Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clarification on Spell Increased Reflexes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Emod
Hey all, new to the boards and SR4. The last ed I played was 2, so it's been a while.

I'm still trying to get accustomed to the new system and one very powerful spell in particular, Increased Reflexes, seemed a little odd to me. Just about every other spell has a purpose for casting at a greater Force (more damage, greater sense range, etc) with the exception of this one.

It would seem that, no matter what, there is never a need to cast the spell at any Force other than 3 or 4 (other than if you've got a 2 Magic). The Force limits the number of successes you can get, but there's no benefit to getting more than 4 successes, thus no need to cast it any greater. Now, granted we're looking at DV:4 here, but that's really not that bad for a decent mage using a fetish.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
emo samurai
If you go greater than force 4, you get bonuses to your initiative. That's about it. If I were gming, I'd say that after 4 successes, you'd get +2 to your initiative just so you don't get into the problem of diminishing returns.
Emod
That's certainly a work around but it says "Threshold 4 (maximum)" leading me to believe that even with 5 success you wouldn't gain anymore Initiative.
emo samurai
I guess it just makes it harder to dispel.
Konsaki
Hey, at least it's one of those spells you know instantly that it has been dispelled. biggrin.gif
Jaid
pretty much you've got very few situations...

most of which ultimately tie in to "it's harder to dispel".

for example, it allows you to put more extra karma on a quickened version, which protects it from being dispelled better. iirc, it also protects it somewhat from astral barriers, does it not?

otherwise... well, there's a reason to do it lower: iirc, the best sustaining focus you can get at chargen is force 2. which can hold a max of a force 2 spell.

but that's about it.
Emod
Cool. Thanks all for the quick replies. I was pretty sure I had it right, but wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything given I haven't actually played yet. Once my group starts playing I think I will push for Emo's extra Initiative +1 or 2, just to have some reason for high Force beyond the dispell, which is universal to all spells for higher Force.
Slithery D
FWIW, I've always thought this spell is (a) stupid and (b) should follow a hits-to-essence/power points correspondence with wired reflexes and the equivalent adept power. In other words, 2 hits for 2 IP, 3 hits for 3 IP, and 5 hits for 4 IP.
deek
QUOTE (Emod)
Cool. Thanks all for the quick replies. I was pretty sure I had it right, but wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything given I haven't actually played yet. Once my group starts playing I think I will push for Emo's extra Initiative +1 or 2, just to have some reason for high Force beyond the dispell, which is universal to all spells for higher Force.

Isn't that a pretty good reason though (harder to dispel or counter)?

Force pretty much does a few things...caps the total success rolled, increases dispel/countering difficulty, determines the length of the astral signature and shows as part of the caster's aura.

I agree, that this spell is kinda funky in the way it works, but once another caster notices a hyped up PC using this, I am sure that dispelling will be coming, so that higher force will certainly be important.
blakkie
QUOTE (Slithery D)
FWIW, I've always thought this spell is (a) stupid and (b) should follow a hits-to-essence/power points correspondence with wired reflexes and the equivalent adept power. In other words, 2 hits for 2 IP, 3 hits for 3 IP, and 5 hits for 4 IP.

My thinking is that 5PP for the Adept to get +3 IP is too steep a cost.

Keep in mind that the Essense loss from Wired Reflexes is not fixed, while the PP cost for Adepts is.

Along with Synaptic Boosters having too low an Essense Cost. I'd put them at 0.75 or 0.8 Essense per level.
Ophis
I run it on a 2 hits per extra pass gained threshold ie 2 for +1, 4 for +2 and 6 for +3. This makes it useful but not game breaking at force 4.

Ryu
The maximum number of initative passes SHOULD be expensive. Wich it generally is, except for spellcasters. Those just need a low-powered spell with little drain.

The fix would be to increase the drain on increased reflexes. Although a higher threshold does achive that goal, IŽd prefer a direct increase in order of keeping the current chance of a successfull cast.

Decreasing the cost of +3IP in other places leads to a faster group, escalating the number of needed enemies.
lorechaser
I agree that increased reflexes can be nasty.

For the cost of 9 bp, you can get a sustaining focus, rating 3, bond it, and cast increased reflexes with 3 successes for +2 ip.

Sustaining +3 ip is harder, and must be done post creation.

blakkie
QUOTE (Ryu @ Oct 10 2006, 10:03 AM)
Decreasing the cost of +3IP in other places leads to a faster group, escalating the number of needed enemies.

Dropping it from 5PP Adepts? Hogwash. The issue is that that cost is out of line with other options. Other non-spell options, specifically the bioware.

The spell doesn't bother me too much given the problems crossing barriers. Getting 4 successes isn't that easy unless you've got a good mittful of dice. The fact that there really isn't any reason to cast at Force 2 rather than 3 is irksome to me, but that's more of a general problem with casting. I guess you could switch to 2 - 4 - 6. But 6 hits is a LOT of hits. Having 1-3-5 is likely more in line, (drain of 2 boxes, 3 boxes, and 4 boxes). I guess it depends a lot on how you construct your world, how common wards are.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the mage either has to sustain it, arrange some sort of spell casting spirit to cast and sustain it, or have a focus in place. Having the focus also makes you vulnerable to astral disruption of the spell at all times by an astral form attacking the active focus.
Ophis
A starting mage can easily hit four hits when casting this one in my experience, six hits is not all that hard for an initiated mage to cast (and quicken), doing at even force prevents any drain rounding cheese.

I came to this descion when the team mage (with a whole 10 karma) gave three of the party 4 passes for a fight, it just sat wrong with me, so i talked to my players, they agreed and we've been running on a 2-4-6 set up since.

I also run adept and wireds cost 1.5 ess/magic a level and have changed the cost on Wireds to 15,000„ per level. I haven't found any of this grossly inflates my need for enemies.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ophis @ Oct 10 2006, 11:49 AM)
I came to this descion when the team mage (with a whole 10 karma) gave three of the party 4 passes for a fight

Stats on that mage? How many points of Edge did he use to do that? Because a starting mage can't have even one Sustaining Focus to hold a Force 4 spell. Even a fairly specialized mage focusing on Health spells is likely rolling with less than double digits for the 3rd spell. With 10 dice you only net 4 hits 1 in 3 castings. That means he'll likely be resisting 4 boxes of drain 2 or 3 times, at -4 die for the Drain Test, just to get that 3rd spell up.

Or summoning a fairly beefy Spirit of Man for each spell. Because even a Force 5 spirit is once again only going to be able to land that spell 1 in 3 times.

I also run adept and wireds cost 1.5 ess/magic a level and have changed the cost on Wireds to 15,000„ per level. I haven't found any of this grossly inflates my need for enemies.

That sounds about right for Adepts. I don't know abut Wired Reflexes, haven't looked too closely at that. I'm OK with cyberware taking somewhat of a backseat to bioware, but that's more a flavour issue since they are both implants.
Mistwalker
I have to agree with the argument that adept improved reflexes is a wee on the expensive side.

When you can get bioware 3, for 1.5 essence (2 magic points), instead of paying 5 magic points for reflexes 3.

Get the bioware, synaptic booster 3, and add in .5 essence of beta cyberware (like a commlink, eyes, etc..).

I may drop costs for improved reflexes to 1, 2 and 3 magic points. Keep it in line with the rest.
blakkie
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Oct 10 2006, 12:13 PM)
I may drop costs for improved reflexes to 1, 2 and 3 magic points. Keep it in line with the rest.

That might be cheapening it a little too much. 1PP is a little low for what you're getting, even the +2IP for 2PP. I'd also definately keep the +3IP option at 4PP or higher. At 3PP you have enough PP leftover for a serious AWESOME wink.gif flying wung-fu Adept right out the gate. Even for emo's games it might be a bit much considering his other 'tweaks' to punch up the AWESOME of Adepts.

I guess that's why I dig the 1.5PP/level so much?

Plus if you raise the Synaptic Booster essense to 0.8/level then it starts making sense to even consider something other than bioware for Adepts without dropping the PP cost of Increased Reflexes down as far as you suggest.
lorechaser
1,2,3 is far too low.

Right now, only the most dedicated of adepts can get 4 ips out of the gate.

For 3 points, everyone and their dog would have it.

I too like the 1.5

That means +1 costs you a half point more than synaptic boosters 2, but 32 bp less. +2 costs you about the same as wired 2, but doesn't cost BP. +3 is still a sizable chunk, but you can actually get 4 init passes, and a few extra abilities to make use of them....
knasser

I don't mind it being expensive for adepts. If you smear every method of doing something down to the same as every other method, then you destroy the Rock, Paper, Scissors of different character types. Samurai find it easier to be super fast. Adepts find it easier to go toe to toe with spirits. And you can go on.

There's almost nothing that any given character type can do that another type can't simulate. But they each have natural aptitudes and that's what makes character choices interesting and game-styles distinct.

My 0.02 nuyen.gif
Fortune
Strange for me to say, power-gamer that I am, but I agree with knasser.
Mistwalker
Ah well,
I was mostly shaking my head over the fact that it is easier for an adept to get bioware than increased reflexes.
Fortune
And that's certainly a viable option for the character. But he would end up paying in other areas, as I am sure you know.
Demerzel
I have only received scorn for suggesting that he would end up paying for it in other ways. I think the common argument is that the bioware option is superior in every way...
Fortune
Pretty much true, with the exception of the hit to an Adept's Magic and the associated Healing penalties (if any) and other problems coming from lower Essence.
lorechaser
There is the fact that it costs 160,000:nuyen: - that's a nice chunk of change, or 32 bp. Plus you still have to buy the magic point, so you're looking at 42 to get that.

Vs 30 bp for the adept power at the same level, so 12 bp.

Hmm. Okay, that doesn't seem as bad. wink.gif But you're still taking up 2/3 of your gear budget, if that matters to you.

But yeah, Synaptic 2 is almost always gonna be the way to go.
Jaid
of course, with SM you can geas your 4 IPs for a nice discount, and from there you can do some good stuff with the remaining point(s).
Ophis
QUOTE (blakkie)
Stats on that mage? How many points of Edge did he use to do that? Because a starting mage can't have even one Sustaining Focus to hold a Force 4 spell. Even a fairly specialized mage focusing on Health spells is likely rolling with less than double digits for the 3rd spell. With 10 dice you only net 4 hits 1 in 3 castings. That means he'll likely be resisting 4 boxes of drain 2 or 3 times, at -4 die for the Drain Test, just to get that 3rd spell up.

Or summoning a fairly beefy Spirit of Man for each spell. Because even a Force 5 spirit is once again only going to be able to land that spell 1 in 3 times.

Magic 6, Spellcasting 4, no bonus dice, he spent a couple of edge IIRC, the third rolls was damn good. He did spend the rest of the fight hiding in the basement rather than doing anything useful.

That sounds about right for Adepts. I don't know abut Wired Reflexes, haven't looked too closely at that. I'm OK with cyberware taking somewhat of a backseat to bioware, but that's more a flavour issue since they are both implants

They both appear to be working, at least one high karma PC converted from 3rd has delta wired based on these costs, seeing 100,000:nuyen: and .75 essence as a small price to pay for being able to turn them off.

Inu
Sammies can get essence-friendly cyberware... but adepts can initiate.
Fortune
QUOTE (Inu)
Sammies can get essence-friendly cyberware... but adepts can initiate.

The problem some people are having is that Adepts can have access to both.
Ryu
Most spellcasters will have at least a 10 dice-pool for spellcasting. DoesnŽt get much lower. Even those already have a decent chance of casting at max level.

Yes, the sustaining focus wonŽt be there at char gen. But thats also likely true for level 3 wired or adepts (costs of opportunity in either essence or power points).

Depending on the amount of money running in your game, synaptic accelerators are vastly superior to anything else or the higher end MBWs of the past - unaffordable. At chargen, the cost in BP is simply to high to consider more than level 1.

On the adept+bioware-"problem". Compare a well-build samurai to an adept. The adept will need augmentation to compete. I wonŽt stop them, as long as none of my players tries to bring an adept starting with 2 magic. Only to repeatedly loose and buy back the second point of magic. That would be cheap.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Ryu)
On the adept+bioware-"problem". Compare a well-build samurai to an adept. The adept will need augmentation to compete. I wonŽt stop them, as long as none of my players tries to bring an adept starting with 2 magic. Only to repeatedly loose and buy back the second point of magic. That would be cheap.

I would not allow the magic attribute to be bought off at the lowered end, but what the total magic attribute should be.

Ex.: 2 points essence loss, 3 points magic would be listed as MAGIC: 3(1)
If they wanted to increase magic, they would use the higher number.

On the cost of Improved Reflexes, I am not just thinking about chargen, but once the game get's rolling. If someone wanted to make an adept with no improved reflexes, no bioware at chargen, but planned on buying some alpha, beta or delta bioware down the road.... and used combat drugs to give him the boost until then...
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 10 2006, 05:17 PM)
And that's certainly a viable option for the character. But he would end up paying in other areas, as I am sure you know.

That is the problem. This has been gone through extensively here before. If you work through the numbers of "paying in other areas" it isn't even close. Synaptic Boosters > Increased Reflexes Powers. The only advantage to Increased Reflexes is that you can get your 4th IP at chargen, but to do so you basically hose your Adept. So Increased Reflexes's sole advantage, from powergaming perspective, isn't.
James McMurray
Increased Reflexes doesn't hose your ability to be healed by magic.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid)
of course, with SM you can geas your 4 IPs for a nice discount, and from there you can do some good stuff with the remaining point(s).

Geas for a discount? What "discount" is that? Do you realise how Geasa work now?
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Increased Reflexes doesn't hose your ability to be healed by magic.

Synaptic Boosters "hose" it? ohplease.gif
James McMurray
Not completely hose it, but make it harder.
lorechaser
Synaptic 2 decreases your essence by 1. So that's a -1 dice pool modifier to the casting player. That's a minor impact, really.

blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Oct 11 2006, 09:11 AM)

This has been hashed out THROUGHLY. Search for the threads.
lorechaser
QUOTE (blakkie)
Geas for a discount? What "discount" is that? Do you realise how Geasa work now?

There's an optional rule in SM that allows you to take a Geas to reduce the PP cost by 25%.
blakkie
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 11 2006, 10:07 AM)

There's an optional rule in SM that allows you to take a Geas to reduce the PP cost by 25%.

I got the impression that he was talking about the standard rules. Not altered rules.
James McMurray
QUOTE (blakkie)

Why? I'm not trying to prove anything, nor do I care to rehash old arguments. A claim was made that the only advantage of IR is a 4th IP at chargen. I pointed out that there is another advantage. Whether it's a good enough advantage to make the two wholly balanced is a matter of opinion. I personally don't think it is, but also don't think that cyber and IR need to be balanced with one another, as adapt vs. sammie balance should come by looking at each archetype as a gestalt, not a line-for-line comparison.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Oct 11 2006, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 11 2006, 10:31 AM)

...nor do I care to rehash old arguments.

Then don't. That's what I'm suggesting.
James McMurray
I made a factual statement which you argued against. How is that me rehashing old arguments?
Big D
How much would it cost to bribe the mage's talismonger/initiate contact into dropping a 4-karma quicken on you?

(Yes, the team mage can do the same thing; but I'm trying to get a feel for market value).
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I made a factual statement which you argued against. How is that me rehashing old arguments?

Bullshit. And it wasn't even factual. wobble.gif
James McMurray
So you're saying that Increased Reflexes does hose your ability to get healed? Or even hinders it as I clarified after your objection to the word hose?

Here's a brief timeline:

1) Someone says that IP #4 is the only thing that makes Incerased Reflexes better than cyberware.

2) I say that IR doesn't hose magical healing.

3) You object to the word "hose."

4) I change to "make it harder."

5) You tell me it's been hashed out already.

6) I say I'm not trying to prove anything, nor do I wish to drag up old arguments.

7) You say "then don't" This is akin to one kid saying "I'm done." and the other replying "yeah, you'd better be."

cool.gif I say I was only pointing out a fact and ask you what the heck you're talking about.

9) You call "bullshit" and claim that my statement was a lie.

So again I ask (somewhat less eloquently this time around): Huh?
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
9) You call "bullshit" and claim that my statement was a lie.

Are you really that stupid? For fucks sake reread. That goes for most of the rest of your supposed timeline. dead.gif
James McMurray
I was reading while I typed it, and each number is a post.

Perhaps you'd like to explain what it is I did that pissed you off so much instead of just cussing me out and expecting me to read your mind? If not I suppse we're done here.
blakkie
Every once in a while i run into someone so grossly lacking in cognitive skills that it becomes painfully obvious my life is much better by actively avoiding any interaction with them.

Congratulations, you just made the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012