Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evidence of mana level rising.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
At least in the rules. I think it does. You can summon really powerful spirits now, and you don't have to learn a new spell for each force. Then again, binding really sucks now.

Thoughts?
Shrike30
I don't think a major change to the rules mechanics can be sensibly interpreted as a rise in the mana level.
Demerzel
Why not? The major change to the rules mechanics as they pertain to the matrix represents a technology increase.
Slithery D
It represents a drastic technological leap forward. Mana increase in SR follows a gentler upward slope.
Steak and Spirits
The new sourcebook, Mana Dead Zones, slated to release at the beginning of '07 should take care of that. From my understanding, it will bring the game back in line with it's respectable cyberpunk roots, stamping out these nonsensical fantasy delusions of grandeur.

Like anyone wants to play a fantasy game.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
The new sourcebook, Mana Dead Zones, slated to release at the beginning of '07 should take care of that. From my understanding, it will bring the game back in line with it's respectable cyberpunk roots, stamping out these nonsensical fantasy delusions of grandeur.

Dude, a strong epic urban fantasy element is an integral part of Shadowrun's appeal. If I wanted to have pure cyberpunk fare, there's plenty of other games around. Or at least, they were, since I notice that many of them are dead or marginal in the genre, while hybrid Shadowrun has always kept a strong presence. Says something about the appeal of pure cyberpunk, eh nyahnyah.gif
Steak and Spirits
Pah!
Jaid
the evidence of mana levels rising is mainly found in new types of spirits (mostly unpleasant) showing up, astral shallows, mana surges, mana storms, new paracritters, SURGE, and so forth.

oh, and some new metamagics are supposed to be easier/possible now due to mana levels rising i think... not 100% sure, but i thought i saw that in some SR3 book... which i can't remember the name of... so i'm probably just delusional on that point... ah well =P
FrankTrollman
If anything, mana levels are lower in the new rules. In 2050, 1% of the population was magicians with a Magic Attribute of 6. In 2070, 1% of the population are Awakened, most of them have a Magic Attribute of 1 and many of them have inane partial awakenings like "Spell Knack" and "Astral Sight".

The number of people who can throw a Force 6 spell without bleeding from the asshole has dropped from fifty million in 2050 to about 6 million in 2070. That's a huge drop in mana levels. On demographics alone, the mana trends are clearly negative.

-Frank
Casper
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)

Just wandering where you found this title mentioned.
Casper
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
If anything, mana levels are lower in the new rules. In 2050, 1% of the population was magicians with a Magic Attribute of 6. In 2070, 1% of the population are Awakened, most of them have a Magic Attribute of 1 and many of them have inane partial awakenings like "Spell Knack" and "Astral Sight".

The number of people who can throw a Force 6 spell without bleeding from the asshole has dropped from fifty million in 2050 to about 6 million in 2070. That's a huge drop in mana levels. On demographics alone, the mana trends are clearly negative.

-Frank

Or they finally checked their math.
Kremlin KOA
I see the international "Geek the Mage" movement has been very successful
Eryk the Red
I would say that you can't really compare SR4 Magic ratings to prior editions. Mages aren't necessarily weaker because they have Magic at less than 6. If anything, an SR4 mage with Magic 6 seems more powerful than a mage with Magic 6 from previous editions.
Thanee
The mana level is roughly the same. Those little details don't really make a difference.

Bye
Thanee
MK Ultra
Details like Shedim? wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Details like Shedim? wink.gif

Shedim aren't indicitive of increasing mana levels, they're indicitive of the proof-beyond-doubt that there are more metaplanes than you can shake a stick at, and a disturbing notion about exactly what asshole-of-the-metaplanes Ghostwalker had his spirit stashed.
Cognitive Resonance
It isn't that mana levels have risen, it's the research done in SOTA:2065. Universal theory of magic or whatever they called it.
Jaid
i thought the invae showing up was a sign of mana levels increasing at least...
Pthgar
This is a sign that the mana levels are rising. Soon dormant volcanoes will be exploding all over the place. Time to do a little geneological research and see if I have any NA blood...
Dogsoup
I can't get rid of the mental image of shedims' astral appearance as metroids...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012