Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enter the Mantis
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Anythingforenoughnuyen
A recent post regarding Mantis Spirits resurrected an NPC idea that had been on the back burner, that I am now thinking about fleshing out for a future game. Nothing very special about the character, just a Mantis Shaman who is an Insect Spirit hunter type, that is going to be a resource for the players (Info, Equipment, maybe a Job or Two).

On the more gimmicky side of things, I was thinking about having him be a master of Mantis Style of Kung Fu. Although it can look a bit goofy when preformed, the footage I looked up on YouTube did have some very interesting qualities-particularly as far as closing with an opponent by going through their defenses, as well as dropping some nice lock, throw, and sweep type movements into the attack after getting right on top of an opponent. Anyway, is there anyone out there who is familiar with the style who might be able to lend a suggestion or two as to how to translate it into game mechanics?

Thanks,
AFE nuyen.gif
SL James
A male Mantis Shaman? Bold move there.
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Yes-I have several players who like to play very strong/aggressive/violent type female characters, so I like to have an NPC or to around with, let's say, complicated, issues about strong women. This, I hope you would agree, qualifies, no?

AFE nuyen.gif
Lazerface
Watch a movie called My Schoolmate the Barbarian for some good Mantis style ideas.
knasser
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen @ Aug 25 2006, 04:31 PM)
Yes-I have several players who like to play very strong/aggressive/violent type female characters, so I like to have an NPC or to around with, let's say, complicated, issues about strong women.  This, I hope you would agree, qualifies, no?

AFE nuyen.gif

I love that.

Of course, much as he'll adore the strong female PCs, they could always stand that last little improvement... like playing host to a Mantid spirit themselves. If any of the players take too much advantage of him, they might find he takes a little too much liking to them in return. grinbig.gif

EDIT: In fact I love the idea so much that I'm going to steal it. What a beautifully creepy yet funny idea.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen)
A recent post regarding Mantis Spirits resurrected an NPC idea that had been on the back burner, that I am now thinking about fleshing out for a future game. Nothing very special about the character, just a Mantis Shaman who is an Insect Spirit hunter type, that is going to be a resource for the players (Info, Equipment, maybe a Job or Two).

On the more gimmicky side of things, I was thinking about having him be a master of Mantis Style of Kung Fu. Although it can look a bit goofy when preformed, the footage I looked up on YouTube did have some very interesting qualities-particularly as far as closing with an opponent by going through their defenses, as well as dropping some nice lock, throw, and sweep type movements into the attack after getting right on top of an opponent. Anyway, is there anyone out there who is familiar with the style who might be able to lend a suggestion or two as to how to translate it into game mechanics?

Thanks,
AFE nuyen.gif

In general, whenever I need to do some research on martial arts, I always go to www.bullshido.net. You could go there and do a search for mantis.

That being said, even though I never practiced mantis, my understanding is that it uses a lot of entanglements. If I were forced to RP a mantis stylist right this moment, I'd just rip off entanglements from _ing _un for my flavor text.
Anythingforenoughnuyen
QUOTE (knasser)
EDIT: In fact I love the idea so much that I'm going to steal it. What a beautifully creepy yet funny idea.

No need for theft, please take the idea with my compliments, and do with it what you will biggrin.gif

AFE nuyen.gif
SL James
Boo
Grinder
Sweet! biggrin.gif
Critias
Aiiee !!
PBTHHHHT
Interesting. smile.gif
SL James
It's animatronic, too.

And, oh yes, it's in Seattle. In the Pacific Science Center, in the Insect Village. They also have a giant robotic scorpion.

Another 12-foot tall Mantid (from the Backyard Monsters exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Natural History). But the worst part is that this bitch is nothing compared to the 11-foot tall, 22-foot long tarantula.

God, I can't even imagine how many school groups have had hysterics in that place.
hyzmarca
It isn't animatronic. Its real!

SL James
The invae came early to Seattle.
knasser
QUOTE (SL James)
Boo

Sweet fuck! That photo just became a player hand-out.

GM: "You turn around and see THIS"
Player: eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012