> Min/Maxing A Multifunction Character
Whorbital
post Aug 31 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,277

Howdy all. Long post here...

I have a slight dilemma. I'm making a new character (400bp) and the last time I played SR was 2nd edition. With the new systems in place, I was hoping to get some veteran advice on complex character creation.

The real difficulty lies in that the character will have to fufill three functions for my group. We have a ton of combat and a ton of magic, but no real matrix functionality and no face man to speak to Mr. Johnson or social engineer a security guard. Here are the areas I need the character to excell (or at least be useful at)

1) Hacking - This character will be our primary expert in the matrix. Technomancer or Hacker makes no difference.

2) Social - This character is the conversational pointman. If nothing else, this is the guy that will do the speaking before the shooting, or try the diplomatic option before the destructive one. I love conversational and dialogue roleplaying, so I'm looking to be "that guy"

3) Stealth - There is a quite attractive but shy girl in our gaming group (playing a stealthy character), and when the GM seperates the group into the espionage characters and the face melters, I'll get to roleplay with her if i'm compitent in that area. (note : I really don't care if he's good in combat or not)

For the experts out there the question is this : what are some essential starting skills for a character with these considerations? Is there anything that overlaps well or fufills several roles with a single cost? Is there a cheap way of being able to handle a fight with offensive minmaxers without having to blow all my points in combat abilities?

I can likely get away with exceptional hacking, and decent conversation (because I'll still be better than everyone else), but I'm still only about 1/2 through the creation process, so I want to have an understanding of what is effective and why.

edit : spelling > me
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 31 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Definitely go for Hacker and not Techomancer. Technos are karma whores and therefore not such great multi-taskers.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Aug 31 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Hacking is a pretty easy ability to incorporate into a face/sneak character. Hacking unlike technomancers don't rely on stats for being able to hack, there are builds of hackers with a 1 logic which are very effective. (do a search for the 0 point on attributes contest) The biggest point costs for a hacker is money and skills, you'll probably need 70k to get the best stock deck and all the programs you'll need, likewise you'll also probably want both electronics and hacking skillgroups.

Face is also fairly easy, you only need a decent charisma and the influence skillgroup, if you add tailored pheremones, you've got a very good face.

Stealth is also reasonably easy, there's no real cyber available for it, so it's just a few points in the Stealth group (or just infiltration if your running out of points) and a decent agility should be all you need. A stealth suit is armor that adds to your stealthyness, and is useful for being sneaky.

Overall hacking will probably be the most point expensive portion of your character since it requires both gobs of money and two seperate skillgroups. The other two just tend to require one attribute and a skillgroup.

Edit: Yeah what moon-hawk said, don't go TM, it's a serious BP and karma sink.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 31 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Jack of all trades, master of none...

You may want to consider gettin Skillwires. They are pretty much made for people who want tons of skills without excelling at them.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 31 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Hm. I think it might be possible to be proficient in those areas, and probably have a little skill in fighting as well.
You could play a cybered mundane or abuse the adept rules to achieve those goals... but I think I have to think about it some more :).

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Aug 31 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 4,171

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Jack of all trades, master of none...

You may want to consider gettin Skillwires. They are pretty much made for people who want tons of skills without excelling at them.

And maybe Enhanced Articulation for those Physical skills you end up not having (initially) and needing to default on?

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 31 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Agreed. Hacker > Techno if you're trying to be mutlipurpose.
Basically, you'll want the Electronics, Cracking, Influence and Stealth skill groups.
Picking up a few individual skills to round him out, I would suggest Dodge, Unarmed Combat, and a firearms skill (pistols?)

Definatly looking at a skill-heavy character.

You might want to juggle the numbers and consider getting skillwires. Then, when you need a hacker, load in a rating 3 Hacking skillsoft, and a rating 3 Cybercombat skillsoft. When you need someone to be the face, load up Negotiation and Con, when you wanna tag along with Hotty McShyness, load up Infiltration + Shadowing.

Course, the cyber and those 'softs are expensive - and just might cost as many BP as it would take to just be good at them, but at least as a hacker (as opposed to a technomancer) you have almost no use for your essence. :-D

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Aug 31 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

I'm with Backgammon.

Buy a highish charisma. Then get skillwires for either your stealth or your conversation.

If you are okay with abuse, physical adept, magic 4 or so, then take 2 points of essence. Put the other points in to Kinesics, and improved ability (non-combat skill).

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 31 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Consider rifle as your combat skill. You're not going to be super-combative, but you want to contribute to fights. You're going to want to spend some time stationary to do your hacking. All these things, to me, spell sniper.
And if you're going to be sneaky and a B&E type, you might want Gymnastics over Dodge, it's up to you.

+Quote Post
Whorbital
post Aug 31 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Target

Hmm. Good to know. Is there a particular race suited to this build? I was thinking elf, may need the points elsewhere ><

edit : HottieMcShyness is the greatest name ever.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 31 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #11

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Definitely go for Hacker and not Techomancer.  Technos are karma whores and therefore not such great multi-taskers.

...they also are more limited in how many complex forms they start with (especially if some essence is given up to implants) and what rating levels these are at whereas a Hacker can come in woith more (and better rated) programmes at the outset.

Furthermore, if you are looking to divert BPs to other areas such as Influence and Stealth, too much would already have been sucked up by Resonance and the Threading skill group at Chargen.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 31 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Personally, I would go human. Cheap on the BP - and that bonus point of edge will help you on any of the various things you want to do (just not very often). Then again. I always go human.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 31 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #13

I second the motion for human. Edge helps out everything you do, which is ideal for a jack-of-all-trades (or at least multifunction) character. Save on BPs, 'cause this character will need them.

edit: Although, if you've really got your heart set on a particular metatype, by all means play that. Any metatype can be any role, if done correctly.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 31 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Edge should be more than the minimum. When sneaking in, be it physical or virtual, the chance to repeat a bad roll and thus avoid notice is pretty useful.

Edit: And edge lets you repeat that roll when you were trying to lie your way out...

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Aug 31 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #15

Target

Definite non-expert Devil's advocate here. Consider Elfness if you want to twink your Agility and Charisma higher for skill tests.

If I understand the mechanics correctly the average or above average Agility Elf + Enhanced Articulation + Muscle Toner (2) should allow you to default on many flavors of combat without having to invest in combat skills. And the average Charisma Elf + Tailored Pheromones (3) should be able to default through many Social tests...

Just saying. :D

+Quote Post
2bit
post Aug 31 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Hacking and socializing are an ok synergy; the only bad thing I can think of is that youre at a bit of a tactical disadvantage when dealing with Mr. J, as this really is a good opportunity for hacker tricks and you'll be unable to do much while looking your employer in the eye.

Forgery is where the real synergy of hacking and socializing is, and sets you up for good disguise and con based stealth.

see if you can get:
Influence skill group
Electronics skill group
Cracking skill group
Forgery
Infiltration
Disguise

Remember to pick up language skills or skillsofts since your social skills are limited by them.

Blandness is the perfect quality to have, as well as human-looking if it applies. Consider the Combat Paralysis quality too.

A charming character who stays close to the action as opposed to sitting in a corner hacking and sniping is sure to win you more RL points with Hottie McShyness if you want to go that route.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 31 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Whorbital)
3) Stealth - There is a quite attractive but shy girl in our gaming group (playing a stealthy character), and when the GM seperates the group into the espionage characters and the face melters, I'll get to reolplay with her if i'm compitent in that area. (note : I really don't care if he's good in combat or not)

A worthy goal. Make sure that the GM is up to speed on ways of detecting invisible characters as you don't want the mage usurping you. A properly constructed stealth character (or even a dabbler) should be far more effective than a mage with Invisibility / Improved Invisibility, but some GMs initially think it's a carte blanche to get past anything. Be prepared to mention that it's not a counter to ultrasound, motion sensors, etc. (in character, of course). And have a good grasp of the fact that in SR4, almost everything is wireless and often hackable. A hacker should be the perfect compliment to a stealthy character, able to disable alarms, open doors and erase access records, so take the time to read through the hacking rules and see if you can give your GM a nudge this way before the game gets going if he's not overly familiar with the new background himself.

If all else fails, bribe your GM with beer, munchies, trading cards etc to give you character time with Shyness. And good luck! :love:

+Quote Post
Whorbital
post Aug 31 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #18

Target

QUOTE (knasser)
And have a good grasp of the fact that in SR4, almost everything is wireless and often hackable. A hacker should be the perfect compliment to a stealthy character, able to disable alarms, open doors and erase access records, so take the time to read through the hacking rules and see if you can give your GM a nudge this way before the game gets going if he's not overly familiar with the new background himself.

If all else fails, bribe your GM with beer, munchies, trading cards etc to give you character time with Shyness. And good luck! :love:

Ahh. Good point, I had completely forgotten the wireless upgrade we got.

Excellent responses everyone; this is helping a great deal. As a previous poster mentioned, I'm thinking of taking the forgery skill, as the overlap of social and hacking can also work into the character's background (as a con-artist on the run from a former mark). Plus, if I'm charming and witty, it's just good roleplaying, right?

As for Hottie McShyness, it's not a creepy underhanded trick or anything, but if i'm going to be spending hours roleplaying I might as well enjoy the time. :D

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Aug 31 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #19

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

I like the fact he is making a character that is stealth proficant so he can hang with the quite attractive but shy girl in his gaming group you go man

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 31 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (Casazil)
I like the fact he is making a character that is stealth proficant so he can hang with the quite attractive but shy girl in his gaming group you go man

Yea, I wanted to comment on that, but I couldn't think of a way to say it that didn't sound condisending. I definately didn't want to come of that way.

I can imagine them married in a few years, and being like, "Honey remember that SR game when we hooked up? [ . . . ]"

Storries like that are great.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Sep 1 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #21

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

Hey I'm all for him going for it heck most guys I know get married and then there are problems with them going to play.

At least he found one that likes to play that will help cut down on arguments and if she gets really pissed she can just kill his character in game that maybe a way to keep the marriage healthy. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Sep 1 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

As a (sorta) newbie female gamer who might one day have to handle in-game wooing, I'm actually curious about Miss McShyness. Please, tell me more!

EDIT: God, asking that question makes me feel like some girl at a slumber party. :please:

<Hugs a pink frilly pillow to herself and leans in expectantly towards Whorbital>

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 1 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Giggity-giggity-goo. Allright.

+Quote Post
Whorbital
post Sep 1 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #24

Target

/blush

You know, when I was making this post I honestly considered leaving the explanation of why I wanted stealth out (I was going to say something about perhaps liking it in previous games ot the fact I play a WoW rogue or something of the like). Guess I'm glad I kept it true to life ^^

She's younger than me by about 4 years (26 vs 22) and heavily into the standard attractive geek girl interests; online gaming (WoW), console rpg, penny arcade, tabletop RPG, anime etc. (I think she also reads the Bleach manga, so double bonus points and she wore a fruit fzker t-shirt when I saw her the first time making it a triple word score.) In appearance, she looks like an early Christina Ricci (when she was 18 or so) minus a foot of height (and about 20 pounds less), with short cut mahogany red (dyed) hair. I'd love to speak more about her personality, humor, or even eye color, but I have only heard her speak twice and she rarely looks me in the eye the times we talked.

As for the character, I'm using all the suggestions in this thread as they are simply perfect for what I'm hoping to acheive. Focus on decent attributes with a ton of skillwire to help with each facet. Though I have some mechanics questions,

1) Is pretending to be someone else considered part of disguise? For example, I can forge the ID of a security Guard, and disguise myself to look like him, but whould i stil use the skill to act like the guard would? or is that kind of social manipulation influence based?

2) Is the perk that adds to your initial interaction with people worth the investment? (edit : first impression is the perk). It seems the majority of social engineering is done to a police officer, guard, receptionist, ganger, etc. rather than to characters repeated. As a former con artist, it might be worth my time, but that is all theorycraft atm.

Glad ya'll are enjoying the thread. I'll post back once I've fleshed out the character some, and again after our first session on Monday 8)

edit : oh and if by some odd chance our DM happens to read this board and can pick one of us out from these descriptions, please for the love of god don't say anything. Beer and pizza will floweth in payment for your silence! /shyalso

edit edit : also, to the potential female gamers who may one day experience "in game wooing", remember one thing about your standard cookie cutter gaming guy. He is rather oblivious to signs and will generally be too reserved or self-conscious to do anything if he does pick up on them, and he will also be facing competetion and/or scorn from the other gaming members if he is too foreword. Getting a ride to the game and asking him to give you a ride home is an excellent way to have some easy to explain and low obligation alone time to break the ice.

That being said, it is also VERY easy to string a guy along. If you do not want their advances, for the love of cthulu don't be anything other than generally friendly. Give an inch and we'll follow you for miles.

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Sep 1 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Whorbital)
1) Is pretending to be someone else considered part of disguise? For example, I can forge the ID of a security Guard, and disguise myself to look like him, but whould i stil use the skill to act like the guard would? or is that kind of social manipulation influence based?

GM call? I'd say Disguise when being seen, Con when being interacted with.

QUOTE (Whorbital)
2) Is the perk that adds to your initial interaction with people worth the investment? (the name of the perk eludes me). It seems the majority of social engineering is done to a police officer, guard, receptionist, ganger, etc. rather than to characters repeated. As a former con artist, it might be worth my time, but that is all theorycraft atm.

First Impression. As it reads to me it looks totally great for an ex or even current con artist.

QUOTE (Whorbital)
edit edit : also, to the potential female gamers who may one day experience "in game wooing", remember one thing about your standard cookie cutter gaming guy. He is rather oblivious to signs and will generally be too reserved or self-conscious to do anything if he does pick up on them, and he will also be facing competetion and/or scorn from the other gaming members if he is too foreword. Getting a ride to the game and asking him to give you a ride home is an excellent way to have some easy to explain and low obligation alone time to break the ice.

I so totally resemble that remark. Ha! :)

Good luck and have fun at the game regardless!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 03:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.