to do some research on martial arts, I always go to www.bullshido.net. You could go there and do a search for mantis.

That being said, even though I never practiced mantis, my understanding is that it uses a lot of entanglements. If I were forced to RP a mantis stylist right this moment, I'd just rip off entanglements from _ing _un for my flavor text.

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Aug 27 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser)
EDIT: In fact I love the idea so much that I'm going to steal it. What a beautifully creepy yet funny idea.

No need for theft, please take the idea with my compliments, and do with it what you will :D

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 29 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Boo

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 29 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Sweet! :D

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 29 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #10

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Aiiee !!

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Aug 30 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Interesting. :-)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 30 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

It's animatronic, too.

And, oh yes, it's in Seattle. In the Pacific Science Center, in the Insect Village. They also have a giant robotic scorpion.

Another 12-foot tall Mantid (from the Backyard Monsters exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Natural History). But the worst part is that this bitch is nothing compared to the 11-foot tall, 22-foot long tarantula.

God, I can't even imagine how many school groups have had hysterics in that place.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 30 2006, 04:28 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It isn't animatronic. Its real!

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 30 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

The invae came early to Seattle.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 30 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #15

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (SL James)
Boo

Sweet fuck! That photo just became a player hand-out.

GM: "You turn around and see THIS"
Player: :eek:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.