IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is SR3 magic broken?
Is it?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 78
Guests cannot vote 
emo samurai
post Sep 6 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

From what I've read, you can reduce almost all your karma costs down to nearly zero with metaplanar quests you don't have to roleplay and orichalcum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Sep 6 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,015

Just play it yourself. It's not broken. It's magic. It does what it does, and it can't do what it can't do.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 6 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (emo samurai)
From what I've read, you can reduce almost all your karma costs down to nearly zero with metaplanar quests you don't have to roleplay and orichalcum.

The italicized part is not a rule. If the GM chooses not to roleplay metaplanar quests that's his choice, not areflection on the magic rules.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 6 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Well, there is the official option to just have the mage resist a listed damage for each place in the quest, rather than roleplaying it.
I agree that the GM has to choose not to roleplay the quests, but even if the GM does choose that, he/she is still playing within the rules.
Those rules can be nice if the party's spellcaster decides to go on an unanticipated quest as part of a run, but for any quest that you might know about ahead of time (such as for an initiation or learning a spell or whatever) I think that should be RPed out on the side. Have that character's player show up for the session an hour early or something.
The GM really should be RPing as many metaplanar quests as possible.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 6 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Dammit. Hit the wrong button. My answer is no.

Just because you don't feel like running it well doesn't make it broken. Actually, I'd say that from your original question, you don't have enough knowledge or understanding to even validate asking.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Sep 6 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 6 2006, 03:57 PM)
Actually, I'd say that from your original question, you don't have enough knowledge or understanding to even validate asking.

If I understand correctly, Emu doesn't even play 3rd edition shadowrun. He's not asking a question to help him play or GM a game. Any responses given here won't be put to use. It's just a way to start an argument he can watch. Or to criticise MitS without buying it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 6 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Define "broken". It has places that, sadly, demand house-action (whether official houseruling or merely a spoken or unspoken agreement not to do certain things), so one could call it broken based on that—making Orichalcum is the big thing, though that's more a money issue. Is it unusable? No.

~J

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 6 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Bodak)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 6 2006, 03:57 PM)
Actually, I'd say that from your original question, you don't have enough knowledge or understanding to even validate asking.

If I understand correctly, Emu doesn't even play 3rd edition shadowrun. He's not asking a question to help him play or GM a game. Any responses given here won't be put to use. It's just a way to start an argument he can watch. Or to criticise MitS without buying it.

And yet people keep responding to this shit.

And yes, I see the irony. Thank you in advance for pointing it out.

+Quote Post
Homme-qui-rigole
post Sep 6 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 4,248

Sure, there are some rules broken, but generally SR3 Magic work better than SR4 Magic

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 6 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Hey! Look at the irony in that last SL James post!!! ;)

You're welcome. :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 6 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)
Sure, there are some rules broken, but generally SR3 Magic work better than SR4 Magic

And there it is. The statement the original troll was digging for. Step back folks! :)

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Sep 6 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

/sigh
Please can we have this "poll" locked?

+Quote Post
Beaumis
post Sep 6 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 8,223

Yup we could lock it. Or we could prove the system is not broken by pointing out that each astral quest to reduce karma points takes [rating]d6 hours to complete.
So even if your DM choses not to roleplay and choses to ignore the optional rules to just let your karma reduction fly, your group sure as hell wont stand for the mage never answering his phone when a new job is in because he's away on the planes, minimizing karma cost on the new spell.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 6 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Dude, I'm not trying to criticize Mits, I'm trying to find out if I should play SR3 instead of SR4.

Jesus.

And since you have so overwhelmingly come out in favor of it not being broken despite the exploits, I think I'll buy MITS.

Happy?

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Sep 6 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Maybe not this time. I refer you to your erudite opinion:
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Since magic will probably be the relevant stat for enchanting, I'm assuming they will help a lot.

Orihalcum's a broken game mechanic.
in the other thread.

If you were considering buying MitS your poll would have been "Would buying MitS benefit me and my game since I play SR4 and am considering playing SR3?" Then everyone would have voted yes. MitS provides useful background for 4th and is nearly essential for 3rd.

Asking if the 3rd ed magic system is "broken" on a board where you know full-well lots of people play 3rd ed and like it, but that no system is ever perfect, is provocative to say the least. Pull the other leg - it's detachable.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 6 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)

...for one thing, Mundanes have a better chance to resist spells since Body and WIllpower attibute ratings define the caster's target numbers in most instances.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 6 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)

...for one thing, Mundanes have a better chance to resist spells since Body and WIllpower attibute ratings define the caster's target numbers in most instances.

Which really did make the world of difference. Hmm... house rule ideas abound in my mind now...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 6 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...of course, I am taking this from a mundane character's point of view.

With the Variable Target Number (set by attribute) in SR3, most of my characters withstood spells cast at them more easily. They may have taken some damage/effect, but at least they didn't go down in one shot.

In my book, that is not broken

With the Fixed Target number and Attribute Cap in SR4, Character attributes (other than Body for a few transformation manipulations) have no effect vs. spells. You basically take the hits since the caster is usually flinging more dice than your character can defend against which usually has resulted in the character going down pretty much the first time they were hit.

In my book, that is broken.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Sep 6 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #19

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

However the lower base damage of combat spells in SR4 (no cast at deadly) means that while it is harder to resist in 4 your less likely to dropped by the first shot as I found in SR3. Since all mages I saw cast their combat spell at 6 they had both more dice and lower TNs than the target, cast at deadly=dead target and TN 3 for drain (manabolt, powerbolt is only for vehicles) means fairly easy to ignore the drain with a few bonus dice. Now a force six manbolt does similar drain (ie nowt) and the cast can do 12 boxes max with your resist reducing tht straight down so it's likely to be 10ish boxes which a decent thug can take (okay only once, but then it's his turn and -3 dice won't save the mage from two bursts of Ex Ex from sammies AR)

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 6 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

I liked the 3rd edition magic system. Metaplanar quests are, by definition, a serious risk. There's nothing saying that you'll automatically succeed, and since it's not a single test, or even the same kind of test every time, you can't really plan out a way to munchkin your stats around completing it. To say nothing of the fact that your buddies can't really help you, unless they can also travel to the metaplanes.

Likewise, can you even do a metaplanar quest if you haven't initiated at least once already?

+Quote Post
Green Eyed Monst...
post Sep 6 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,388

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 6 2006, 06:53 PM)
Likewise, can you even do a metaplanar quest if you haven't initiated at least once already?

Yes, but it is not real easy. Need access to the metaplanes. Like through a free spirits astral gateway power.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 7 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Yes, play SR3, you romo.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 7 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Why would you call him a short-lived British pop cultural movement?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 7 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

what i really find hilarious is how emo constantly provokes flames (by his own admission), but once in a while he's all "zomgz how could you guys think i'd do that!"

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 7 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Really? I've never seen him say "zomgz."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.