Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Magic Errata, your help is appreciated
BookWyrm
post Oct 18 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,607

I'm still reading through Street Magic (hey, I do have something of a life), and although I haven't playtested anything from it yet, I happened to come across something in my 1st printing edition. If you have any discrepencies that are of nore, please do post them here. Thank you in advance.

On page 127, some of the text has been mis-printed with X'ed boxes. I have written the following;

Street Magic Errata
p.127: The first paragraph shorld start with "FAB III" in boldface, not blocked-out boxes.

The last sentence in the third paragraph sould read "(see Masking, p. 190, SR4)"

Under Guardian Vines, the third paragraph should start with "Black Guardian Vines" in boldface, not blacked-out boxes.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 18 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (BookWyrm)
I'm still reading through Street Magic (hey, I do have something of a life), and although I haven't playtested anything from it yet, I happened to come across something in my 1st printing edition. If you have any discrepencies that are of nore, please do post them here. Thank you in advance.

On page 127, some of the text has been mis-printed with X'ed boxes. I have written the following;

Street Magic Errata
p.127: The first paragraph shorld start with "FAB III" in boldface, not blocked-out boxes.

The last sentence in the third paragraph sould read "(see Masking, p. 190, SR4)"

Under Guardian Vines, the third paragraph should start with "Black Guardian Vines" in boldface, not blacked-out boxes.

Mine's got the same mis-print.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 18 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

All of the copies in the first [and only, at this time] printing do.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 18 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

If you find any other Eratta, post it here (ala the SR4 Erratta thread). I'll sticky this.

Bull

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 18 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

On page 176 the Counterstrike power lists as 0.5 PP per level, and it describes how the extra levels work. Each level gives an extra die on top of what the adept gets for successfully defending. However the table on page 186 lists it at a flat cost, not per level.

Linguistics power on page 177 doesn't appear to have any level relavent features, and the cost is given on page 177 as a flat cost. However in the table on page 186 the cost is given as per level.

Quick Draw is out of alphabetical order in the table on page 186.

As linked in the SR4 Erratta thread.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Oct 18 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

The manipulation spell "Aspected Mana Static" is listed on the Spell Table (p. 189) but its description is missing in the new spells section of the Grimoire chapter. (If the errata to this would be to add the spell description, and not to delete the table entry, you'd make a few Dumpshockers rather happy.)

Demonseed Elite has stated on his blog that he feels that his section on warding could have been worded better.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 18 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Thanks everyone. Bull, do Sticky this & let's keep it going.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 18 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (BookWyrm)
Bull, do Sticky this & let's keep it going.

It's been a Sticky for quite a while now. ;) :D

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 19 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Much thanks, Bull. :D

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Oct 19 2006, 03:56 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I was looking over one of my old threads that had been recently subjected to Thread Necromancy, and found this comment from Synner in response to one of my questions:

QUOTE (synner)
[*] When under the effect of a Hot Potato spell, how does a character "drop, remove, or otherwise disengage contact from" their own implants?

This is a mistake for future errata. Spells do not allow for the independent targeting of implanted cyberware. Unlike a gun or a piece of gear, there is nothing to target but the individual himself (since he’s paid Essence for the cyber and it is now part of him).

Looking at this a second time, I'm not sure that I agree. This mana illusion spell isn't targeting implants or even metal in general, it's targeting a person. It makes the person percieve the metal they're in contact with as burning hot, and I'm not entirely sure that the "paid essence for and is now a part of the body" line of reasoning lets the metal in the implant count as not metal.

However, because it was flagged as something to be addressed in the Street Magic errata, I'm listing it here.

====================

Another potential errata item from the same thread involves the rules for Geomancy on page 56:
Treat the geomantic ritual as if she were casting a spell with a Force equal to twice the site’s natural background count and with a threshold equal to twice
the site’s background count.

It's not clear from the text whether the threshold should be based off of the site's natural background count, or the site's current background count, an important distinction, considering the effects of spells such as mana static, and metamagics such as cleansing.

In the thread, Synner indicated that any references to background count in Geomancy should be considered to be the site's natural background count, but this should probably be explicitly spelled out, for both the Threshold of the ritual, and the number of months in a row you must repeat the ritual for the Geomancy to take effect.

====================

Also noted was the fact that there are no prices given for Astral Security Biologicals such as Awakened Ivy, GloMoss or the rest.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Oct 20 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

Here is a previous thread on this topic that strayed somewhat but still has several editing fixes and such. I would recommend a quick read through (it's less than two full pages) for inclusion in any corrections or errata.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 20 2006, 04:14 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Thanks, Slithery. I'll look it over & add it to my own printing. Maybe someone over at FanPro will notice & post a complete errata.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 20 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Maybe someone over at FanPro will notice & post a complete errata.

Well, two people who do work for FanPro have already posted in these respective threads, so let's hazard a guess that the errata is being worked on. ;)

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 20 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Excellent. :D

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 26 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

P 171
[sense] removal spell
4th line, "hat" should be "that"

p187
Spell table
Test description missing the letter "S", possibly more text

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 26 2006, 04:46 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

P 114
Astral Visibility table indicates under Other Factors
Background Count Inverse of Rating*

Then
* For example, a Rating 7 mana warp confers a -7 visibility penalty, [. . .]

Inverse is the wrong term, the correct term should be opposite.

The inverse of 7 is 1/7, the opposite of 7 is -7.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 26 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

p 172
Calm Animal spell, in the description "Calm Pack is are effect" should be "Calm Pack is area effect", or something to that effect.

p 189
Spell Table, Manipulation
Armor spell should have an asterisk next to it, as it is in the BBB.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 27 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #18

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

I don't know if this is errata or not, but the person who wrote the Ally Spirit rules was mentioning that the way they eventually were printed was wrong, and it may be a good idea to consider fixing them. It wouldn't be the first time that rules were essentially rewritten after the book was published, and at least this time it would be an actual errata and not an errata pretending to be an FAQ. :)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 27 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

The write up about Inhabitation needs some clarification: What attributes, skills, powers, abilities to use for each type of merge could be clearer.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 27 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #20

Decker on the Threshold

Another interesting point I think was discivered in the word-by-word dissections this forum made of the book was the following, taken from here:

1) Despite what the designers intended, what is actually stated in the book says that Possession-tradition allies have the Possession power in place of the Materialization Power. This is mainly because the specific rules regarding Possession-tradition mages, stating that they always use Possession instead of Materialization, override the general rule for Ally summoning which give Ally spirits Materialization by default.
2) This breaks with all previous editions, as allies traditionally always got materialization regardless of tradition. This is okay though, as so many other integral details have changed from SR1-3 to SR4 with regards to magic that continuity is no longer an issue (spirit summoning, Object Resistance, the mage/shaman divide, etc).
3) The main objection that remains is that it's not fair to give Possession traditions this one chance at a Materializing ally? So, conversely, does it mean that Materializing traditions should be allowed to get a Possession-based ally?

More discussion of the enormous balance problems associated with Ally spirits and Blood spirits deep in that thread as well.

(Edit): Also, Allies don't seem to have rules for how they handle Knowledge skills.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 27 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 27 2006, 12:37 AM)
I don't know if this is errata or not, but the person who wrote the Ally Spirit rules was mentioning that the way they eventually were printed was wrong, and it may be a good idea to consider fixing them. It wouldn't be the first time that rules were essentially rewritten after the book was published, and at least this time it would be an actual errata and not an errata pretending to be an FAQ. :)

This is not a case for errata since the changes are not "wrong," and in fact they were intentional. The author simply doesn't agree with them and had a different take on it than the developers. That being said at least one vital piece of information did end up missing from the Ally writeup that balances things significantly.

More discussion of the enormous balance problems associated with Ally spirits and Blood spirits deep in that thread as well.

As mentioned above Ally spirits are missing a small but important cap built into the design process. The Energy Drain (Karma) power will also be recieving a tweak that should correct Blood Spirits too.

Also, Allies don't seem to have rules for how they handle Knowledge skills.

Currently the text simply makes no distinction between normal and Knowledge skills so you can assume the price is the same. And yes, we did break with the previous tradition that Allies draw from the creator's mind and knowledge at creation.

+Quote Post
Jérémie
post Oct 27 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,208

QUOTE (Synner)
That being said at least one vital piece of information did end up missing from the Ally writeup that balances things significantly.

Explicitely saying what is that piece of information would help people playing SR4, pending the errata publication ;)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 28 2006, 02:05 AM
Post #23

Decker on the Threshold

It could be as simple as "Ally spirits cannot have a Force greater than 6," which I guess I could get behind.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 28 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #24

Running Target

This is going to be a lengthy Errata, if they ever decide to post it

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 28 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 185

It actually isn't. Besides a few minor spelling and layout fixes, the latest iteration of the Street Magic errata only has about 15 entries—the vast majority of which are one liners. The provisional FAQ is a bit longer, but we're trying to be inclusive.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.