Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pilot/Agent using LinguaSoft or Knowsoft
DireRadiant
post Sep 22 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #1

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Can a Pilot or Agent use a Linguasoft or knowsoft if it was loaded?

I can envision a scenario where a piloted system or agent might want to be able to react to translated communications in other languages?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 22 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,951

As a LinguaSoft is allowed to run as a translation program, they could.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 22 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i would say no... iirc, skillsofts in general are based on simsense, which is based on interaction with the human mind, is it not?

however, that being said, i would certainly allow the purchasing of an "encyclopedia" program, and an agent could use data search to find information within it. naturally, the more money you spend building the library, and the better the data search program (and the better the agent), the better the information you will get.

as far as linguasofts, i would say that agents can most certainly use something similar to a linguasoft, just it wouldn't be simsense based. they should be quite cheap, really, since agents essentially would come with those built in, IMO.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 22 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Jaid)
i would say no... iirc, skillsofts in general are based on simsense, which is based on interaction with the human mind, is it not?

Indeed, but LinguaSoft are an exception:

QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p321, Linguasoft)
Linguasofts may also be used as real-time translation programs.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 22 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #5

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

So Linguasoft looks ok. I think knowsofts are right out, along with active softs. But I think data softs would be useful along with the data search programs as far as simulating a knowledge skill for a Pilot/Agent program. That all sound reasonable?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 22 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

datasofts?

i only remember 3 skillsoft types... active, lingua, and know...

anyways, i would probably not allow anything simsense based. i would certainly allow a library of sorts, and at a much cheaper cost too, which would act more or less the same way. (actually, you could probably build the library pretty easily for free. i'd make you buy some extra storage though... it would basically be the equivalent to downloading wikipedia and news websites, and just building them into a library for your personal use... point being, all that stuff is gonna be some dang big files!)

+Quote Post
Domino
post Sep 22 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,800

Know and lingua are glorified datasofts really with widgets and doohickeys to interpret the data so it can be useful to you.

While Datasofts are just data, without the magical algorithms and queries to easily find what you need in a nanosecond.

Forgive my use of highly technical jargon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.