IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Life after Nigel D. Findley., What other books should I read?
emo samurai
post Sep 29 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I'm close to finishing all of Nigel D. Findley's books. Which others should I read? I heard the Secrets of Power trilogy is good; what else? The Dragonheart Trilogy? :vegm:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeb.hillard
post Sep 29 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,965

Secrets of Power is good, not only because Bob Charette wrote it, but because it introduces several of the "iconic" characters in the novels. Sally, Dodger, Kahm, and the baddest-motherfucker-alive, Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 29 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #3

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Ghost is cool.

I really liked Changeling, regardless of it's "objective" quality. And yeah, SoP is probably still my favorite set.

+Quote Post
zeb.hillard
post Sep 29 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,965

QUOTE (eidolon)
Ghost is cool.

I really liked Changeling, regardless of it's "objective" quality. And yeah, SoP is probably still my favorite set.

Cool!?!

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 29 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I agree on Changeling. Not necessarily a high quality book, but very enjoyable. And that makes it a high quality book. That was a character I genuinely empathized with, and that's cool. In general, the farther away from big hodoo magic the books get, the better they are.

With the exception of Shadowboxer. Low magic in that book, but its disjointed plot, rampant setting contradictions, and general episodicness make it a book that can easily be avoided.

Seriously, the protagonist of the book is a guy who goblinized into a Dwarf (!), then he gets killed about 40% of the way into the book (!) and the mercenaries that he hired to keep him safe decide to continue the mission even though they aren't paid (!), except that one of them turns out to be a traitor who turns on them after they jeopardize a multi-billion dollar deep sea station belonging to her real employer (!), and then they all decide to forgive each other and work together again (!), and go home happy without having accomplished anything at all (!).

It was like roller coaster geneaated by random Shadowrun event tables. And now you're... 3256... going to be sneaking on board a pirate submarine...

-Frank

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 29 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #6

ghostrider

I don't think I finished Shadowboxer. Actually, I gave a bunch of the novels to a friend in HI, and now I'm sorta regretting it.

I kept 2XS and SoP though, and maybe a few others. :D

Loosely related to the meandering focus, what did everyone think of Striper Assassin by Nix Smyth (I think)?

+Quote Post
Cleremond
post Oct 5 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,813

Even though I REALLY enjoyed all the Findley novels (Good ol' Dirk Montgomery is the man!)....I also really liked the Mel Odem's Jack Skater novels ("Preying for Keeps" and "Headhunters"), but without a doubt....the best Shadowrun novel written is........

*drum roll*

"Burning Bright"

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 5 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I always dug Dead Air.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Oct 5 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

Though not official novels Shapcano has one of the largest collections of SR stories, as well as a few self written novels.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 5 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Burning Bright was awesome. Striper Assassin and everything with associated with that damn chicha stunk. The books with Skater I really liked. Shadowboxer, I agree , I didn't see a point to it, but sadly finished it anyways. Some of the character backgrounds were interesting. Stop reading after 50 pages and you're good really. Wolf and Raven was good, as is most stuff by Michael Stackpole.

And yeah, Shapcano is a good place for stories. Try Winterhawk's Mage Space for more of Robyn's work.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 5 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Heheheh... Stripper Assassin...

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 5 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Thanks Butthead... I think I just lost 5 more IQ points.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 5 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Huhuh...huhuh..huhuhuhuhuhuh....(Bobs head in time to laughs)

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Oct 9 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

i never really cared for nigel's style of writing...but burning bright was a good one. The anthology series was as well, just compensation, the one with bandit, the raccoon shame (both of them) secrets of power trilogy, dragon heart saga, might be a few others I'm forgetting

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 9 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I still like Night's Pawn the best, even though it does contain lost elements of SR1/2 (like grounding).

oh, and hi, Hocus! :wavey:

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 9 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #16

ghostrider

Outside his novels, I'm a big fan of Findley's sourcebook work. Aztlan jumps to mind.

He did a lot of work outside SR too.

(Now I'm feeling like this has been mentioned before...)

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Oct 10 2006, 04:05 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

QUOTE (Fortune)
I still like Night's Pawn the best, even though it does contain lost elements of SR1/2 (like grounding).

oh, and hi, Hocus! :wavey:

i see you twice today fortune, when ya comin' by so we can go down to the barely legal club in the quarter? the hurricane left that area realitively unscathed. i still got free cover charge passes, though i dunno if they'll still honor them.

fade to black was the one i think that had the bandit character. I looked over the novels on my bookcase the other day and man if I still can't remember the gist of the story even after reading the jacket. I'm getting too old *back cracking* oh, darn this lombego

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.