Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Limiting Spellcasters
Garrowolf
post Oct 19 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,517

I know that I'm the one that usually is writing about things that would make magic users more powerful so this may throw people for a loop.

I decided to limit the magic attribute to 9 just like all the other abilities. You can initiate up to grade 9 as well, but you have to reach a magic of 5 in order to take your first initiation.

Physads are not screwed by this because I decided to allow them to gain physad abilities as metamagic. I was thinking about limiting certain physad abilities to metamagic only.
That way there would be a basic and an advanced list.

Part of the reason for this was reading about the increadibly powerful spells that could be generated at force 12 and higher (the posting about the spirit of man). I decided I didn't want to deal with that anywhere in the future.

I was also thinking of limiting Foci that you can use to half your magic rating. Low level foci (1-3) would be fairly cheap and not require strange materials. Above that you get more expensive. The ones with the expensive materials would be able to break this limit but would max out at 8 with anything higher then that would just be plot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 19 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I don’t think your going to achieve your desired result.

At magic 6 you can already cast force 12 spells (and my characters do, without worrying drain) in fact I wouldn’t want to get my magic above 8 because at that point I would loose the ability to magically heal my drain from force 9 spirits (the summoning of which became an every run occurrence).

A better method would be to make drain scary, for starters say that any damage afflicted buy drain can not be healed magically and is harder to treat with biotech, if that isn’t enough then increase the drain codes. This doesn’t make it harder to cast al powerful spells but it dose make the idea less attractive, even with magic 88 your still don’t have more than about 20 dice to resist the drain.

I think the limit on focus force is interesting. I think however it should come with a removal of the maximum number for foci bonded (change this number to in use), thus a magician could easily have a focus for everything, and spares in safe houses but could not have a single all powerful focus (remember no more than one focus can add to any single dice pool)

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Oct 19 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Wha about an unavoidable drain for overcasting. Say instead of resisting the physical overcasting drain you only convert it back to stun.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 19 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

I like that idea about the foci. Maybe I'll use that.

I was thinking about what if the drain from spells was not force/2 but force if you go over your magic rating. The other thing I was thinking was limiting overcasting to Magic + 3.

I was also thinking of limiting conjuring so that you can't overcast for spirits. They just won't show up. (Actually I didn't know that you could - is this how they are doing it?)

The other thing that might work is you can't summon anything over a certain power level without an extended ritual. You can only quick summon smaller spirits.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 19 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I remember a suggestion of counting the full amount of overcasting at full force for drain rather than halving it. Might be a bit much, but helps.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Oct 19 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Edward)
in fact I wouldn’t want to get my magic above 8 because at that point I would loose the ability to magically heal my drain from force 9 spirits (the summoning of which became an every run occurrence).

You can not magically heal damage done by drain.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 19 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #7

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Part of the reason for this was reading about the increadibly powerful spells that could be generated at force 12 and higher (the posting about the spirit of man). I decided I didn't want to deal with that anywhere in the future.

High Force spells are mostly a problem when overcasting (sure, you can get your Magic that high, theoretically, but in practice it costs so much to get there, that it hardly is a problem).

In order to restrict high Force spells somewhat, I have made Drain a lot tougher, when overcasting.

1) You suffer Drain twice, once physical and once stun, at the same DV, and you get to resist both with your full dice, of course.

2) Drain DV for overcasting is higher. You do not halve the Force points that go beyond your Magic. For example (spellcaster with Magic 5), a Force 5 Mana Bolt has a normal DV of 2, a Force 6 Mana Bolt has a DV of 3, a Force 7 Mana Bolt has a DV of 4, a Force 8 Mana Bolt has a DV of 5, and so on.

While it's quite similar when overcasting just a little, Drain grows twice as fast from that point onwards and the Drain from high overcastings becomes quite serious.

While it is still possible to cast high Force spells this way (without dying), people will think twice before overcasting that far routinely.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 19 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

And to be fair: Getting a magic rating of 10, even starting at 6, is obscene.

Assuming you have a magical group, you pay for each initiation.

You need Grade 4.

1: 11
2: 13
3: 16
4: 18

So that's 58.

Then you buy magic.

7: 21
8: 24
9: 27
10: 30.

So that's 102.

That's a total of 160 Karma to get to magic 10. And that doesn't increase your spellcasting dice or drain resistance, so at magic 10, 160 karma later, you're still using, say, 11 dice to cast and 10 to resist.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 19 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #9

jacked in

Actually, it does increase spellcasting dice. :)

It's pretty much the point of Magic to increase the dice pools for active magical tests.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 19 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

It does increase by your magic - I was referring more towards your spellcasting pool, power foci, etc.

+Quote Post
CradleWorm
post Oct 19 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,210

Actually, I think the best way to fix this problem is to not allow magicians to magically heal damage from drain.

This is a house rule that I have implemented in my own games and it seems to be very effective at controlling overcasting.

Also, you might want to take a good look at the number of karma your giving out in a night. A good evening should result in 4-5 karma. Thats not just team awards, but total for the player.

To get a magic of 9, you have to spend to get initiation and magic and assuming your character starts at a 6 for magic you spend 119 of karma...

Initiate 1 - 13
Initiate 2 - 16
Initiate 3 - 18

Magic 7 - 21
Magic 8 - 24
Magic 9 - 27

Even if your character is getting all 5 karma every night that is still 23 game sessions to raise your magic that high.

My group plays once a week... so thats 23 weeks to do it. And for 23 weeks of effort they can now cast force 9 spells without taking physical drain, but if they cast them at force 10 they still can get hurt and can't heal it.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 19 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #12

jacked in

Uhm...

You said, with Magic 10 you are still rolling 11 dice to cast... that's only with a Spellcasting skill of 1 (and no other bonuses).

Magic directly adds into spellcasting dice pools, because they calculate like Magic+Spellcasting(+other).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (CradleWorm @ Oct 20 2006, 07:01 AM)
Actually, I think the best way to fix this problem is to not allow magicians to magically heal damage from drain.

This is a house rule that I have implemented in my own games and it seems to be very effective at controlling overcasting.

That is not a house rule. That is canon! It just hasn't been spelled out explicitly enough as of yet. That should change in either the forthcoming errata or the long-awaited FAQ.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 20 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Okay let me put it another way

It's not just that I'm limiting my PCs. I'm limiting magic in the my setting. No human spellcaster will be able to do more then a force 12 spell. Overcasting would be limited to magic +3. I'm thinking about getting rid of power foci.

I like to magic to be versitile and useful but I don't want the power level that high in the setting. Only Dragons would be able to go past that, and if you see one of those in one of my games then I have decided to kill your character off.

I can't see any character that would not be totally disruptive to my game, even as an NPC, that powerful. Therefore they don't exist. I think if a GM pulls out a character like that then the PCs are going to feel railroaded too much. They are going to be staring at the man behind the curtain too much wondering why he has lost his nut.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 20 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i suppose you could do that. the main thing that needs doing though, imo, is to drop the power of magic when someone has at the upper end of chargen. i don't think people are worried about the power level of grade 12 initiates, because they are supposed to be insanely powerful. furthermore, by the time you've gotten even halfway there, the group has probably retired, or created houserules to allow nonmagical characters indefinite progression, since they've run out of useful stuff to spend karma on long ago.

the main thing i would say (and you've got a fairly good houserul there IMO) is to limit the upper end of chargen spellcasters/summoners. force 12. this means that a magic 6 character could, at most, summon force 9 spirits of man, which can cast force 12 spells at best... still scary, but not nearly as bad as the force 24 spells which were previously possible from force 12 spirits.

furthermore, this does a lot to make the lower magic ratings a bit more viable. thus, someone could take the quality that causes them to awaken later in life (or they could build someone who has only just recently become a magician, and has magic rating 1 or 2) and they will actually be able to be somewhat useful.

consider the overcasting = magic + 3 houserule yoinked for any game i GM =P

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 20 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Glad you like it.

I was also thinking about how to keep the spirits more reasonable. Maybe either do the same thing for spirits as for overcasting. The other thing was thinking was what if it took metamagic to overcast summoning at all.

On the other hand I don't want spirits to go pif too easily and I don't want to make them too powerful just to make them last longer. Maybe alter the immunity to normal weapons power but to what?

BTW I've got my rules so far on my website if your interested

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 20 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #17

Awakened Asset

The contacts alone are worth a visit, even if you like me don´t care that much for house rules. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Oct 20 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

You could also go Old School, and simply remove the (F/2) section from drain code and make it F +/- modifier.

This makes spellcasting a BEAR, and it'll slow 'em way down.

"Manaball, Force 8! Hah!"

"Okaydokie. That's an Overcast, so, take a drain vs 8 Phsyical."

"... owie ..."

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 20 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

how far back does that go? iirc, it was F/2 in SR3 as well, was it not? (though of course, in SR3 the really nasty spells could deal deadly drain, even if the power of that deadly drain was low... )

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 20 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 21 2006, 09:42 AM)
how far back does that go? iirc, it was F/2 in SR3 as well, was it not? (though of course, in SR3 the really nasty spells could deal deadly drain, even if the power of that deadly drain was low... )

Even in SR3 it was an optional rule for GMs that desired Magic to be a bit harder to cast. As far as I know, it is still listed among the options in SR4.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 21 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #21

Awakened Asset

Full force in drain calculation would be as crippling as it was back in the day. You´d just see ultra-drain-effective spells from that day on.

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Oct 21 2006, 03:58 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,299

Um... Hey, what if we all house rule that damage from drain cannot be healed by magic.

:silly: Sorry Fortune, I couldn't help myself

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 21 2006, 04:25 AM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

's alright. ;)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 21 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #24

jacked in

QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
Um... Hey, what if we all house rule that damage from drain cannot be healed by magic.

I dislike this rule (always did), because it seems silly, that damage from Drain is in some way different than normal damage. That kinda defies the point of having it do damage in the first place. There are other ways to achieve a similar result.

So, I will always use the rule (or optional rule), that Drain can be healed normally.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 21 2006, 05:27 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

You need to keep in mind that Force: 12 spells are NOT that game-breaking. All that they are, really, are spells that have a decent chance of a one-shot takedown. And with counterspelling and Edge, even a Force: 12 spell won't automatically work. Plus, pity the spellcaster who gets a critical glitch.

In SR3, you could get the same effect with a Force: 6 manabolt cast at D damage - the difference being that you weren't taking physical damage from Drain, and with all of the options available to spellcasters (elemental aid, foci, totem or elemental mage bonuses), you could often take out a target and suffer NO Drain at all.

However, there is one thing that I agree with you on. I, too, dislike how there are hard caps for everything else, but not magic. Magic being able to eventually surpass everything else was a problem in previous editions, too, but limiting everything else exacerbates the problem. Yeah, it may take that mage 160 karma to improve his magic to 10, but at least he can DO that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.