Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troll BP costs wrong?
Valrus
post Sep 15 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,385

I always thought that only 35 points for the trolls BP cost was a tad low, considering elves were 30 and didn't get nearly as many perks. Just now though I noticed that the archetypes have the Troll BP costs listed at 40 BP, didn't see a correction for either section in the errata either, now I'm wondering if the BP cost should ahve been 40 all along or if it's justa typo in the archetypes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 15 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

I don't know what the deal is with your book, but mine says 40BP.

+Quote Post
Valrus
post Sep 15 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Target

well crud, that'll teach me to go by memory alone. :S

I still think the cost is too low though.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Sep 15 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

I think the topic "metahumans are too cheap" has been discussed already. Just use your search-fu.

An example can be found here!

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 15 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

<geezer>
Back in my day, we had to choose between starting with a million :nuyen: or getting pointy ears... why, I remember when mmrmble grm .. ....
</geezer>

+Quote Post
Dragonscript
post Sep 15 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,812

I always started with a million nyen and i liked it!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 15 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (2bit)
<geezer>
Back in my day, we had to choose between starting with a million :nuyen: or getting pointy ears... why, I remember when mmrmble grm .. ....
</geezer>

Player: I want to play an elf mage!
Game System: Okay, let's see. That's priority A for elf. Magician is usually priority A, but you've already used that one. Tell you what, kid. I like you, so I'll let you have Magician for priority B. I'm so generous.
Player: I didn't want attributes, skills, or resources anyway. :S

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Sep 15 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

And woe unto he that wanted to play a dwarf mage!

A *and* B taken up! If you were lucky, you could afford soy protien, or you could cast spells!

Edit: Damn. Moon is faster on the draw.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 15 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #9

Hehe. Looks like we all remember that pain well.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Sep 15 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Running Target

To the main point: The only metatype I really feel is off is Ork. If you've accepted you won't have maxed out agility (eg, not an elf), there's very little incentive to go human over Ork for combat related plans. Case in point is my most recent game, where-in I changed the word "Human" to "Ork" on a friend's mage sheet, gained him 3 points in stats, and saved him 10 bp. He doesn't plan to summon spirits as a big part of his character, and he has Intuition as his drain stat.

All good.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 15 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #11

I agree that ork is a very good deal, build-point-wise. But even so, I really don't see my games overrun with them.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 15 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I wonder if they revisited metatype costs in this edition? It feels like their costs haven't kept up with changes to the metatypes themselves.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 15 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Someone did a reverse engineering of hte likely calculation costs for the BP and attributes and the metatypes come out mostly balanced.

However, it all depends on the weight the GM and Players apply to various elements which will not be the same in every game.

My opinion is that they are close enough.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 15 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

Trolls cost enough. Ever build one? It's damn near impossible to make a decent mage or adept out of them and have anything left for contacts or gear. Cybertrolls aren't much cheaper. Factor in how useless strength is in 4th ed., and you'll start wondering why anyone makes a Troll these days. :)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 15 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Do a search for Troll Mage if you think it's not possible to make a good Troll Mage. Someone (sorry I can't remember your name) showed fairly conclusively that there's not much point in doing anything but a troll if you want a mage and all you care about are numbers.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 15 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

unless you ever want to summon powerful spirits as opposed to "good enough".

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 15 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Que?

The force of the spirit is limited by the magic attribute - trolls don't get penalized there.

Sure, he'll have fewer bound spirits (charisma-limited), but that's not what you were complaining about, is it?

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Sep 15 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

Regarding trolls, I'm going to point out that pg. 67 of SR4 clearly states that trolls average 2.5 meters and about 325 kg, or 8'1" tall and 720 pounds in weight. Which means they do not fit in most cars, period, and will have to duck significantly inside most structures. Trying to hide is very difficult. And as only about 5% of the population, they will stand out in crowds and communities - they are very visible people in an invisible line of work.

The size of a troll is quite a drawback in itself.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 15 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Yep. If folks would follow that link Oracle provided, or do their own search, they'd realize this topic has gone back and forth several times already. :)

The overall consensus was that metahumans are balanced if you don't ignore their downsides. For trolls and dwarves this is size. For almost all of them there's also some racism to worry about. If you do ignore their negatives and only look at vision and stats then they come out slightly ahead of humans, but not a lot. IIRC Orks were the biggest offenders in a world free from RP penalties.

+Quote Post
Metasigil
post Sep 15 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 9,063

To JonathanC, a high strength troll is awesome if you know the secret of "The Troll Archer". A Troll with a high STR bow does amazing damage, has great range, and a bow is 100% legal to walk down the street with. Sure, it's no Panther Auto Cannon, but it's almost as good, especially if they put out the old special arrows from Cannon Companion in Arsenal. (And Panther Autocannons are super cheesy and always have been, not to mention having terrible, confusing Fluff. What Recoil I ask :? ) Good God I love Troll Archers. Give it a Staff, and you have a modern Robin Hood of DOOM. :D

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Sep 15 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #21

Running Target

I'm always amused by the formulas and comparisons.

It's possible that the designers sat down and did a logrhythmic deduction to equalize races to each other.

But having written gaming books, and knowing people that have done so, I don't think that's the case.

I think they sat down, worked out what felt right, tested it several times, and then went "Yeah, that seems to work." Then they came up with a general rule - if you increase high value stats, you add X, if you increase low, Y, never have more than Z.

I could be wrong, but like I said, that's been my experience of game design.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 15 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
Que?

The force of the spirit is limited by the magic attribute - trolls don't get penalized there.

Sure, he'll have fewer bound spirits (charisma-limited), but that's not what you were complaining about, is it?

thats right, my mistake :oops:

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Sep 15 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

QUOTE (Metasigil)
To JonathanC, a high strength troll is awesome if you know the secret of "The Troll Archer". A Troll with a high STR bow does amazing damage, has great range, and a bow is 100% legal to walk down the street with. Sure, it's no Panther Auto Cannon, but it's almost as good, especially if they put out the old special arrows from Cannon Companion in Arsenal. (And Panther Autocannons are super cheesy and always have been, not to mention having terrible, confusing Fluff. What Recoil I ask :? ) Good God I love Troll Archers. Give it a Staff, and you have a modern Robin Hood of DOOM. :D

lol you think panther cannons are cheesy, when a bow can do twice as much damage in the hands of a troll? Legally, with 2 availability, and no noise?

Bows were one of the first things I houseruled against...

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Sep 16 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Try an adept troll, with missile mastery, quickdraw and 4 levels in power throw
Throws farther than a heavy pistol, does more damage (9P from a strength of 9), all from a bag of gravel, coins, marbles, etc...
:D

+Quote Post
Valrus
post Sep 16 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #25

Target

my apologies, my intention was to ask about a printing error, not re-start an arguement, which I'm sure had come up before, always does.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.