Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life after Nigel D. Findley.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
I'm close to finishing all of Nigel D. Findley's books. Which others should I read? I heard the Secrets of Power trilogy is good; what else? The Dragonheart Trilogy? vegm.gif
zeb.hillard
Secrets of Power is good, not only because Bob Charette wrote it, but because it introduces several of the "iconic" characters in the novels. Sally, Dodger, Kahm, and the baddest-motherfucker-alive, Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside.
eidolon
Ghost is cool.

I really liked Changeling, regardless of it's "objective" quality. And yeah, SoP is probably still my favorite set.
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (eidolon)
Ghost is cool.

I really liked Changeling, regardless of it's "objective" quality. And yeah, SoP is probably still my favorite set.

Cool!?!

[ Spoiler ]
FrankTrollman
I agree on Changeling. Not necessarily a high quality book, but very enjoyable. And that makes it a high quality book. That was a character I genuinely empathized with, and that's cool. In general, the farther away from big hodoo magic the books get, the better they are.

With the exception of Shadowboxer. Low magic in that book, but its disjointed plot, rampant setting contradictions, and general episodicness make it a book that can easily be avoided.

Seriously, the protagonist of the book is a guy who goblinized into a Dwarf (!), then he gets killed about 40% of the way into the book (!) and the mercenaries that he hired to keep him safe decide to continue the mission even though they aren't paid (!), except that one of them turns out to be a traitor who turns on them after they jeopardize a multi-billion dollar deep sea station belonging to her real employer (!), and then they all decide to forgive each other and work together again (!), and go home happy without having accomplished anything at all (!).

It was like roller coaster geneaated by random Shadowrun event tables. And now you're... 3256... going to be sneaking on board a pirate submarine...

-Frank
eidolon
I don't think I finished Shadowboxer. Actually, I gave a bunch of the novels to a friend in HI, and now I'm sorta regretting it.

I kept 2XS and SoP though, and maybe a few others. biggrin.gif

Loosely related to the meandering focus, what did everyone think of Striper Assassin by Nix Smyth (I think)?

Cleremond
Even though I REALLY enjoyed all the Findley novels (Good ol' Dirk Montgomery is the man!)....I also really liked the Mel Odem's Jack Skater novels ("Preying for Keeps" and "Headhunters"), but without a doubt....the best Shadowrun novel written is........

*drum roll*

"Burning Bright"
Critias
I always dug Dead Air.
Chance359
Though not official novels Shapcano has one of the largest collections of SR stories, as well as a few self written novels.
fistandantilus4.0
Burning Bright was awesome. Striper Assassin and everything with associated with that damn chicha stunk. The books with Skater I really liked. Shadowboxer, I agree , I didn't see a point to it, but sadly finished it anyways. Some of the character backgrounds were interesting. Stop reading after 50 pages and you're good really. Wolf and Raven was good, as is most stuff by Michael Stackpole.

And yeah, Shapcano is a good place for stories. Try Winterhawk's Mage Space for more of Robyn's work.
emo samurai
Heheheh... Stripper Assassin...
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks Butthead... I think I just lost 5 more IQ points.
emo samurai
Huhuh...huhuh..huhuhuhuhuhuh....(Bobs head in time to laughs)
Hocus Pocus
i never really cared for nigel's style of writing...but burning bright was a good one. The anthology series was as well, just compensation, the one with bandit, the raccoon shame (both of them) secrets of power trilogy, dragon heart saga, might be a few others I'm forgetting
Fortune
I still like Night's Pawn the best, even though it does contain lost elements of SR1/2 (like grounding).

oh, and hi, Hocus! wavey.gif
eidolon
Outside his novels, I'm a big fan of Findley's sourcebook work. Aztlan jumps to mind.

He did a lot of work outside SR too.

(Now I'm feeling like this has been mentioned before...)
Hocus Pocus
QUOTE (Fortune)
I still like Night's Pawn the best, even though it does contain lost elements of SR1/2 (like grounding).

oh, and hi, Hocus! wavey.gif

i see you twice today fortune, when ya comin' by so we can go down to the barely legal club in the quarter? the hurricane left that area realitively unscathed. i still got free cover charge passes, though i dunno if they'll still honor them.

fade to black was the one i think that had the bandit character. I looked over the novels on my bookcase the other day and man if I still can't remember the gist of the story even after reading the jacket. I'm getting too old *back cracking* oh, darn this lombego
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012