Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mount Kilimanjaro Rail Gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
So what ever happened with this this? I've had a quick skim through the main Fourth Edition book and it doesn't seem to be mentioned. Runner Havens has a brief mention of 'the Corporate Court nation-building forces around Kilimanjaro' as of 2068 which leads me to think they're trying to cobble the local Tanzanian government back together. Which is odd since you would have thought simply having the neighbouring Kenyan government annex the area would have been easier, but I digress. I haven't been able to to find anything that says definitively one way or the other if the Corporate Court forces managed to kill off all the spirits and if so have they completed the rail gun by 2070.
Ophis
Last thing I saw mentioned was that they had used big ritual magic to kill all the local spirits and building was progressing well. This was in SOTA 64
Glayvin34
Was it an orbital launcher or a weapon?
Mistwalker
Orbital launcher, IIRC
Moon-Hawk
Although I imagine a hijacked orbital launcher could be used for destructive purposes.
Hmmmm, I'm getting ideas.
Mistwalker
Why highjack it?
Just hack in and reprogram the pulse that launches it, to take out orbital targets, or any other target along the equator.
Moon-Hawk
Because you want to put a special payload in it, because the control system is isolated from the matrix for that very reason, because the other people who already hijacked it are there and you have to get to them, because the GM wants it to be that way *handwave handwave*.
I don't know, but it sounds like fun to me.
Draconis
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Although I imagine a hijacked orbital launcher could be used for destructive purposes.
Hmmmm, I'm getting ideas.

Why use an orbital launcher? Entirely unnecessary. Use a spirit to take your satellite/missile/whatever up as high as it can go then boost from there. Hell we have monowire strung between two toasters up there along with a nuke controlled by an AI from a coffee machine.

Orbital launchers are just for extremely heavy payloads and trust me you don't need one of those to do damage.

Ryu
Something propelled by a spirit still needs to move on its own - would still greatly increase the payload of any orbital missile though.

If you go for extremly heavy payloads, combine a large orbial launcher with a self-propelled(later stage) vehicle and a spirit. Doesn´t require exact calculation of ballistic trajectory (useful since magic is involved) and can handle MUCH weight.
Draconis
QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 1 2006, 09:57 AM)
Something propelled by a spirit still needs to move on its own - would still greatly increase the payload of any orbital missile though.

If you go for extremly heavy payloads, combine a large orbial launcher with a self-propelled(later stage) vehicle and a spirit. Doesn´t require exact calculation of ballistic trajectory (useful since magic is involved) and can handle MUCH weight.

Oh I know, it needs to move after the spirit releases it. But you're already really high up so the fuel requirements are lower. Nobody said you had to start the engines at sea level.

It is limited by how big a spirit you can summon and consequently how much it can carry.
Ryu
Yes it does. The movement power just multiplies your basic speed.

Using the spirit as a physical carrier will be very limited in performance - a few hundred kg at most. Compare that to spacecraft with the relative utility load of a standard airplane...
knasser

QUOTE (Draconis)
Why use an orbital launcher? Entirely unnecessary. Use a spirit to take your satellite/missile/whatever up as high as it can go then boost from there. Hell we have monowire strung between two toasters up there along with a nuke controlled by an AI from a coffee machine.

Orbital launchers are just for extremely heavy payloads and trust me you don't need one of those to do damage.

Use it as an assasination tool against Great Dragons. Even Lofwyr can't do much in a mana void.

You just have to get them to sit in it.
Draconis
QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 1 2006, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Use it as an assasination tool against Great Dragons. Even Lofwyr can't do much in a mana void.

I suspect GDs have metamagics that help them supress the whole dual natured bit or possibly to carry a manaflow with them like a mobile filtering effect or really fast temporary cleansing.
knasser
QUOTE (Draconis)
QUOTE (Draconis)

I suspect GDs have metamagics that help them supress the whole dual natured bit or possibly to carry a manaflow with them like a mobile filtering effect or really fast temporary cleansing.

I'm out dead-panned. frown.gif

Um, you did realise I was joking, didn't you?
Draconis
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Joke? What is this joke you speak of?

Yes biggrin.gif , but you think someone won't try something wacky like that?
knasser
QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 2 2006, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 1 2006, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Nov 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis)

Joke? What is this joke you speak of?

Yes biggrin.gif , but you think someone won't try something wacky like that?

I'd love someone to try something like this. I mean how do you persuade a dragon into the capsule?

Dress it up with a big false front like a big-top and a carnival sign saying princess and virgin convention 2072?
Draconis
QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 3 2006, 05:57 PM)

I'd love someone to try something like this. I mean how do you persuade a dragon into the capsule?

Dress it up with a big false front like a big-top and a carnival sign saying princess and virgin convention 2072?

I like your style Knasser, hmmm must be my half british blood. That's a good start but you could also offer them 6.5 million nuyen to get in. Right Frank? eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012