IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clarification on Spell Increased Reflexes, No need for greater than Force 4 spell?
Emod
post Oct 10 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,583

Hey all, new to the boards and SR4. The last ed I played was 2, so it's been a while.

I'm still trying to get accustomed to the new system and one very powerful spell in particular, Increased Reflexes, seemed a little odd to me. Just about every other spell has a purpose for casting at a greater Force (more damage, greater sense range, etc) with the exception of this one.

It would seem that, no matter what, there is never a need to cast the spell at any Force other than 3 or 4 (other than if you've got a 2 Magic). The Force limits the number of successes you can get, but there's no benefit to getting more than 4 successes, thus no need to cast it any greater. Now, granted we're looking at DV:4 here, but that's really not that bad for a decent mage using a fetish.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 10 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

If you go greater than force 4, you get bonuses to your initiative. That's about it. If I were gming, I'd say that after 4 successes, you'd get +2 to your initiative just so you don't get into the problem of diminishing returns.

+Quote Post
Emod
post Oct 10 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #3

Target

That's certainly a work around but it says "Threshold 4 (maximum)" leading me to believe that even with 5 success you wouldn't gain anymore Initiative.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 10 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

I guess it just makes it harder to dispel.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Oct 10 2006, 03:56 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Hey, at least it's one of those spells you know instantly that it has been dispelled. :D

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 10 2006, 04:04 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

pretty much you've got very few situations...

most of which ultimately tie in to "it's harder to dispel".

for example, it allows you to put more extra karma on a quickened version, which protects it from being dispelled better. iirc, it also protects it somewhat from astral barriers, does it not?

otherwise... well, there's a reason to do it lower: iirc, the best sustaining focus you can get at chargen is force 2. which can hold a max of a force 2 spell.

but that's about it.

+Quote Post
Emod
post Oct 10 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #7

Target

Cool. Thanks all for the quick replies. I was pretty sure I had it right, but wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything given I haven't actually played yet. Once my group starts playing I think I will push for Emo's extra Initiative +1 or 2, just to have some reason for high Force beyond the dispell, which is universal to all spells for higher Force.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Oct 10 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

FWIW, I've always thought this spell is (a) stupid and (b) should follow a hits-to-essence/power points correspondence with wired reflexes and the equivalent adept power. In other words, 2 hits for 2 IP, 3 hits for 3 IP, and 5 hits for 4 IP.

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 10 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (Emod)
Cool. Thanks all for the quick replies. I was pretty sure I had it right, but wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything given I haven't actually played yet. Once my group starts playing I think I will push for Emo's extra Initiative +1 or 2, just to have some reason for high Force beyond the dispell, which is universal to all spells for higher Force.

Isn't that a pretty good reason though (harder to dispel or counter)?

Force pretty much does a few things...caps the total success rolled, increases dispel/countering difficulty, determines the length of the astral signature and shows as part of the caster's aura.

I agree, that this spell is kinda funky in the way it works, but once another caster notices a hyped up PC using this, I am sure that dispelling will be coming, so that higher force will certainly be important.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 10 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Slithery D)
FWIW, I've always thought this spell is (a) stupid and (b) should follow a hits-to-essence/power points correspondence with wired reflexes and the equivalent adept power. In other words, 2 hits for 2 IP, 3 hits for 3 IP, and 5 hits for 4 IP.

My thinking is that 5PP for the Adept to get +3 IP is too steep a cost.

Keep in mind that the Essense loss from Wired Reflexes is not fixed, while the PP cost for Adepts is.

Along with Synaptic Boosters having too low an Essense Cost. I'd put them at 0.75 or 0.8 Essense per level.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 10 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

I run it on a 2 hits per extra pass gained threshold ie 2 for +1, 4 for +2 and 6 for +3. This makes it useful but not game breaking at force 4.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 10 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The maximum number of initative passes SHOULD be expensive. Wich it generally is, except for spellcasters. Those just need a low-powered spell with little drain.

The fix would be to increase the drain on increased reflexes. Although a higher threshold does achive that goal, I´d prefer a direct increase in order of keeping the current chance of a successfull cast.

Decreasing the cost of +3IP in other places leads to a faster group, escalating the number of needed enemies.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 10 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

I agree that increased reflexes can be nasty.

For the cost of 9 bp, you can get a sustaining focus, rating 3, bond it, and cast increased reflexes with 3 successes for +2 ip.

Sustaining +3 ip is harder, and must be done post creation.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 10 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #14

Dragon

QUOTE (Ryu @ Oct 10 2006, 10:03 AM)
Decreasing the cost of +3IP in other places leads to a faster group, escalating the number of needed enemies.

Dropping it from 5PP Adepts? Hogwash. The issue is that that cost is out of line with other options. Other non-spell options, specifically the bioware.

The spell doesn't bother me too much given the problems crossing barriers. Getting 4 successes isn't that easy unless you've got a good mittful of dice. The fact that there really isn't any reason to cast at Force 2 rather than 3 is irksome to me, but that's more of a general problem with casting. I guess you could switch to 2 - 4 - 6. But 6 hits is a LOT of hits. Having 1-3-5 is likely more in line, (drain of 2 boxes, 3 boxes, and 4 boxes). I guess it depends a lot on how you construct your world, how common wards are.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the mage either has to sustain it, arrange some sort of spell casting spirit to cast and sustain it, or have a focus in place. Having the focus also makes you vulnerable to astral disruption of the spell at all times by an astral form attacking the active focus.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 10 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #15

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

A starting mage can easily hit four hits when casting this one in my experience, six hits is not all that hard for an initiated mage to cast (and quicken), doing at even force prevents any drain rounding cheese.

I came to this descion when the team mage (with a whole 10 karma) gave three of the party 4 passes for a fight, it just sat wrong with me, so i talked to my players, they agreed and we've been running on a 2-4-6 set up since.

I also run adept and wireds cost 1.5 ess/magic a level and have changed the cost on Wireds to 15,000¥ per level. I haven't found any of this grossly inflates my need for enemies.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 10 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Ophis @ Oct 10 2006, 11:49 AM)
I came to this descion when the team mage (with a whole 10 karma) gave three of the party 4 passes for a fight

Stats on that mage? How many points of Edge did he use to do that? Because a starting mage can't have even one Sustaining Focus to hold a Force 4 spell. Even a fairly specialized mage focusing on Health spells is likely rolling with less than double digits for the 3rd spell. With 10 dice you only net 4 hits 1 in 3 castings. That means he'll likely be resisting 4 boxes of drain 2 or 3 times, at -4 die for the Drain Test, just to get that 3rd spell up.

Or summoning a fairly beefy Spirit of Man for each spell. Because even a Force 5 spirit is once again only going to be able to land that spell 1 in 3 times.

I also run adept and wireds cost 1.5 ess/magic a level and have changed the cost on Wireds to 15,000¥ per level. I haven't found any of this grossly inflates my need for enemies.

That sounds about right for Adepts. I don't know abut Wired Reflexes, haven't looked too closely at that. I'm OK with cyberware taking somewhat of a backseat to bioware, but that's more a flavour issue since they are both implants.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 10 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

I have to agree with the argument that adept improved reflexes is a wee on the expensive side.

When you can get bioware 3, for 1.5 essence (2 magic points), instead of paying 5 magic points for reflexes 3.

Get the bioware, synaptic booster 3, and add in .5 essence of beta cyberware (like a commlink, eyes, etc..).

I may drop costs for improved reflexes to 1, 2 and 3 magic points. Keep it in line with the rest.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 10 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Oct 10 2006, 12:13 PM)
I may drop costs for improved reflexes to 1, 2 and 3 magic points. Keep it in line with the rest.

That might be cheapening it a little too much. 1PP is a little low for what you're getting, even the +2IP for 2PP. I'd also definately keep the +3IP option at 4PP or higher. At 3PP you have enough PP leftover for a serious AWESOME ;) flying wung-fu Adept right out the gate. Even for emo's games it might be a bit much considering his other 'tweaks' to punch up the AWESOME of Adepts.

I guess that's why I dig the 1.5PP/level so much?

Plus if you raise the Synaptic Booster essense to 0.8/level then it starts making sense to even consider something other than bioware for Adepts without dropping the PP cost of Increased Reflexes down as far as you suggest.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 10 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

1,2,3 is far too low.

Right now, only the most dedicated of adepts can get 4 ips out of the gate.

For 3 points, everyone and their dog would have it.

I too like the 1.5

That means +1 costs you a half point more than synaptic boosters 2, but 32 bp less. +2 costs you about the same as wired 2, but doesn't cost BP. +3 is still a sizable chunk, but you can actually get 4 init passes, and a few extra abilities to make use of them....

+Quote Post
knasser
post Oct 10 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #20

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I don't mind it being expensive for adepts. If you smear every method of doing something down to the same as every other method, then you destroy the Rock, Paper, Scissors of different character types. Samurai find it easier to be super fast. Adepts find it easier to go toe to toe with spirits. And you can go on.

There's almost nothing that any given character type can do that another type can't simulate. But they each have natural aptitudes and that's what makes character choices interesting and game-styles distinct.

My 0.02 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 10 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Strange for me to say, power-gamer that I am, but I agree with knasser.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 10 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Ah well,
I was mostly shaking my head over the fact that it is easier for an adept to get bioware than increased reflexes.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 10 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

And that's certainly a viable option for the character. But he would end up paying in other areas, as I am sure you know.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 10 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

I have only received scorn for suggesting that he would end up paying for it in other ways. I think the common argument is that the bioware option is superior in every way...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 10 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Pretty much true, with the exception of the hit to an Adept's Magic and the associated Healing penalties (if any) and other problems coming from lower Essence.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.