IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evidence of mana level rising., Does it exist?
emo samurai
post Sep 13 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

At least in the rules. I think it does. You can summon really powerful spirits now, and you don't have to learn a new spell for each force. Then again, binding really sucks now.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 13 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

I don't think a major change to the rules mechanics can be sensibly interpreted as a rise in the mana level.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 13 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Why not? The major change to the rules mechanics as they pertain to the matrix represents a technology increase.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 13 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

It represents a drastic technological leap forward. Mana increase in SR follows a gentler upward slope.

+Quote Post
Steak and Spirit...
post Sep 13 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,346

The new sourcebook, Mana Dead Zones, slated to release at the beginning of '07 should take care of that. From my understanding, it will bring the game back in line with it's respectable cyberpunk roots, stamping out these nonsensical fantasy delusions of grandeur.

Like anyone wants to play a fantasy game.

+Quote Post
Wanderer
post Sep 13 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,234

QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
The new sourcebook, Mana Dead Zones, slated to release at the beginning of '07 should take care of that. From my understanding, it will bring the game back in line with it's respectable cyberpunk roots, stamping out these nonsensical fantasy delusions of grandeur.

Dude, a strong epic urban fantasy element is an integral part of Shadowrun's appeal. If I wanted to have pure cyberpunk fare, there's plenty of other games around. Or at least, they were, since I notice that many of them are dead or marginal in the genre, while hybrid Shadowrun has always kept a strong presence. Says something about the appeal of pure cyberpunk, eh :P

+Quote Post
Steak and Spirit...
post Sep 13 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,346

Pah!

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 14 2006, 03:16 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

the evidence of mana levels rising is mainly found in new types of spirits (mostly unpleasant) showing up, astral shallows, mana surges, mana storms, new paracritters, SURGE, and so forth.

oh, and some new metamagics are supposed to be easier/possible now due to mana levels rising i think... not 100% sure, but i thought i saw that in some SR3 book... which i can't remember the name of... so i'm probably just delusional on that point... ah well =P

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 14 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

If anything, mana levels are lower in the new rules. In 2050, 1% of the population was magicians with a Magic Attribute of 6. In 2070, 1% of the population are Awakened, most of them have a Magic Attribute of 1 and many of them have inane partial awakenings like "Spell Knack" and "Astral Sight".

The number of people who can throw a Force 6 spell without bleeding from the asshole has dropped from fifty million in 2050 to about 6 million in 2070. That's a huge drop in mana levels. On demographics alone, the mana trends are clearly negative.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Casper
post Sep 14 2006, 07:41 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)

Just wandering where you found this title mentioned.

+Quote Post
Casper
post Sep 14 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
If anything, mana levels are lower in the new rules. In 2050, 1% of the population was magicians with a Magic Attribute of 6. In 2070, 1% of the population are Awakened, most of them have a Magic Attribute of 1 and many of them have inane partial awakenings like "Spell Knack" and "Astral Sight".

The number of people who can throw a Force 6 spell without bleeding from the asshole has dropped from fifty million in 2050 to about 6 million in 2070. That's a huge drop in mana levels. On demographics alone, the mana trends are clearly negative.

-Frank

Or they finally checked their math.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Sep 14 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

I see the international "Geek the Mage" movement has been very successful

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Sep 14 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I would say that you can't really compare SR4 Magic ratings to prior editions. Mages aren't necessarily weaker because they have Magic at less than 6. If anything, an SR4 mage with Magic 6 seems more powerful than a mage with Magic 6 from previous editions.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 14 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #14

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

The mana level is roughly the same. Those little details don't really make a difference.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Sep 14 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #15

Guests

Details like Shedim? ;)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 14 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #16

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Details like Shedim? ;)

Shedim aren't indicitive of increasing mana levels, they're indicitive of the proof-beyond-doubt that there are more metaplanes than you can shake a stick at, and a disturbing notion about exactly what asshole-of-the-metaplanes Ghostwalker had his spirit stashed.

+Quote Post
Cognitive Resona...
post Sep 14 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 9,113

It isn't that mana levels have risen, it's the research done in SOTA:2065. Universal theory of magic or whatever they called it.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 14 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i thought the invae showing up was a sign of mana levels increasing at least...

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Sep 14 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

This is a sign that the mana levels are rising. Soon dormant volcanoes will be exploding all over the place. Time to do a little geneological research and see if I have any NA blood...

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Sep 14 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

I can't get rid of the mental image of shedims' astral appearance as metroids...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.