Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mount Kilimanjaro Rail Gun
FlakJacket
post Oct 31 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

So what ever happened with this this? I've had a quick skim through the main Fourth Edition book and it doesn't seem to be mentioned. Runner Havens has a brief mention of 'the Corporate Court nation-building forces around Kilimanjaro' as of 2068 which leads me to think they're trying to cobble the local Tanzanian government back together. Which is odd since you would have thought simply having the neighbouring Kenyan government annex the area would have been easier, but I digress. I haven't been able to to find anything that says definitively one way or the other if the Corporate Court forces managed to kill off all the spirits and if so have they completed the rail gun by 2070.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 31 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Mystery Archaeologist

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,760

Last thing I saw mentioned was that they had used big ritual magic to kill all the local spirits and building was progressing well. This was in SOTA 64

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Oct 31 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

Was it an orbital launcher or a weapon?

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 31 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Orbital launcher, IIRC

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 31 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Although I imagine a hijacked orbital launcher could be used for destructive purposes.
Hmmmm, I'm getting ideas.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 31 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Why highjack it?
Just hack in and reprogram the pulse that launches it, to take out orbital targets, or any other target along the equator.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 31 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Because you want to put a special payload in it, because the control system is isolated from the matrix for that very reason, because the other people who already hijacked it are there and you have to get to them, because the GM wants it to be that way *handwave handwave*.
I don't know, but it sounds like fun to me.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Although I imagine a hijacked orbital launcher could be used for destructive purposes.
Hmmmm, I'm getting ideas.

Why use an orbital launcher? Entirely unnecessary. Use a spirit to take your satellite/missile/whatever up as high as it can go then boost from there. Hell we have monowire strung between two toasters up there along with a nuke controlled by an AI from a coffee machine.

Orbital launchers are just for extremely heavy payloads and trust me you don't need one of those to do damage.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 1 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Something propelled by a spirit still needs to move on its own - would still greatly increase the payload of any orbital missile though.

If you go for extremly heavy payloads, combine a large orbial launcher with a self-propelled(later stage) vehicle and a spirit. Doesn´t require exact calculation of ballistic trajectory (useful since magic is involved) and can handle MUCH weight.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 1 2006, 09:57 AM)
Something propelled by a spirit still needs to move on its own - would still greatly increase the payload of any orbital missile though.

If you go for extremly heavy payloads, combine a large orbial launcher with a self-propelled(later stage) vehicle and a spirit. Doesn´t require exact calculation of ballistic trajectory (useful since magic is involved) and can handle MUCH weight.

Oh I know, it needs to move after the spirit releases it. But you're already really high up so the fuel requirements are lower. Nobody said you had to start the engines at sea level.

It is limited by how big a spirit you can summon and consequently how much it can carry.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 1 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Yes it does. The movement power just multiplies your basic speed.

Using the spirit as a physical carrier will be very limited in performance - a few hundred kg at most. Compare that to spacecraft with the relative utility load of a standard airplane...

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 1 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #12

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Draconis)
Why use an orbital launcher? Entirely unnecessary. Use a spirit to take your satellite/missile/whatever up as high as it can go then boost from there. Hell we have monowire strung between two toasters up there along with a nuke controlled by an AI from a coffee machine.

Orbital launchers are just for extremely heavy payloads and trust me you don't need one of those to do damage.

Use it as an assasination tool against Great Dragons. Even Lofwyr can't do much in a mana void.

You just have to get them to sit in it.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 1 2006, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Use it as an assasination tool against Great Dragons. Even Lofwyr can't do much in a mana void.

I suspect GDs have metamagics that help them supress the whole dual natured bit or possibly to carry a manaflow with them like a mobile filtering effect or really fast temporary cleansing.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 1 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Draconis)
QUOTE (Draconis)

I suspect GDs have metamagics that help them supress the whole dual natured bit or possibly to carry a manaflow with them like a mobile filtering effect or really fast temporary cleansing.

I'm out dead-panned. :(

Um, you did realise I was joking, didn't you?

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 2 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Joke? What is this joke you speak of?

Yes :D , but you think someone won't try something wacky like that?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 3 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #16

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 2 2006, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 1 2006, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Joke? What is this joke you speak of?

Yes :D , but you think someone won't try something wacky like that?

I'd love someone to try something like this. I mean how do you persuade a dragon into the capsule?

Dress it up with a big false front like a big-top and a carnival sign saying princess and virgin convention 2072?

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 3 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 3 2006, 05:57 PM)

I'd love someone to try something like this. I mean how do you persuade a dragon into the capsule?

Dress it up with a big false front like a big-top and a carnival sign saying princess and virgin convention 2072?

I like your style Knasser, hmmm must be my half british blood. That's a good start but you could also offer them 6.5 million nuyen to get in. Right Frank? :eek:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.